Help

Forum >> Help >> Huge defensive error. Can this be avoided.   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Nope. It's a significant weakness in the game. There's nothing you can do about it.

For what it's worth, to the best of my knowledge I have never had a defensive replacement. 21 seasons and counting.
FreddyTheEye

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Is "replace for defence" checked for Rhodes on the management page?? If not, I doubt he comes out.

There are instances where players do come in for defence in the game. I don't want to speak for the developer but I don't think it works as intended and for some as Mike said, it doesn't seem to work at all.
I'm not at all sure how it works.
I'm also not sure if it helps having your back up SS listed on the line up page as the back up but it might matter also.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't know if replace for defense has been tweaked, but I've seen 3 replacements already this season. The latest from yesterday. I was amazed by this one. McCarty isn't even a 1B (tho much better at it than Stern - was a nice move by my manager).

(It's implied by your post that Rhoads was toggled replace for defence. I'm operating under that assumption).

I never know for certain what moves my manager is going to make with a given collection of players. The early part of the season is spent figuring out what is going to happen on certain settings. If you don't like what happens on a certain setting you either change the setting or change your players.

I've played this game for a while. I honestly can't remember ever pinch hitting for my SS (and I've had some bad bats at short). Pinch hitting is quite liberal - you could be up 9 and your manager will still pinch hit. In a sense, I think you should look at the settings from a probability point of view. From my perspective, in the majority of situations I want my starting SS to stay in the game. The less frequent occurrences when it would benefit to pinch hit for him aren't worth the risk of messing up my defence in other games.
Garnet

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks for your input guys.
For what it is worth to the discussion, I do have Rhoads checked for replace for defense..and my back up is listed as a replacement.

Start of the season tweaking for me I guess. Just an oddity... my manager is a 13 for defense as well.

I have moved my SS to "no pitch hit" until the 9th. I'll see how it plays out. Maybe it was a once a random thing.

Thanks again.

Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
No idea about my opponent's settings, but here you have a defensive replacement at SS (apart from Spring training)

Bottom 8th: Laredo
Chu comes in to pitch.
Tang comes in to play defense at short stop.
Correa strikes out.

Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Maybe it was a once a random thing.

This is not the take-away I was hoping you'd get. :)

The manager's actions are extremely consistent and predictable. Without a change to your roster and/or lineup Rhoads will always be the pinch hitter. He will always be left in the game.

If you don't like how it worked, you need to do something different or it will happen again.

@ Frankebasta

That's a really instructive example, especially alongside the one I posted.

I have long assumed replace-for-defence looked at a difference between the current fielder and the bench option. What both these examples suggest (to me) is that the bench option is irrelevant. Replace-for-defence just looks at the current fielder, and if he is really bad he's replaced with whatever happens to be the best option on the bench.
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Here's one more instance of a defensive sub.

Bottom 8th: Laredo
Oyekan takes the mound to pitch.
Kekoa comes in to play defense at first base

Neither player has any qualification to play 1B.
I'm clueless :)
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Hah! So in this case, Franke, I picked up Jay on waivers earlier and am trying him out at 1B despite him not having any experience there. However, I decided "heh, if we're in a tight game, I have Hamby both on the bench AND assigned as the backup in the lineup." So I have "Replace for defense" set for Jay, but only in the eighth inning.

Why the hell the engine decides to bring in Kekoa rather than Hamby is almost beyond me. This ONLY makes sense if the engine COMPLETELY ignores whether or not the player has experience at 1B and just says "herp derp, looks like Kekoa has 16 Fielding and 16 Range, let's DOOOO EEET!"

This REMAINS one of my biggest gripes about the game, the way defensive subs are handled, not only in regular season games, but also in ST games.

Updated Wednesday, April 3 2019 @ 7:34:54 am PDT
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Another interesting example. I don't think it shows position knowledge is irrelevant. Lots of examples show a preference for position knowledge. Replacement almost certainly (imo) weights position knowledge and the defensive skills in some fashion.

Here Kekoa's defensive skills are vastly better than Hamby. (Hamby also has partial position knowledge).

---

If replace-for-defence is just looking at the current player (and not comparing the current player to bench options) that may explain why it hasn't seen much improvement. The threshold needs to be kept stringent (really bad defensive players) to limit the number of replacements. Otherwise, after a replacement or two, you could potentially be bringing worse players off the bench. (Not a problem in spring because full 50 man roster + who cares about defence anyway).

I'd assumed making RfD work better was a matter of tinkering with thresholds. But now I suspect it would take a complete reworking of the mechanism for it to be more responsive.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Every few seasons I'll put my worst possible guy into a middle infield spot in a meaningless game to see if the non-fielder gets pulled for the real guy. It has never happened.

If you're lucky enough to have the guy you want to come in for defense is also the same person the AI will use as a pinch hitter for the starter, you can get the right guy in there by that method.

Example:Crawford coming in for Sullivan.

Previous Page | Show All |