Help

Forum >> Help >> Roster Help   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Sammyru

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Looking for a little help the set up my line up and possibly shrinking down my roster a bit.

Thanks!
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
You've made some nice additions since you've taken over. Morales, Hess and Feliciano are all good pieces.

I'm impressed with the pitching. Seems like a relatively young and capable group. Flores scares me a little. :). Maybe keep an eye on him.

You've got several guys with hitting skill under 10. They are really going to struggle offensively. To justify their roster spot they need to be very good defensively at a key position (SS, CF). Painful because some of those guys have a lot of SI, but you may be able to make some cuts there.

You do have some decisions to make. Morales and Hess are both 26 and should be called up. If it were me, Morales would be the starting SS.

Hess is trickier. You could use him at 2B and he'd be fine (14 is a tad low range for 2B, but everything else checks out). You could also plant him at 1B. (1B is kind of weak - Cleary magnificent defensively but limited offensively). Hess is probably going to struggle for a couple of seasons as he develops. Might want to platoon him this season to minimize the pain.

Have a decision at 3B too. If you are going to pay Feliciano 3.25 million you need to find a place for him in the lineup. 3B is a better position for him then SS (10 field and 14 range both a little low for short). Putting him at 3B would mean bumping Vegara (your best player and gold glove 3B) to the OF. That would totally suck, but is an option trying to fit these pieces together.

I like Dos Santos. His bat is never going to be good, but he is an excellent defensive CF. Think it's worth sticking his bat at the bottom of the order to get him roaming CF.

Hope that gives you some ideas.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I'll add my two cents, starting with your minors because that's where I looked first (and some of this will echo Seca's statements). Bear in mind this is advice, don't go making wholesale changes if you don't want to.

Minors

Yes, Hess needs to come up but I don't like his groundball tendencies and his Range isn't ideal for 2B but sometimes you just have to live with that, work with what you have.
Morales absolutely should be your starting SS.
Pringle is a cut for me, no positive pitch comment and a lot of points wasted in Range and Arm.
McMahon is another cut, control issues are a no-no for many people (some people can make them work, but the higher you go the more problems they cause you).
Not a fan of Green, he's a borderline SS with that Arm (prefer 15+) and he's no hitter so I wouldn't have him at 2B either, perhaps as a reserve at best.
Polanco would make for a really good 3B with that defensive profile, Range is only borderline for the OF too.
Steele has an ideal 2B defensive build.
Guillory is another borderline prospect, decent hitting, range and arm to play OF, but average everywhere else.
Barrios might never make it but still has a season or two of growth for you to find out - if he moves slowly I'd bail on him.
De Luna is a lottery win - a 5th round 16 POT?!? Better hope he grows quickly!

Majors - Hitters

Before I start let me say this: I'll mention it on a couple of players, but if you can afford your best guys then keep them. If your finances are dipping then think about cutting some and getting in younger, cheaper guys. Also, I like hitters who can HIT first and foremost, then get on base or hit for power (or both, or all three for that matter). Low Hit skill players should have excellent numbers elsewhere or play a prime defensive position like SS.

Beauchamp is a nice SS, if you can stand that awful hitting, and a good stopgap defensive C (and OF). A .230 AVG is probably his ceiling, and personally I wouldn't have him, not when you already have Morales ready for SS.
Cleary should have been a 2B and can't really hit, I'd move on.
Cuevas is a prime example of a guy who can be decent at the lower levels who will struggle as you climb the ladder - 10 hitting is not sustainable, but its not like Berry, Parks or Santos (straight cut for me) are any better.
Carey's production surprises me but now that he's 34 and dropped 6SI (11SI last two years) I'd cut him, he's also not a 3B.
Vergara is niiiiiice, I just hope your finances are decent!
Pagan is no SS, he's 3B (or 1B) at best though he's too old to re-train. DH fits but again, cost.
Szymanski can't hit (at all), doesn't have the glove for SS, so even with all that SI he's a cut for me.
Feliciano can get on base, and he can play 3B or C or OF. If you can afford him, keep him - my offence is built around guys at the top of the order who can get on base. Just seems like a lot of money to be paying for a guy who isn't Vergara, at your level.
Murillo should have been a SS and he can't hit, plus he's coming off a career outlier season - I'd cut him all day long. No way he repeats that this season.
Ford is...another SS shoulda-been. I see (at last) the theme of a strong defensive team, which does work.
Dos Santos - CUT. I don't think you need another defensive reserve, you need hitters by this point.
Brewer hits too many groundballs, I'd probably look to replace him.

Majors - Pitching

Pitchers should have a positive pitching comment in their report (eg. major league fastball, or breaking ball). Good Movement skill and no negative control comments are what you really want to look for.

Brandt is another guy who had a career outlier season last year, but all that defense behind him certainly helped - an ERA 1.50 better than his FIP?! But he gives up a frightening amount of homers which defense can do nothing about - this is the downside of pitchers (especially flyball pitchers) with poor Movement skills.
Bales is just like Brandt, but worse. I'd "bale" on him. ;)
Wiggins is my ideal pitcher - great pitching stats (always take Movement over Change of Speed), groundball pitcher, gives up less than 1 homer per 10 IP. I'll take those guys all day long.
Not a fan of Cormier and he may have capped his SI, but see how he goes I guess.
Naranjo is...meh, and Flores got shelled last year so more of the same looks likely.
Landry and Beals are decent.
Cruz I'm not convinced, might be your defence helping an average pitcher again. Same with Davies.
Venturi's control is a concern for me, wait and see how he performs this season. Same for Ascencio, though seems to be working for him thus far.
Klein is a wait-and-see, don't have high hopes but seems to have done well thus far too.

Overall, very decent team just needing some minor tweaks and monitoring. You look to have all the right ideas, so good luck!

Previous Page | Show All |