Help

Forum >> Help >> The game engine will use an unassigned pitcher?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
jakala2018

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Yes, the AI will pick 'Unassigned' in your case.

So what, I have to completely move a player to AAA if I don't want the engine to use a pitcher in a given game?

Yes, the AI Logic thought since you bring him / 'Unassigned' to the field then he is ready to be played anytime.
If you don't want to play him, just leave him at home (AAA).

I believed 'Unassigned' at BB means he has no specific role (as pitcher) and can be played anytime according to Game Engine Algorithm.
Its different than 'Not to be Played'.

*PS: I think reliever pitcher algorithm for SP should be more detail at manual.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
It's news to me also. I thought the AI would pick someone from the bullpen if the LR was too fatigued, not an unassigned pitcher.
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I wonder how difficult it would be to code in a "no pitch" slot. In other words, have a slot called No Pitch that will flag a player as not to be used. If I'm like the only one who would want it, then no, don't worry about it. I'm just picturing a situation (like mine) where an owner says "I don't want to this guy to pitch under any condition for this game." *shrug*
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Help forum reader 1: "What's the crowd about?"

Help forum reader 2: "Corvallis had a guy throw 95 pitches Tuesday, then tried to start him again on Thursday."

Help forum reader 1: "Oh man .... The old 2 man starting rotation. And during inter-division."

Help forum reader 2: "Ya. Everyone's waiting around for Seca to come through and lose his mind over pitcher fatigue."

Help forum reader 1: "Seriously. What's that dude's problem? Why can't he be helpful instead of ranting all the time."

Help forum reader 2: "For sure. It does seem there is a little gray here. If a starter is unavailable, you would expect the ME to try SS -> LR1 -> LR2 instead of using unassigned."

Help forum reader 1: "I've seen it jump LR1 and use LR2 when LR1 has a little fatigue. ME does seem to look for a full fatigue bar."

Help forum reader 2: "Ah. Even so. If you check the rules the flow chart for extreme pitch count has unassigned guys as a last resort."

Help forum reader 1: "Replacing a starter is different. I seem to remember posts complaining about unassigned guys starting in spring training. My guess is unassigned slots in between LR and MR when filling a starting spot. Admin would know for sure."

Help forum reader 2: "Ya. What do you think about the no pitch suggestion?"

Help forum reader 1: "Doesn't seem necessary. Roster -> Reassign -> Confirm is the same # clicks as Pitcher -> Reassign -> Confirm. I do that all the time with position players when I don't want them to pinch hit."

Help forum reader 2: "Ya. Well, doesn't look like Seca is going to show. I've got things to do. If Admin stops by and elaborates on the starting pitcher replacement algorithm, give me a shout."

Help forum reader 1: "Will do."
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Wow, some snark factor in there, I think. Not sure how to take that response.

Am I essentially being berated for wanting to manage my team how I want, even if it leads to horrible consequences?

Or is this just humor through and through?

Or simply a veiled "stop bitching about stupid things" commentary?

*walks away confuzzled*
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I'd assume humor.

Why is Seca's recap twice as long as the thread...

*walks away confizzled*
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I would assume choosing the SP works the same as the lineup. If you don't have a valid option (starter is too fatigued and no SS assigned), the AI just chooses the pitcher they think is best. When they do that for the lineup we usually complain, so not surprising we aren't happy with the results here either. Demoting a guy to AAA seems reasonable to me. When I unassigned a pitcher I actually do want him to be used excessive pitch count situations.

EDIT: following Seca's outline I wasn't sure if I should pick up on line 6 or 7. Hopefully this post scratches both those lines a bit :)

Updated Saturday, February 2 2019 @ 11:23:22 am PST
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I learn new things about this game all the time. I guess I'll add that I don't want to sound like a self-entitled dick-weed in the process; if there's something in the rules and I missed it, inform me.

I made an assumption (has word "ass" in it) that Unassigned means the player won't be used. Apparently I didn't check the rules to find "Game Engine Algorithm Discussion." For now, I'll just take that as Seca's way of saying "read the friendly manual" (RTFM).

Updated Saturday, February 2 2019 @ 11:31:47 am PST
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't think it is in the rules. Only relief pitching algorithms are highlighted.

I just assume it works the same way as lineups. If my starting Catcher and backup Catcher are both injured, the AI chooses the best remaining player on the bench to play Catcher. And often I disagree with its choice.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Wow, some snark factor in there

I was attempting to make fun of myself. Many of us who have been here a while have a well ground axe or two we carry around with us. Using starters on absurdly short rest is one of mine.

I did try to provide some assistance in there, but it was convuluted and opaque.

Previous Page | Show All |