Help

Forum >> Help >> Minor league stats   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
michaeltodd2

Paradise Valley Cubs
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Is there any info to be divined by studying the minor league stats? Any correlation...or anything at all? Thank you
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Yes. You can learn a lot. The easiest things to see are splits, GB/FB, BB/K, HR tendencies and base stealing aggressiveness. These can all be seen very clearly from the stats without much digging. Pitchers who give up a lot of HRs in the minors generally continue the practice in the majors ;)

I also think you can learn some about the rating accuracy for a player. If he seems like he should be performing better/worse at his given level than his ratings show, it can give you some clue as to which direction his ratings are inaccurate.

Updated Tuesday, January 1 2019 @ 10:19:12 pm PST
michaeltodd2

Paradise Valley Cubs
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Can you please explain what is acceptable ratios of GB/FB and BB/K? So i know what to look for. What's average - below and above? Thank you!
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Acceptable GB/FB ratio would be anything above 1.00
Lower than 1 means you will get more fly balls.
That's not inherently bad: tall outfield walls and good fielding OF might offset that disadvantage.

BB/K ratio can be anywhere: 3/5 for low control+ low velocity, 1/4 for 20- control Pitchers.
Both can be successful (or failures).
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Just to clarify, you want 1+ GB/FB for pitchers. For power hitters you generally want below 1.00 or lower. More flyballs generally equates to more HRs. So high GB/FB for pitchers and low GB/FB for power hitters.
hurstdm

Murfreesboro Moo Cows
VI.5

Broken Bat Baseball
My opinion is that there tends to be some correlation between minors stats and League stats, but there's also a huge amount of noise. Some hitters and pitchers hugely over- or under-perform. If you can figure out how to read the signal from deep inside the noise, you'll do well. You also might discover aliens from another dimension.

Previous Page | Show All |