Help

Forum >> Help >> should this not be a save   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
danielpaton

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
He met all the criteria. He finished. He was not the winner. The tying run was on deck. So again I ask why no save? Time to redefine your save criterion?
Krakonico

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
http://brokenbat.org/game/956620 In this one, the last pitcher would get a save too... he met the criteria:
  • He is the finishing pitcher in a game won by his team;
  • He is not the winning pitcher;
  • He is credited with at least ⅓ of an inning pitched; and
  • He satisfies one of the following conditions:
    • He enters the game, regardless of the count, with the potential tying run either on base, at bat or on deck.

http://brokenbat.org/game/956692 This game is similar, and the pitcher was awarded with the save, he entered with the tying run on deck since there were nobody at bases. (yes, the game was only two runs of difference)

Updated Wednesday, May 29 2013 @ 4:45:11 pm PDT
danielpaton

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
From these examples its pretty obvious that the save logic is broken in that it ignores valid saves only because the game is more than a 3 run difference. I expect Steve will soon confirm it. Its not rocket science. In fact its actually the only way to explain it.
danielpaton

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Another save in the last game for me not credited with Elliot entering the game up 4 runs with 2 men on base. This is not acceptable. Lol my guy deserves better.
nobodyjones

Seattle Rickey
IV.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Those batters are still on deck when the pitcher comes in. The tying run is still in the dugout.

Updated Thursday, May 30 2013 @ 5:47:13 am PDT
Krakonico

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Applewood 3, Cape Coral 10

Top 9th: Applewood
McMahon takes the mound to pitch.
Bradshaw hits a single to the pitcher.
Robinson comes in to pitch.
Aleman draws a walk.
Yoo flies out to left field.
Hamilton hits a double to left field. Bradshaw comes in to score. Aleman advances to third base. (Applewood 4, Cape Coral 10 - two on base)
Gross draws a walk. (Applewood 4, Cape Coral 10 - three on base)
Ono grounds to the pitcher. Aleman is thrown out at the plate by Robinson. Hamilton advances to third base. Gross advances to second base. Ono reaches first on a fielder's choice. (Applewood 4, Cape Coral 10 - three on base)
Bolden hits a single to right field. Hamilton comes in to score. Gross comes in to score. Ono advances to third base. (Applewood 6, Cape Coral 10 - two on base... tying run on deck, not the dugout)
Martin comes in to pitch. <--- here's the last pitcher
Hara draws a walk. (Applewood 6, Cape Coral 10 - three on base)
Andrade grounds to the pitcher. Andrade is thrown out at first by Martin. <--- this was the batter on deck, the second batter Martin faced, if by any chance he would got a hit or a walk, then the tying run would be on base and a 7-10, 8-10, 9-10 or 10-10 if that would be a grand slam. So according to the rules that would be a save.
Applewood 6, Cape Coral 10
Mig2012

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, when the pitcher comes in to pitch, the score is 10-6, there's a man on 3B, a man on 1B, a man at bat and the potential tying run on deck.

This should have been a save situation.

Updated Thursday, May 30 2013 @ 8:36:45 am PDT
danielpaton

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
quote]Those batters are still on deck when the pitcher comes in. The tying run is still in the dugout.[/quote]

We are beyond the stage of arguing about whether this is in fact a save. Saves in baseball statistics are an exact science. There is no ifs no buts no maybes. Theres a distinct set of rules and in all the cases in this thread these rules have been fullfilled but no save has been given. There is nothing to argue about in that respect.

How do you come to the conclusion that the tying run is still in the dugout when Elliot enters. There is 2 men on base when he enters with my team up 4 runs. This means the tying run is the 2nd batter he faces which means its on deck so it is in fact a save.

I may come across as a bit rude in this thread but please forgive me as i feel like i have been completely repeating myself over and over again and am getting absolutely no where when its obvious that im right and even 99% of other players agree.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Okay, I went through the code last night and made some changes to better account for saves. There wasn’t an explicit error, but the algorithm used was overly simple. I think this should resolve these issues.

Steve
danielpaton

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Awesome! this is good news.
Most likely this wont be retroactive in respect to the non saves awarded but i guess it doesnt matter that much as long as its sorted

Previous Page | Show All |