Help

Forum >> Help >> Advice for the next level   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
12twelve

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
After being a yo-yo between LLVI and LLV the last several seasons, I'll be making another run in LLV next season after a very successful year. Much of the youth I have been developing since I took over are starting to produce, and I have several position players ready to promote to the Show.

But in the past, I have failed miserably in LLV, so I'm turning to the BB community to seek advice on what I should do next year and the coming years to make the jump up a couple of levels.

My thoughts are this: I am feeling pretty comfortable with my current major league roster of position players, and there are four or five more in AAA that will be recommended next season. I am fairly young and I think my offense will carry me pretty far in the coming years. My pitching isn't bad right now, but I have several guys in their 30s and not much support in my minors. This is an area of focus for the next couple of seasons.

I think that next season might finally be the year I break through, and don't feel like I should make any significant changes. But, that philosophy hasn't worked in the past so I'm seeking some advice I could use for next season.

If you had my team, what would you do?
FreddyTheEye

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Is your catcher the coaches son?

Get a catcher that can hit a little to fill in until the young guys show up and focus on drafting/acquiring a couple quality pitchers (as you've already identified).
Be patient and play all those studs win or lose next season.
I believe you are on your way to legends tbh.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
That is a solid roster, should do very well. My thoughts:-

C: Hardy should have stuck at SS with that elite fielding profile. That way you could have played Brunner at 3B and played a better hitter at C. From your current roster I'd play Frost here, or even Stark (but see below on him). Cooney in AAA looks a better OF, has the speed, range and arm for it and the first two are wasted at C.

1B: Valasquez is a great bat, but look at those fielding errors - I'd play him at DH, or OF. Though he's a righty Stark would make a ton of sense here: great glove, no range.

2B: This belongs to Saenz for seasons to come, enjoy. Quarles is an ideal fielding replacement, but Frost (C/OF) and Balcerowicz (OF) aren't suited here.

3B: Bonner or Brunner are ideal here, nice problems to have. I'd have tried one of these two at C with Hardy at SS, like I said before.

SS: I'm not knocking putting your best player here, I've done the same. I just think Hardy is wasted at C.

OF: I've already covered Stark, and Rosen with his 12 Range is just enough for me, I'd probably play him at 1B. I like Blank - I had him for a while before a roster crunch forced him out. Galindo is solid but I'm not sure Conner will hit enough, Palma would be better at SS and Kaneko needs to hit the higher end of his good hit report. Defensively this is a great OF (this formula has worked for Thunder Bay for many seasons) and you have more down on the farm, but I'd prefer more hitting (which is why I'd move Valasquez here).

Pitching looks good but starting to get old at the top (as you've mentioned). Minors also look good. I'm not a fan of managers who have a negative hitting report and particularly not a negative development report, but he's good enough elsewhere and I guess he'll do for a few more seasons.

But that's just my thoughts as I would handle the team, feel free to follow or ignore as you please. You're on the right track.
12twelve

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@Freddy. Wow! That is some high praise from someone who's been there. Thank you! I'm hoping that your prediction comes true! As for my catcher, I've been a little weak there and have him back there for his arm.

@amalric7 there are some very interesting takes in there, and some possibilities that I hadn't considered, including my current catcher situation. I plan to really look at your ideas as there is some solid logic to them.

Sometimes I get too locked in to what my initial assessments are and don't consider how some other options may appear as players develop. This is exactly why I felt a need to post this to see how others might manage my roster.

Thank you both for your thoughts. I'm truly excited to see if I can one day make a post in the Legends discussion forum as a member, and see that Bikers logo represented!

Previous Page | Show All |