Help

Forum >> Help >> Thoughts on Minimum Stamina to Start?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
occham

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Anyone have any experience with a 10 stamina pitcher starting?

I'm very tempted to try it out on Cruz Alba but I'm curious how it works in practice.

AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 It’s doable with a low pitch count, but in my experience it seems to work better with high control pitch-to-contact guys. High-velocity strikeout pitchers and low-to-mid control guys (and especially both) seem to run up their pitch counts too quickly to go deep into games, which is going to add wear and tear on the bullpen. I’d say Cruz might be a good candidate to experiment with for three or four starts, but I’d keep a close eye on him.
occham

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Gratci!
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
How about 8 Stamina?

Baird hasn't turned into the perennial CY winner I'd hoped when I landed him, and I never thought his Stamina would cap so low (especially after he threw 250 innings his second season in the minors)! But he's my ace. Any time I've tried him in LR or in the pen he hasn't been that effective, and I'd rather hope for 6-8 solid innings from him than have a lesser starter get shelled and have Baird come in with the game out of reach.

Also, he tooks his lumps in his rookie season of 2031 while we were rebuilding, and although he's an extreme groundball pitcher (and gives up few homers) I've fielded youngsters in the MI the last couple of seasons and haven't yet reaped the benefits (they're still developing).

Finally, and this won't be written in any rulebook, Baird has suffered a ton of bad luck. If we blew one game in a series, be it through a fielding or bullpen error, it would be a Baird start every time. If he held an opponent to one run we wouldn't score; if he held them to six we'd score five. Which is why his W/L record is so poor. He's deserved much better.

Updated Tuesday, July 17 2018 @ 4:09:29 pm PDT
Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I've never started an 8 stamina guy, except in games that don't count to get him experience. The minimum for a starter is 75 pitches plus the rest of the at bat, and while in some cases a fatigued pitcher miraculously carries a shutout to 130 pitches because nobody else is available, such starts have a tendency to turn into disasters.
10 stamina on a guy with good stuff and good control should be no problem to get you through 5 or 6 innings. So, if your bullpen is more than just guys who are not good enough to start, why not.
This guy http://brokenbat.org/player/106519 (with 10 stamina at the time) was a surprising failure as a closer before becoming a very serviceable (although usually not great) legends league starter for Manhattan. The highlight of his career was a 97 pitch outing in league 3 in 2033, in which the game engine was smart enough not to pull him in spite of exceeding his pitch count, so he could complete the no-hitter against the dominant team of the division.

Updated Wednesday, July 18 2018 @ 3:28:34 am PDT
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
See Trent. Note GS vs. QS. Like others said, you're probably not going to get many 6+ inning outings from your 10 Stamina pitcher.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Going 6+ innings is overrated. We have 13 pitching spots and you can shuffle guys in and out if necessary. There's no reason to not try him as a starter if that's what you want from him. I almost always have at least one guy in my five-man rotation that has 10 or less stamina.
hurstdm

Murfreesboro Moo Cows
VI.5

Broken Bat Baseball
I've started several pitchers with 10 Stamina, but that's probably my minimum with my current model.

One scouting report says: "He will have the stamina to be a starting pitcher." A relevant question to bounce around is: "How many pitches is that suggesting he can throw?" I don't know.

Previous Page | Show All |