Help

Forum >> Help >> Need Help Deciding a Player's Defensive Position   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
jetsrock48

Davenport Cobras
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
http://brokenbat.org/player/149063 is the player in question. Off the bat, he probably seems like a 2B, but I have a player in AAA that I consider to be a stronger play at 2B (with a weaker arm). That player is http://brokenbat.org/player/150870 I also have a 30 year old with similar defensive stats currently a 1B, so I could in a few years switch Hodgson to 2B and Baca to 1B, but I'm more concerned with the next 3ish years. My system lacks any true SS or 3B - that being said I converted my former 3B into a SS last season: http://brokenbat.org/player/116320 while his offensive stats are not very good, he is my best option at SS that can hit to hold up his job.

So I'm trying to decide whether to play Hodgson at 3B, which he doesn't have the arm for. Or to play him at SS - where he'd be a downgrade from Arias but and put Arias back a 3B. I plan on all 4 players mentioned to be part of my future and would like to start all of them, just trying to decide where. (Apologies for links to pages, not sure how to edit that part).

Updated Wednesday, May 9 2018 @ 6:41:47 am PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Arias is a better SS, but not a long term option. There is value in having a long term option. I'd play Hodgson at SS. Of course depends on your season goals as well.
Noodle

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The problem is Hodgeson has an akward defensive build he has no obvoius position. I'd consider putting him in LF. Although it's a waste of his feilding skills it might be you best chance to develop your young core.
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
With those kind of players who are average-ish in fielding my choice is to play them where ever there's a hole in the lineup.

A few considerations here:
- this is no RL. Players won't held a grudge for being moved around :)

- in BB there's no way to gauge the defensive skills prowess. Hitting skills we recognize as fallacious. Fielding? We can not. So, in case of need I'd take a flier that the player is better than shown

- in BB we don't even know how important Defense is. We can not run any sabermetrics here.

Coclusion: what if defensive skills are not overly meaningful?
My take is I don't mind playing _one_ players out of position, if his bat is worth it.

Updated Sunday, May 13 2018 @ 5:49:40 am PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
But what if they are important? I think its a mistake to completely ignore a factor just because it can't be easily measured.

I don't think Hodgson has a bad defensive build. Sure it would be great if his Range was a bit higher, but 14 isn't bad. I think his build is perfectly fine for 2B, and I think he is a passable SS. Better Arm strength would be nice, but I personally prioritize that less then fielding and range at SS.
amalric7

New York Lancers
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I'd keep Hodgson at SS, although he is probably better in the OF or at 3B (an average arm doesn't phase me there), because Arias won't be around forever. Baca appears a better option at 2B, but given skills aren't exact there is at least a chance Hodgson might be better - nice problems to have!

Previous Page | Show All |