Help

Forum >> Help >> Position for Minor League Player   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
xLee227

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
What position would you train Bloom at?

Some background:
- I have a ton of outfielders in my minors, and don't have a single player being trained at SS/2B/3B outside of AAA (SS in particular is a problem as I only have a soon-to-graduate 25 year old in my entire system who's qualified to play the position)
- Started with him at SS hoping his 16 Range/20 Arm could overcome not having any positive defensive scouting but he struggled a lot (.877 Fielding, 41 errors!) and I started second-guessing having a SS without positive defensive scouting given the fielding struggles of Alexander on my ML roster
- I then decided to try Bloom at C with his 20 arm but he only caught 20% stealing, although it is a relatively small sample size of just 6/30 attempts
- He's currently only trained at OF, but has 77 games at SS and 30 at C

Should I just keep him the OF, where his build would be best suited despite my lack of infield depth? Or should I stick it out at SS despite his lack of positive fielding scouting? Or put him behind the plate despite his 16 range and poor caught stealing percentage? Or maybe another position entirely, such as 3B?
JJNZ

Yakima Monster
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I'd be inclined to throw him at 3rd if he's not going to be in the OF for you, he'd also be great at C but I feel that 16 range would be a bit wasted - great as a back up C who can spell your regular guy though?
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I would do SS or 3B. Whichever is the greatest area of need.

As you said, he's best suited to the OF (where he would be an elite RF).

Tho he doesn't have fielding scouting, with 15 potential I think its possible he reaches 12-13 anyway. This is less than ideal at both SS and 3B, but should be playable.

(As a switch hitter, may be he ultimately ends up playing OF vs. 1 hand of pitcher and infield vs. the other to make your platoons work.)
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
If I had him, with my Turf stadium, I'd train him at 3B
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Definitely depends on projected need. I would be leery about putting an unknown glove at SS.

Range might be wasted at C, but that arm is very nice. I'd probably go C myself. I'd go 3B before going SS. Can always fall back to CF if nothing else.

EDIT: I wouldn't stress about the FPC or the CS%. A lot of that can be attributed to have very little position experience currently at SS and C.

Updated Tuesday, December 19 2017 @ 2:04:23 pm PST
amalric7

New York Lancers
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Absolutely agree with Rock, that's exactly my approach. SS is a no-no, and an elite arm behind the plate is worth its weight in gold. C then 3B for me, CF/RF as a backup plan as he already has full OF eligibility.
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 Without a defensive report, I wouldn’t even consider him for SS or 3B. The arm definitely looks sexy behind the plate, but with that range I’d be tempted a lot more toward CF or RF.
Mcdoogle

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'd train him C/OF, i'd kill for an arm like that behind the plate.

Previous Page | Show All |