Help

Forum >> Help >> New player, advice needed   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Always draft, as it is the only chance to get high quality players without competition. Given you are in LL VI, you're team is really old, players' skills only go down after 32 in this game (unless they haven't gotten any major league playing time yet) and so there is little point in keeping players past 33 or 34 in LL VI since there is nowhere to go but up in the pyramid. Use free agents and waiver claims to fill the open spaces created by cuts.

There are many great threads that teach about the game, many are linked here.

Edit: I see 5 pitchers and 7 position players I would cut immediately (if the new player release restrictions allow you to) due to being old alone. I see your team is in line for a possible promotion, and you might ask why mess with that, well look at your team's history and you will see your roster is good enough to win VI, but not good enough to avoid finishing in last place at LL V. The sooner you start rebuilding, the sooner it will come to fruition and you can start actually going somewhere instead of ping ponging back and forth between V and VI.

Updated Monday, December 4 2017 @ 4:14:29 am PST
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
But be aware of this: Waivers/free agents close tomorrpw so you won't be able to sign anyone beyond draft picks until after the season flip. So you shouldn't cut too much today. There will be no replacements available. Cut judicioisly until the end of the season grasshopper.

Plus you have room with only 43 players in your organization to sign a few free agents today. I would focus more on acquisition right now and cutting after the waiver cut off.

There is one 9 pot in your minors at rookie ball. I would cut him today.

Updated Monday, December 4 2017 @ 6:02:13 am PST

Updated Monday, December 4 2017 @ 6:03:49 am PST
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Also, keep this in mind. The positions that your young prospects know how to play when they're "born" or in the low minors does not have to be the positions you train them at to play when they reach the minors.

Sometimes (perhaps "often") young prospects start with position assignments that don't match their potential builds.

For example, your guys Moore is a SS. But he has a noodle for an arm, and so would probably be better suited for 2B. Further, his potential defense is only "Solid" so he may not even be suited for 2B... he may be more of a LF.

Those decisions are up to you. But just know that the positions your prospects already are at does not have to be what they are at in the future... and it also doesn't necessarily mean they are the most appropriate positions for them given their abilities.

Jeff
putijean

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks a lotfor the advice ( and the links). Very helpful. Been trying to take it all in.

I've got a couple more questions.

What age group should i be targeting with free agents and waivers? Should i go for really young players and just give them game time with the majors or do i go for olders players in their mid 20's and kinda use them as placeholders till i'm able to rpomote better players from the draft ?

Also is there any advantage to putting younger players in the majors, even though their recommendation is AAA or lower ?

For example i signed this free agent.
http://brokenbat.org/player/167716
Now with my best catcher being too old he's basically the best option i have for catcher but his recommended level is rookie. Do i ignore the recommended level and just promote him to the majors ?

Updated Monday, December 4 2017 @ 8:20:43 pm PST
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I think everyone on here would say not to do that. In fact, most folks would probably say don't promote until the game tells you, and even then, sometimes you want to hold them back a little more before promoting. But promoting before the player is ready is a surefire way to stunt them and probably harm their development.

Most players get the call to promote to majors by the time they are 25. Some players get the call earlier, depending on how good they are or how fast they've developed. If they reach 25 and haven't gotten the call, it's up to you -- at that point the game will no longer make a recommendation and assumes the player is major league ready.

I would stay with the minor league levels that are recommended by the scouting reports. Don't promote early.

My opinion, but I think everyone else will agree.

Jeff
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Another thing to keep in mind about your drafting and waiver wire pickups:

High School draftees have the longest time needed in the minors.

College players are usually in their low 20s and therefore are ready for the majors sooner.

Asian League players are usually ready, or ready in a season-ish.

For free agency and waivers, I'd look for players in the 23-25 range who are noooot quite ready for the majors. They are players other teams have given up on, or don't have the patience to wait for.

Also, if you pick guys on waivers/free agency that are 25 or 26 and a little behind in their development, you can play them in your majors right away and hope they get some good development "on the job" in the majors.

Last year I cut all my old and expensive players and filled my minors with young guys and filled my majors with 24-27 year olds off waivers/FA. Some of the 24-27 were a bust and I cut them. Some got some good development in as I played them through a tough season where I lost a lot.

This season, almost all the guys I still have have improved to the point where my team is making some things happen.

Updated Monday, December 4 2017 @ 8:39:40 pm PST
michaeltodd2

Paradise Valley Cubs
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
If anyone cares to give my team a brief scout/overview I'd seriously appreciate it. Thank you!
Hayseed

Hood River Hawks
IV.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Another newb here. I would love any insights into my roster.

I feel I have particular holes to fill at the major lg level (C, 3b, SS, CF and P).

A wave of pretty good 21-23 year old prospects, but who share same positions, so I might have to keep them in minors longer to get them exp at other positions. Such as either Garavaglia or Kaline into CF/RF.

I am thinking of keeping Gab "Impy" at 2B in AAA b/c my best player is at 2B still.

Maybe I am way off (likely having just joined BB a couple hours ago), but am totally open to advise.

Thanks.
dsz071

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Hayseed, Hood River was my team until a few days ago when I switched. Check out this link from a few months ago when I asked for advice. If you have any other questions on that team let me know. I'll be watching to see how you do with them. Good luck.
Hayseed

Hood River Hawks
IV.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Roster question:

should I not fill my Maj roster to keep some 22year olds in AAA to get more playing time even if AI says arrow up to Maj? Examples are: Gab "Impy" who is blocked by Quinones or Bowen as the 3rd C and Kaline blocked by Shoemaker. Higgins is an example at P.

What is the min # of P's I should carry on Maj roster? I have P's with pgood chem, so can I get by with 9-10?

I don't see winning this season at all, so my eye is on the long term .

Updated Saturday, February 24 2018 @ 12:50:53 pm PST

Previous Page | Show All |