Help

Forum >> Help >> Management tab   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
DodgerBlue42

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Curious for some of you guys who have found success at this game. How much to you tinker with the management controls as opposed to setting things to default. Do you tend to go more conservative or aggressive and does it change throughout the year?

Might be a stupid question, but hey I'm not the brightest bulb lol
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The vast majority of the fun I have here is tinkering with the settings and lineups. You have virtually no control over your rosters, so if you don't mess with settings and such, why play? I get the "different strokes" thing, but I'm always, and I mean always, messing around with settings. It's so bad that if I'm able to check out the team in the middle of games, I make changes before the next game starts. I do this almost every single game when I can.

While that's the case, I must say that you still will have fairly limited control over your team in-game. I do it, as I mentioned above, largely due to the fact that I at least can live in an illusion of having a little control by altering the settings.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
While I do change them based on match-ups, prolonged hot and cold performance, and other factors, changing them as much as Mike implied does play havoc with generating a large enough sample size to see what works and what doesn't. If you mess with your settings after every game it will be much more difficult to know whether a loss was caused by bad luck or bad settings.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I guess I should clarify my statements a bit. Here are the most common reasons I change my settings from game to game, in no particular order:
switch from LH starter to RH or vice versa, catcher change, injuries, quality of opposing starting pitcher.

In my previous post I lumped management settings and lineups together. I make changes to both all the time because I think the AI does a horrible job of making adjustments.
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I guess I should chime in on what I've begun doing re: management settings.

Now that I'm competing with my team and not expecting to tank all season, I'm caring about maximizing my chances of winning each game and series. So...

Each day I check which SP I have scheduled and compare that with my opponent:

- If their catcher in the LHP/RHP lineup has an amazing arm, I change all my stealing tendencies to normal except for my fastest of fast runners, which I set to +. If the catcher that will bat against my LHP/RHP has normal arm or a terrible arm, I adjust my stealing tendencies appropriately.

- If their aggregated Arm strength in the outfield is amazing, I also change all my base advancing aggressiveness the same way. Likewise, if their aggregated arm strength in the outfield against my LHP/RHP is normal or terrible I adjust my base advancing aggressiveness appropriately.

Then, I look at my SP scheduled to start that day. I look at how they've been doing, whether they are hot or cold. I adjust their Pitch Count settings up or down based on how they've been doing. Also, if there are RP that have been struggling, I adjust their Smallest/Largest RD settings so that they only come into the game in low-importance situations (i.e., winning or losing by more than 3 or 4. Basically, I try to keep my hot arms coming as the ones to come in at high-leverage moments.

Thankfully, I don't see any of this as 'work' because I also love tinkering and pouring over my roster and settings every day.

Jeff
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I usually make management changes based on trends/tendencies and not based matchups.

Like if a guy gets gunned down taking extra bases, I dial that setting back. One of the benefits to watching all games. Once I find a balance I tend to leave it alone. This I do for stealing, running, bunting....

I used to look at upcoming m atchups and adjust to them but decided I was possibly doing more harm than good.

Now I look at the opponent's rotation for L/R so I can set my lineups for a series. I will look at a few other things as time permits but rarely make adjustments unless it is just undeniable.
DodgerBlue42

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I appreciate everyone's input and help!

I feel like I've done the right things when it comes to stocking the roster with good talent and having good players in the farm system. I'm just not seeing good results throughout the season. I've promoted and demoted twice from LL6 to LL5 and I'm hoping that by implementing some sort of management strategy I can get to the higher league levels.

If there is anything I seem to be missing I would love further advice

Previous Page | Show All |