Help

Forum >> Help >> Players with terrible minor league stats?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
shikago

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Do players who consistently put up terrible numbers in the minor leagues ever go on to be really good when called up? Being great in the minors may not be a guarantee of success, but is being terrible a guarantee of failure?

I'm particularly curious about hitters who are recommended for call-up. And aren't underdeveloped. For example, I have a guy in AAA recommended for promotion. With a scouting report of great hitter & decent slugger. His career OPS is under .700 & he's worse than ever this year. (he might not be the best example as his sample size isn't big enough yet. But hypothetically let's say it is). Is this a player who will never amount to anything? Or does his minor league performance have nothing to do with it?

Updated Friday, October 27 2017 @ 10:24:21 am PDT
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Takeuchi is indeed a poor example. (I'd still leave him in AAA all year and see how he develops.)

How about a Rodrigo Montanez? I picked him up off waivers in 2028, my first season here. The previous owner most certainly dumped him because of that poor minor league performance, and the fact that Montanez was thrust into the Majors w/o any AAA time... well, he looks like a failure on the surface.

I ran him out for two mediocre seasons in LLVI, but he caught fire in 2030, about the time his Hitting and PD scores finally caught up to where they should be.

Yes, you can have a batter who doesn't do well in the minors and goes on to do well in the Majors, BUT you, the owner, need to carefully consider whether it's simply the player being underdeveloped for their minor league level or if it's something else directly affecting productivity (player has a long history of not being able to hit righties or simply didn't develop the PD and BC necessary to complement very good hitting, for example).
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
My personal view is that minor league playing stats represent the stage of a player's development (relative to his peers).

Eg., a 20 yr old with 70 SI at AA cannot be expected to put up numbers comparable to a 23 yr old with 85 SI at AA.

At some point, that 20 yr old will may make up the stagger. Then he'll be fine.

Boyd is the example I would point to. Always felt like he was overmatched for his placement, and he had a pretty miserable minor league career.

Until last season - his 2nd go round in AAA. Batted .300 with 18 HRs and an ops 200 points better than the rest of his minor league career.

Could certainly be argued that last season was a blip. And the jury is obviously out on how good a major league player he will be.
shikago

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks for the examples. (I did kind of want an excuse to dump 11 potential Takeuchi! But will hold onto him for now.)

Interesting theory about the stage of development. Though it's felt like over the years I've had some fairly developed 25 & 26 year olds stashed in the minors who were absolutely dreadful. And who got drastically outperformed by younger players at the same level with lower attributes across the board. (Unless I'm misremembering things?)

Updated Friday, October 27 2017 @ 12:07:29 pm PDT
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I was oversimplifying when I said SI, as the individual skill development is what has the impact (tho I think you recognized this in your reply).

But ya, its just a theory. Can link a player to prove almost anything. :) Markham for example gets worse every season he plays AAA.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I think performance can give some insight into how well a players is scouted. If a guy looks bad on paper but continually performs well, then maybe he is better than his report. Conversely if a guy has great abilities on paper, but continually under performs, maybe he is over rated by the scouts/managers.

Still to early to tell, but I'm still hoping Parsons will pan out despite a horrible minor league career...
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
That's a good observation. If a player has 13+ hitting in AA and puts up Mendoza seasons, cause for alarm.

Personally I haven't been in a position where I felt I could cut a player based on minor league stats. Always feel obligated to give decent stat build outs a chance.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
He's a pitcher but Solomon has scared me since I drafted him in the 1st round in 2027 (he was my one very good). Decent build for a lefty starting pitcher, but despite being a groundball pitcher who throws a reasonable amount of strikes his numbers have been terrible. He was also terrible in the spring and in his first pro start (in the Cup last night) he lasted just two innings. We'll see how he goes from here.

Previous Page | Show All |