Help

Forum >> Help >> Crazy to cut a gold glove short stop?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Geech

San Luis Obispo Turtles
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
So I'm thinking very hard about cutting my shortstop who won the gold glove just last season. Serna has six of the awards in his career, and he's still tied for the highest SI on my team. However, he has the following cons:
  • He lost some pretty critical SI in this years aging update. He had drops in hitting, power and fielding.
  • His offense has collapsed the last two years, due to bad performance against lefties. Prior to 2032 he had normal splits for a right-handed batter, but after the past two seasons his career numbers against righties are better(!). His overall performance still isn't terrible for a SS
  • He's exepensive. He's tied for the second-most expensive player on the roster, and I can definitely stand to trim some payroll after the significant raises this season.

His replacement would be Jang. Jang is even worse with the bat at the moment (he'll never be an offensive star), but his defensive looks really good. He doesn't have the SS position, but I expect it to pop soon with regular playing time. Most importantly, the dude is at the point in his career where he needs a lot of playing time to develop.

So, I'm think about cutting Serna for Jang. Am I crazy, or does this kind of make sense to others?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't think it is crazy. Serna is clearly in his twilight. You can expect him to perform worse than last year (which wasn't horrible, .705 OPS).

Jang needs LOTS of innings if you plan on him ever being able to play SS reliably. So if that is really your plan, you need to be playing him almost every game. Plus the innings will help him develop offensively.

I'd probably keep Serna around as a backup plan, but if you are looking to dump salary, it seems like a reasonable choice to me.
Garnet

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
If you play Jang at SS for 30 games in Spring training you may get lucky and he gets the ss before the league games. You will have to do the same thing next year.... Gives you 60 "free" games to develop him.
Then play him at Short all the time. He will get errors but his 14 fielding will go up and the errors will go down. Short term pain for long term gain.
If you are in danger of relegation would be the only reason not to do what you have planned I think.

I did this once with my 2B.... a little pain at first, but one of the best moves I made.
Geech

San Luis Obispo Turtles
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
Garnet, that's pretty much the development path I started last year. Jang had most of a year of SS development in the minors, plus he played SS in 2033 spring training. I'm hopeful that between spring training this year and the regular season, he'll pop lowercase SS.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I think I'm going to go for it.

Previous Page | Show All |