Help

Forum >> Help >> Player promotion question…   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 I’ve got a couple of guys down in the minors — Enrique Madrigal and Christian Lien — that I’m not really sure just how to handle. I accepted as soon as I drafted them that they’re never going to reach their lofty POT ratings, and their current rate of growth seems to bear this out. They’re still going to wind up as good players, but I’m not sure just what to do with their promotions at this point. My original plan for Madrigal was to leave him in AA this season (which I did), run him through AAA next season, and then pull him up to the Majors in time for the start of the 2035 season. I’m wondering if I shouldn’t just call him up and play him next season and see how far he’ll go. Lien has had me gritting my teeth ever since I drafted him, and only got promoted into A-ball just before the All Star Game this season. I’m currently planning on promoting him to AA before the 2034 All Star Game, then to AAA at the same time in 2035.

My question of the veterans here: How would y’all handle them?
JJNZ

Yakima Monster
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Madrigal still had a reasonable growth rate, I'd leave him in AA for at least the first if not the second training update - he needed 750PA's in A ball so is still well shy of that - if you need him now then promote him but if not just be as patient as you can - even if its a case of a week in the minors then a week in the majors to see what happens, and bring him for good at the end of the minor league season next year.

Lien looks like a lost cause to me, I'd cut my losses and let him go, although his numbers in the minors have been pretty good, so if you wanted to keep him then I'd advise to keep him in A ball for the first couple of updates next season and up to AA after that. Repeat the following season to get him in AAA and bring him up for good at the end of that minor league season.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm going to slightly disagree with my learn-ed friend. :)

Madrigal has had seasonal gains of 6, 7 and 6 (thus far), which is pretty good. I'd leave him down all of next season and probably split it evenly between AA and AAA (pre- and post-All Star break). You get better growth when split between all minor league levels, but if you have a guy like this you give him appropriate training at the lower levels and cram in what experience you can at AA and AAA before promoting them to the minors. Some experience at AAA is better than none and you get very little gains (if anything) in the minors after age 26, and certainly no playing time. Madrigal might get to 102 SI at the end of next season and 10-12 over two majors seasons would take him to 112-114 (and perhaps more), which is 14 POT territory and that would be decent enough. He's going to have a good hitting bat and can certainly field - the 19 Arm will play at C regardless - and will make a good player.

Lien I like. He had roughly a season and a half in rookie ball, and half a season in A ball. I think this season you might get to split between A and AA, which would allow you to split the 2035 season between AA and AAA before calling him up. With gains of 10 and 8 (so far) over two seasons he will move quick, and pitchers obviously can make huge gains with regular playing time over their first 2-3 majors seasons so I think he's on course to be a solid pitcher.

I think they're both pretty good prospects. International players can be hit-or-miss (which is why I avoid that pool!) but I think you landed two good ones.
Garnet

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Well, I have never drafted a 15POT so I may not be the best to answer! However, I would keep Madrigal in AA for 2 or 3 updates then move him to AAA. Play him hard in spring training - all 30 games this year and next. I see a good Catcher. Depending on your needs and how he grows he should be fine as a back up C at least. That 19 arm is attractive. I would put a waiver claim on him if he is cut.

Personally I will cut Lien...His control is 3 that skill (to me) is vital - and it isn't moving. I don't think he will get to where it needs to be in 2 seasons.
I looked at him as asked - would I put a waiver claim in?...The SI/age plus no control - I just can't see him working out for you.

Let us know what you do and how it works out.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I'd agree with giving Madrigal a few updates in AA before pushing him to AAA. He should be a good player regardless of not reaching his POT.

Lien is interesting. I think it is specifically his lack of Control that is keeping him down in the lower leagues. His other skills look reasonably developed for a 24 year old. Its worth remembering that pitchers can really fly when they get into the majors, and Lien has been progressing very well over the last two seasons. A 24 year old in A is a tough story, but I would probably just leave him there next year. Maybe bump him up to AA halfway through. He is probably going to need to stay down through 26.
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 If I’m reading this right, the consensus seems to be more or less lining up with my original plans for both of them. I did plan on Madrigal not going to AAA until after Spring Training and calling him up for the 2035 season, and splitting Lien between levels in the minors until he finishes half-a-season at AAA and a Spring Training the following season.

Previous Page | Show All |