Help

Forum >> Help >> Mentor   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Nxck9

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Looking for someone to mentor me. Any takers?
occham

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Given that I'm dead last Div VI, I'm definitely not the right person to mentor anyone but I can get you started with some reference material.

Link to Links

That thread has a lot of links to some of the more useful facets of the game.

Probably the singular most important thing I could say getting started is to take your time. Although there's stuff going on almost every day, most of the "team building aspect" is a pretty slow process. There's no advantage to tanking - you get the same number of draft picks with the same probabilities of success and the same chances to sign a guy off waivers if you're last or first. So you just have to keep plugging away over time and eventually talent will accumulate.

BTW: This thread isn't linked yet but might help you get a better expectation about what to expect from drafted player quality over time.

Draft Results

Updated Sunday, September 17 2017 @ 11:55:44 am PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I have the worst draft results of everyone on that thread, so maybe take this with a grain of salt, but here is a guide on drafting for position. I'd say get familiar with the other material first, and figure out what your team needs are. This is more of an intermediate guide for after your first full season:

Drafting for Position
mjreichard

New Orleans Knights
IV.5

Broken Bat Baseball
I inherited a team similar to yours, older players…I won a championship at V level, but then got killed at IV and am getting killed again at V and about to be relegated to VI. So…I am clearly not an expert yet! However, some of my mistakes you can maybe learn from…

… I never adjusted my ballpark size to my league level, which has caused me to lose a ton of money.

…While my older players all had solid years and we won a championship, I did not properly plan for their demise. They were great at 31/32 and the next year at 32/33 they all kept getting injured and underperforming. I did not have proper development of younger replacements. I am still fighting that battle 2 seasons later trying to build a minor league.

…The previous team owner did nothing for the minors, which hurt me. He had a player, Nick Van der Bijl, down there at a 14POT, 100+ SI at age 28. I brought him up and he has been a solid 30 HR guy…but he was 28 as a rookie and it now 32 and petering out with only 4 seasons. The minors are much more important that I thought! It is hard to find quality players in FA and Waivers!

…That being said, use the waivers. It is a pain in the butt because the good players will have 30+ claims, but you don’t have a chance if you don’t put in a claim.

Ok…to your team…

Girard will never hit well and he is not that great on defense either for SS. Weak arm and weak hitting.

Van Slyke is still a productive hitter, but he is one to watch for a quick decline due to age.

Delaney is one of your best hitters. I see he is being played at 2B to try to develop him there, I guess that is not too bad. His 14 arm makes him a borderline catcher, for me. I used a weak armed catcher for 2 years and it killed me.

Pierce was an All-Star this year for you and seems like a very good young player. He is only 25 so his SI could still pop a little more in the next season or two.

Miller needs replaced at 3B.

Thornton is good enough for you at catcher right now, the 19 arm is nice.

Gallegos was an All-Star for you this year too. I know he is only .250 vs R, but he gives you more than Girard elsewhere too. Not sure I would platoon them.

Jensen needs to play everyday, not be part of a platoon. He was also an All-Star this year and can really hit.

Noriega is having a breakout year as a starter and was an All-Star. Serra is having a down year but is a quality starter. The rest of the starters look like average guys…better than my #3-5 guys right now!

Bullpen is ok, I think Young and You are having good years and Tomas has been solid.

It is HARD to find and develop good pitching, so keep guys as long as they are producing. I have found that pitchers tend to hit that “age decline” quicker than hitters.

You have three 14 POT guys in the minors: Maya, Malone and Bennett. Those guys should all be good for you, but they are in AA so it is going to be a few seasons.

Rivas is already 101 SI and will be 25 next year…but I don’t think he is ever going to hit well enough to stick in the majors.

You have several “he will never be a decent hitter” guys and I, personally, don’t keep or draft anybody with that comment.

I try to only keep 12+ POT guys, but there are 11’s that produce in the lower levels.

Your payroll looks good and you’re 70-47…so I would say, overall, you inherited a pretty good team! Keep an eye on the aging process and make sure to develop replacements for your aging starters.
FurySK

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
There's a discord link somewhere. People on at most times of the day if you have questions.

https://discord.gg/zA5qcCn

Otherwise just ask questions here and I'll answer as I can

Previous Page | Show All |