Help

Forum >> Help >> Manager   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Trebbie

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I've been here for 6 seasons now. I've been trying for 6 seasons to get a coach with positive reviews along with excellent teacher of the game to no avail.

I feel like there needs to be a bigger selection of coaches since they are such a big influence on progressing players and minors.

lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Managers are definitely one of the most-discussed topics I've seen in the forums. I'll look for corrections/alternate opinions, but the rough framework I've built up in my head on this topic from reading others' posts includes:

* Managers have a non-trivial influence on your game, but they won't necessarily make or break you.

* There's a ton of dreck in the new managers pool, most of them managers that no one will ever touch. That dreck needs to be cleaned out from time to time to make searching easier.

* Finding a manager who is positive in nearly every area is truly a rarity, though it happens. Instead, it's more realistic to see semi-positive options such as this and this. Choosing which positives and weaknesses to take is matter of choice.

* Finding even those semi-positives can be a chore. I use custom HTML for this domain that highlights links I haven't clicked in a darker blue. It's better than nothing but not perfect; someone could throw back a player I looked at that I wanted, for example, and I may miss that player.

* To Steve's credit, he's performed the occasional pool cleaning and added an update to randomly add new managers throughout the season rather than all at once at a designated time. Some prefer the old way, I prefer the new. Still, others clamor for better, and there probably is slightly more room for better.

I don't say this to dredge up another long discussion on the topic. Rather, that's how I view the situation currently. Managers are important, but they're only a small piece. We should hope for better ways for the uncontracted managers (those who haven't been picked up over X days) to drop out of the queue. Should we hope for a quantity increase of "better" managers? That's a different argument that gets into the potential devaluing of managers by shrinking the variability in the pool. *shrug*

Updated Thursday, September 14 2017 @ 12:59:52 pm PDT
Trebbie

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I've got 17+ managers highlighted in my "tools" section. All have 2-3 positive reviews along with "excellent" teacher of the game. Problem is, nobody is ever going to drop them.

I've scoured non-stop for 6 years and my current manager is the best I could come up with.

The old system you had to sign in the day they came out or you wouldn't get one. The new system you have to search 100+ managers every day in hopes of finding a new one.

I don't know what needs to be done. But if managers help in gameplay and player progression it needs to be easier than scouring for 6 years for a top tier manager to get one.

At this point I've given up on even searching for a new one. I sign in about 5+ days a week and am a fairly active manager. It shouldn't be that hard to have a top tier coach to help my team advance to the next level.

Just finding a coach that has "excellent" teacher of the game is painstaking. In 6 years I've found 2. My current coach and my previous coach.
brentswagger

Lakeville Bears
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I would like to see an add on option for managers. Keep the system the way it is but also create a new way of adding a manager where occasionally a manager becomes available for higher where teams could submit a salary they are willing to pay that manager if they hire him. The highest offer gets him. Ties are awarded to the lowest ranked team. I would probably suggest a blind bid system on the salary.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@brentswagger, this has been suggested for players before and I still don't like it for managers. I've seen what bidding systems do for games, and it isn't good imo. Rich teams would always outbid poor teams for the best managers, which would favor teams in the upper leagues. You become a rich team in this game by winning ball games at levels V-III. I came to this game after playing GoalUnited for a year, bidding was one of the two things that drove me away from that game (along with it being pay to win).
brentswagger

Lakeville Bears
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
In the end, I feel the new manager hiring system is an area that can be improved upon. It's not announced when managers are added and it's first come first serve. I think it puts owners with smaller amounts of time available to focus on broken bat at a disadvantage. The search task is also not very user friendly for managers. I would even favor a system where there was a notification of new managers added and an initial waiver type system similar to free agent waivers so that everyone that wanted a manager would have an equal chance at adding them. It just doesn't feel fair for the more casual but active owner that wants to improve their manager they way it is presently set up.
Cactusguy21

Presque Isle Vikings
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I would be up for a waiver-style system for managers, it would make more sense. Also perhaps being able to search "managers that joined this year" would be nice.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@brent and Cactus, I would agree with either of your suggestions.
TexasSeraphim

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
http://brokenbat.org/manager/3046

What about this guy? It took me 16 minutes to find him and he is young. My team is good at hitting, so can that influence his hitting handling and teaching over time?

Thanks for this discussion, as I did not pay attention to manager reputation earlier. My poor manager got fired while we are in first place, poor guy!
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Waivers would work best.

Previous Page | Show All |