Help

Forum >> Help >> Oh, NOW I can claim pitchers   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Mig2015

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Haha, the irony. I always throw claims in for pitchers because as the saying goes, you can never have enough pitching. Well, thanks to the 13 pitcher limit on your ML roster, you can.

For years, my pitching was horrendous and in the offseason I could NEVER claim a decent pitcher. I was stuck picking up garbage off of the FA pool. But now, I have claimed two good ones in two days. This is troublesome because, even before I claimed these guys, I was having trouble figuring out who I would have to drop to make room for my numerous prospects in AAA right now. So, now I really need some help. I just dropped one guy who was pretty obviously behind the others despite being 24 years old. So, now I'm down to 15 candidates for 13 spots.

So, which two on my pitching staff should get the boot? There are several candidates, but there are no obvious choices in my opinion. I'd like to have another year to find some things out. Was Virgil's last season a fluke, or is he actually in steep decline? Is Cordova not going to live up to his ratings? Since Victor Marshall seems to have stunted and be stuck at a 12 POT level, will he be good enough to hang with the ML club? Is Nicholas Salgado actually going to be this reliable for years to come? These are all questions that could be answered after a season or even a half a season, but I'd rather not have to wait that long.

Updated Wednesday, July 26 2017 @ 9:56:49 am PDT
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I'd cut two from Virgil, Stroud, Salgado and Rossi. Virgil has declined sharply the last two seasons which might explain his numbers last year. Stroud doesn't have much outside his pinpoint control, and both he and Virgil are getting old. Salgado has done nothing, and I doubt Rossi puts up the same numbers in LLIII as he did in LLVI, bearing in mind he was shelled in LLIV.

Just my viewpoint!
Mig2015

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I think I'm going to drop Virgil and Rossi. In seasons past Rossi would have been a guy I could throw in to eat garbage innings, but with my large staff now I can't really find a place for him. I think you're right about Virgil too. His decline has just been too steep to ignore the past few seasons, which is unfortunate given his age.

I'm really surprised so many people are down on Stroud. Like seriously, everyone who has given me advice on my pitching in the past has never had a nice thing to say about him, despite him being one of my most reliable pitchers for the past five or so seasons. He was an experiment when I desperately needed pitching that I was not expecting to work out, but he has turned out fabulously given my expectations. His career ERA and FIP is under 4.00 (mostly at division IV), and he hasn't really started declining yet. I just don't get the negativity. All his important ratings are a minimum of 11, with control at 20 (Many consider control to be the most important number), he is 14 POT, and still sitting at a strong 111 SI. He has put up good numbers, not great, but certainly good enough to stick around without a second thought in my mind. I'm sorry, I just don't get why my 2nd best starter is being thrown in the same crowd with an averageish long reliever, a second rate waiver claim, and a washed up vet. It's not just you amalric, there have been several others that have done the same thing. Remember, ratings can be off by as much as 20%, and its not even like Stroud's ratings are that bad.

I haven't given up on Salgado yet either, he churned out a couple of impressive spot starts in a row last season, and can eat some innings. Given his youth, I think I'll keep him around for now. If he can keep that ERA under ~4.6, I'll take that for a long reliever/occasional spot starter.

Edit: Oh, seriously though, I do appreciate your input amalric. It definately helped me out and made my decision easier!

Updated Saturday, July 29 2017 @ 1:03:28 pm PDT
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
You're welcome! I was perhaps a little harsh on Stroud, looked too much at his average pitching profile (apart from his control). Certainly if you take out his 2030 numbers his career stats would look even better. Looks like he was the victim of bad luck (/fielding) last season, nice innings-eater.

Previous Page | Show All |