Help

Forum >> Help >> Can you quickly look at my team?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
occham

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
BTW: Roque http://brokenbat.org/player/141690

Probably needs to be forced into AA/AAA. He looks like he's been sitting way too long in A. Yea.. if you look at his training, he didn't get any points from age 24 to the start of the 2033. He'd maxed out his learning in A ball.

Some other managers might suggest otherwise but I'd put him in AA for 4-5 training cycles and then move him to AAA for the rest of the season. Next year, promote to the majors no matter what. He was picking up 10 points / year which is a healthy clip. If you don't see him gain at least a few points in AA within 2-3 training cycles then just move right to AAA.

There's two kinds of training players get - that from minor league and that from playing in the majors. Ideally, players move through from Rookie to AAA picking up points the whole way then jump to the majors and get the rest. For players 24 and below, the computer will recommend a level for training.

If you immediately promote him to the majors he runs the risk of 'stunting' - meaning he'll max out at below his potential because he never picked up the training points he should have gotten in the minors. I don't know what he's missed by not doing AA/AAA but he's going to be recommended to the Majors because of his age.

I'd resist the temptation to put him in the majors for this season (even though he'd probably do ok) and just push him along through the minors and at least pick up some of what he can. A lot of that is 'theory craft' but it seems to be true. He should be a great starter.

http://brokenbat.org/forum/0/2/4503

Rock's 4 post down has a lot of nice links to some of the particulars for this game. The manual is also handy, particularly after you're looked at the links. I went through the manual and was 'oh yea, sure sure' and then went back later and was like "OH.. he does say that doesn't he..."

I had never heard of Grand Forks before this game but someday, I'd like to visit!

Updated Tuesday, July 25 2017 @ 5:38:20 pm PDT
Cactusguy21

Presque Isle Vikings
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
So I'm going to have to make cuts from my minors in order to make space for draft picks. Who should I cut? (Please list several players, since some are protected.)
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 One thing I’m noticing on a lot of your minor leaguers is that, to my eye, they look underdeveloped. Some only a little, some irreparably, but almost all of them do. I’m just going to cover position players here and let you make of it what you will. (I appear to not be the best judge of pitchers, if my record with them is anything to go by. ¬.¬; )

Joaquín Sierra: Already 24 and only 7 in hitting? Don’t expect much for average for him. Defense is meh. Nice speed, but he doesn’t steal with it, which makes him of limited use as a potential pinch runner. I’d cut him without regrets.

Ty Rich: Not a fan of his build, really. Good hitting comment, sure, but the outstanding fielding and low range usually spell third base, and he doesn’t have the arm for it. First base would waste the fielding, and he doesn’t have enough on offense to put him at DH.

Sebastian Hughes: See Joaquín Sierra, but with more power and more inclination to steal. He might make a decent backup second baseman or left fielder.

Kacper Zieliński: See Sierra and Hughs, really. His biggest saving grace is that he’s a switch hitter who puts the ball in the air a decent percentage of the time.

Stan Staton: See Sierra/Hughes/Zieliński, overall, but limited to outfield duty due to left-handedness.

Tim Becker: I like him. His bat needs to cook a bit longer and I’d probably move him to second base with that arm, but he’s the best guy I’ve seen in your minors so far.

Leonard Porter: He could be a serviceable backup third baseman, but he’s definitely not a shortstop.

Tony Versalles: If Porter isn’t your backup at third, this should be.

Adrian Tanner: Put this guy in the outfield. His hitting is a bit iffy, but he still has time to grow.

Gerardo Castro: I’d put him at second base with that rag arm, but he’ll never reach his cap, I can tell you that much.

Luther Polk: See Ty Rich, generally speaking. I just don’t like the build.

Lorenzo Mondragón: Outfield, unless you don’t mind taking a defensive hit for him playing second base left-handed. Not sure why you moved him down to AAA, honestly.
Cactusguy21

Presque Isle Vikings
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Thank you so much for your help (I had no idea the different defensive stats lent themselves to different positions.) I knew my farm was pretty barren, but reading that is depressing. And the reason Mondragon is in AAA is because I wanted to get http://brokenbat.org/player/132466 some at bats. Is that improper thinking?

Also WHAT THE I just beat out 52 other waiver claims on Theo Pate. It looks to me like he should be my ace starter, so that's awesome. Though his FIP is a little high, that worries me, but the build is there.

Updated Wednesday, July 26 2017 @ 8:23:54 am PDT
Cactusguy21

Presque Isle Vikings
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
So here, I'm going to try my hand at evaluating my pitching prospects, let me know if I'm being stupid. (ps this might take awhile, I'm going to be on and off updating this all day when I get the chance)

http://brokenbat.org/player/126494
Not too excited about this one. His defense stats are really high, taking up SI, and his actually pitching doesn't seem to be good anywhere, and he's getting quite old to stay in the minors.

http://brokenbat.org/player/159793

My first round pick. In hindsight I should have gone with Latin or High school, but I didn't know the difference at the time. He's pretty terrible, I really didn't know what I was doing. I'll leave him in AAA and call him up next year to be a MR probably.

http://brokenbat.org/player/150377

I didn't realize how young Singleton was when I complained about him eariler. Definitely should stay in AAA for awhile. Might have use as a SP5.

http://brokenbat.org/player/139614

Been stuck in A ball for too long. Probably should get a half year in AA, then two halves in AAA, then callup next season around the all star break. But overall he looks a decent prospect for a middle Starter.

http://brokenbat.org/player/141690

Amazing. Will be my ace for certain after a couple years in the bigs and one more in the minors.

http://brokenbat.org/player/144913

Looks pretty poor to me. That low control and no comments other than fastball is suspect. Potential cut (but is protected).

http://brokenbat.org/player/136347

He's going to be a project, but if we can get that control up just a little bit he could see play in the bullpen.

Updated Wednesday, July 26 2017 @ 1:34:04 pm PDT
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I am not an expert... still learning, but my thoughts on him are like yours:

Too much SI eaten up by defense
Too much SI eaten up by throw all day
Only real great skill will be FB, and I think there's a general consensus that without a 2nd support good skill, a high FB alone will only get hit hard.

I wouldn't be high on him either, if I had him.
occham

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'd agree with Wickersty.

He's one I wouldn't try to worry about 'optimizing'. He's already 26 and 12 pot means he's got about 16 points left to gain max. If all those go into pitching skills, he'll get like 12 points across 4 skills so maybe 16 10 9 10 11 17 or there abouts.

He'll eat innings. I'd just promote him and let him do his thing. Maybe he'll overachieve? If you don't have one already, he's the kind of guy I like to put in at Long Reliever. Lots of stamina and if he's in the game, it means you've given up a lot of runs anyway. You might be able to come back and win a few if he just eats innings and doesn't give up too many runs.

One piece of advice that I'd give about the waiver wire. Its advice I got when I started. Every player in there is there because their manager gave up on them. There is some diamonds in the rough but there is also a lot of rough. Be patient and always work to make your team better but don't expect miracles.

Updated Wednesday, July 26 2017 @ 10:17:30 am PDT
FurySK

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball

Thank you so much for your help (I had no idea the different defensive stats lent themselves to different positions.) I knew my farm was pretty barren, but reading that is depressing. And the reason Mondragon is in AAA is because I wanted to get http://brokenbat.org/player/132466 some at bats. Is that improper thinking?

Vitale will hit probably in the .180-.220 range for his career depending on his true skills (the listed skills are not 100% accurate, they are just a close representation). To me, unless you plan on him being a defensive replacement SS/3B, i'd probably cut him. And for him to have under 13 fielding i think is too little to be considered as the defensive guy. Any pro you pick up that is under 10 hitting is either a defensive SS or is worthless imho.

Updated Wednesday, July 26 2017 @ 10:39:58 am PDT
FurySK

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Berrios - Veteran with huge hitting, so he's worthwhile. Should last this season and perhaps next as the starter, but thereafter you need a young guy to take over.

Fernandez - I would cut him because of his hitting rating. while it is true that he had great bat control and plate discipline leading to few k's and decent walks, his hitting is too poor to take his obp to the .350-.360 level i would require him to be at as an obp threat, and his slugging will never be at the .450 level i require for a power hitter. I'd look to find a 24-26 year old C with 12+ hitting, a power comment or high PD, and 13+ armstrength in place of Fernandez. FA's such as http://brokenbat.org/player/130503 or http://brokenbat.org/player/122380 are examples of guys that are more capable short term guys if you wanted to play for a season or two from now. http://brokenbat.org/player/141807 is more of what i would hope for out of waivers if you were to go that direction.

Kirkpatrick - Lower your wall in RF to 10 feet, and extend the foul line to 330. His power should go from 15 to 25 HR. He's a nice 1b.

Jeong - His build should be capable of a near .300 average, but i'm not really sure he brings enough to the table as a 1B long term. You can use him as the bench/injury guy though, or maybe move him to the OF if they struggle.

Chambers - a decent but not spectacular defender at 2b, Chambers is an OBP bat. either bench 2B behind Madrid or 2B if madrid plays OF.

Madrid - I'd play Madrid outright at 2B or in the outfield and get him as close to 500 AB's this season as possible. He could increase with playing time at 28 to 112-114 SI. His fielding if he gains a lot of SI will hit 10 to 11, which should be good enough for 2B but would be below average.

Andrade - Doesn't hit for power or for obp, so it's really hard to see a point in time where he gets playing time given your other options at the position. I'd let someone else have him and look to get younger guys that have more well rounded skills his playing time.

Roldan - Play him at DH or the OF 100% of the time. Defensively his fielding isn't sound enough to play 2B. Do not let Roldan go ever.

Meijer - his hitting is just ok, which is why he has been inconsistent in his average. he has to hit .260 for most of his game to work well enough to be an .800 ops guy. defense is decent but not great. So i would say that he's a keeper still given his total SI package, but i'm not sure if he's a HOF type talent.

Vitale - in my eyes, an automatic cut. i know you like him, but my previous post covers my concerns.

Gonzalez - I'd give him my 3B AB's if Meijer wasn't getting them. I'd play him out of position in the Of to get AB's in injuries, just getting him 250 ab's to get him another 6-7 SI is what my goal would be. the 18+ hitting and good but not great PD/Power should be enough to see him produce, and he's quite nice as a 3B defensively.

Toca - could hit for a .230 average and .650 ops and still be worth every penny of his value as a defensive SS. instead, he happens to be decent at hitting and amazing at defense. clearly a keeper until his defense falls below 15/15/14, so probably 5 seasons.

Shimizu - a good backup SS, but not a particularly special player. Keep him around for backup options until his salary increases over 800-900k imo (or cut when he gets to 33 years old or you have a guy you like in the minors as a callup).

Serrano - begin phasing him out. he should start versus lefties, and probably be a pinch hitter against righties. I'd anticipate .830 ops if he's lefties only, and .770 if it's mixed. The problem isn't the .770, it's the limited AB's to guys i've listed above that have a better future.

Tucker - .290 career hitter against lefties, .247 hitter against righties. obviously worth it in the lefty scenario despite his poor arm in the OF, i wouldn't let him touch the righties lineup without injuries.

Sheppard - I'd let him play in the lefties and righties lineup both, but i'd not bat him 3rd 4th or 5th against lefties. He's quite feast or famine despite his amazing build against lefties. You can opt to bench him for a while against lefties if his average against lefties goes polar to that .200 level it did a few seasons back.

Wyatt - Same as Sheppard. He can play in both, but i'd probably lean towards playing Wyatt mostly in righties lineups.

~~~~~

Based on the OF setup, i'd play Madrid in the OF versus righties, and let him take the cup AB's at 2B. I'd play Gonzalez in the OF only when injuries were involved.

This is here to kinda set you up with how i evaluate talent in the majors, so you can kinda see what you look for. hitting comments must be positive to get a spot on my lineup outside of SS.

Updated Wednesday, July 26 2017 @ 11:28:22 am PDT
Cactusguy21

Presque Isle Vikings
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Thank you so much again for your help! Problem is I can't cut most of the players you told me to cut because of the darnded release restrictions. Vitale and the others have to stay for 30 days.

Also I updated the pitching prospects post with more scouting, let me know if I'm on the right track please!

And I added De Silva to the big league club as a spot starter, since I had http://brokenbat.org/player/102012 at long reliever already. Though I'm worried that I should be starting said LR. He was an all star last year and has great career numbers, but he has crap control and I seem to remember that low control is a problem. Should he start? If so in place of who?

Also I removed my waiver claims on all pitchers, since I've got Pate now.

One last question. Should I be doing something with the management section right now? Or should I just stick with the defaults for the time being.

Updated Wednesday, July 26 2017 @ 1:54:01 pm PDT

Updated Wednesday, July 26 2017 @ 7:09:56 pm PDT

Previous Page | Show All |