Help

Forum >> Help >> Player Development Issues   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
xLee227

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I seem to be having trouble in getting my players, especially pitchers, to reach their SI cap. Some examples:

Zepeda: Recommended for majors at age 23, grew rapidly until this season (age 25) where he's stopped at 103SI (23 pt). He's received tons of playing time over the last 2 seasons, with 215+ plus innings including the cup both this year and last.

Paredes: Recommended at 21, given over 500AB per season since. He's stopped this season at 113SI (14pt) in his age 24 season.

Lira: Recommended at 23, tons of playing time again but stopped at 113SI (14 pt) in his age 24 season.

Fletcher: No longer on my team, but he was recommended at 22, and grew extremely slowly despite 500+ BA in his first 3 seasons (including the cup). Stopped growing this season, 102SI (13pt) at age 27.

Mills: Another guy I cut a few years back. Recommended at 24, stopped at 104SI (13pt) in his age 26 season.

Acosta: September call-up in his age 25 season, he stopped at 104SI in his age 27 season.

I understand that most of these guys merely hit the lower end of their potential SI range, but I can't help but wonder if there's something I'm doing wrong systematically. In general, I follow the AI recommendations and promote them to the Majors as soon as recommended if they are 24 or under. Otherwise, I generally stick them in AAA for another year or so, depending on how long they've already spent there.

I've got a bunch of rookies and sophomores on my squad, including 25+ September call-ups such as Reuter and Alvarado that I've thrown in the fire during their time in the majors. I've also got some players barely out of their teens who the AI recommended, i.e., Soto and Esposito And finally, a ton of 23-24-year-olds recommended by the AI and who have mostly been given a lot of playing time too: Welch, Humphrey, Salvador, Guest, and Dobbs. I also have a guy in AAA, Cuellar, who I've kept down for all of his age-25 season and envision calling up next year in September.

What do you think about these player assignments? Are there guys on the Major league squad that shouldn't be there? Given their ample amount of playing time, why did guys like Zepeda, Paredes, and Lira consistently fall short of the upper range of their cap?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
This happens to me all the time. That is why I no longer follow the AI recommendation. I think the AI has some built in error where they could recommend a guy a little too late or a little too early. If you want to be safe, leave anyone who has less than 2 years of AAA ball in AAA.
FurySK

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball

This happens to me all the time. That is why I no longer follow the AI recommendation. I think the AI has some built in error where they could recommend a guy a little too late or a little too early. If you want to be safe, leave anyone who has less than 2 years of AAA ball in AAA.

A 13 potential is anyone who's max out is between 103-111. It doesn't mean a player hits 109-111 every time. Zepeda did basically get in the ballpark with his endpoint. Paredes made it to 14 potential, but capped his bat control at 20 and likely ran out of room. In fact, you got lucky his hitting didn't stop at 12-13 with the lack of a hitting comment. Lira the same. Fletcher got 500+ total AB's in 3 seasons of work, he got roughly an average of 167 ab's a season. I think that hurts his end point a little, but he only was 1-2 short of the minimum. every player basically made the bottom as you pointed out.

Me and Rock differ on philosophies. I look at the comments just as much as i do the players potential. I look at development speed in the minors, i look for trends on my waiver claims with the rate of increases in each specific category. My belief is that a player basically caps a build when an individual trait caps. So if a player has very good hitting and 14 potential, then if he hits 17 hitting at 108 SI, he's at most going to gain 3-4 more SI beyond that point in other areas, and it'll stop the next time his hitting is set to increase.

My callup strategy is mostly reliant on how far a player is from their potential top end cap. If a hitter gets the nod midway through age 23 and they are 30 SI away from the 13 potential cap of 111, then i tend to let them sit there and gain 2-4 SI the rest of the way before calling them up. If they are at 106 SI w/ 14 potential (119 max cap), then i'm content that i have called them up at the appropriate time because my expectation is that they'll hit whatever their hidden Max SI value is.

It's my belief that you mostly got unlucky, but also didn't account for things beyond the max SI as being considered when choosing where they end.

Updated Tuesday, July 18 2017 @ 9:14:41 pm PDT
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I have to say I think FurySK is right. I've seen a bunch of guys on my team and other teams either hit the minimum for their POT or fall just short, when promoted as soon as the recommendation came. I've started leaving AAA guys down until they've more or less matched their AA playing time, will see how it plays.

Previous Page | Show All |