Help

Forum >> Help >> What's wrong with my team?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
brentswagger

Lakeville Bears
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm not sure there is much wrong with your team. You are hovering around .500 and have a slightly positive run differential on the season. You are in the hunt and you have a good team so I don't know if you were expecting to blow away your competition or what? In looking at your pitching your setup guys have pretty high ERA so that might have cost you a few games. You are close and still in the race. It's probably about evaluating each spot and determining if you have players slumping that may come around or if you have a big hole to fill. I think if you could get a hot setup man that might help in closing out a few games.

Also, interesting take on FIP. I always thought if your FIP was higher that the pitches was being helped out by the defense and if it was lower than ERA than the defense was bailing the pitcher out.
RDailey1948

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I did a quick calc on my team, 88 (ouch) errors and you are correct wickersty!

My team ERA is 3.39 and FIP is 4.24 based on Earned and Total Runs per 9 innings pitched.

Equal would mean no detriment due to errors. I misinterpreted the FIP - ERA difference.

However, lack of range/arm would not show as errors just extra hits/bases for balls not reached and late throws.

Thanks for the clarification of my statement.

RD

The above calc is not FIP but TOTAL Runs per 9 inning average and ERA!

Updated Friday, June 23 2017 @ 2:15:31 pm PDT

Updated Tuesday, June 27 2017 @ 4:09:12 am PDT
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I did some comparisons between my team and the first place team in my division. My ERA is better, but my FIP is high and essentially makes my ERA even or worse than the other team's around me.

Further, I have made 2.5x as many errors as the first place team, and have made a fair amount less Outfield Assists and Double Plays.

I think it's safe to say my team would be having a much better season with some better defense. Looks like now I know where to focus on the rest of the season/offseason.

This was a good thread!
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
One thing which stands out immediately - your OF range is terrible. The most important defensive attribute for outfielders in this game is Range, and its an aggregate of all three starting OF on your team. RDailey made some general points on this, let me provide a little more detail.

Winters with his 10 Range and Greene with his 8 Range are really hurting your defence - swapping positions for Greene and Edwards would help your team (Winters and Greene are 1B/DH types only). Rocha's 9 Arm at 3B isn't great either. You have a really good MI combination but if your OFers can't chase anything down your pitchers numbers will continue to hurt.

From the younger guys Ames is a 1B/DH, no range or fielding for 2B. Cowley isn't a SS, no range, so fits 3B better but its going to be hard getting him eligibility there without some major growing pains. You have too many RH outfielders with low Range - Johnson is probably best at 1B, McKay and Mullen should have been 3B/C, Russell would have been better at C. None of these guys has a Range above 12, which is very poor from a defensive perspective. I'd play Edwards in LF and Wyatt in CF, and then look for someone to fill RF - Wells maybe, excellent range and great bat, really needs to play full-time.

And that's without looking at your pitching or even your statistics. Get your fundamentals right first and go from there.

Okay, was about to post but took a look at your pitching - you have some major issues here. Some of that may be cured by better OF range, of course, but hard to say with these guys. First up, its nice to have a quality rotation, but no-one is putting out a starting rotation who go the full 9 innings every night, so you need a good bullpen - and you lack one. There's no point in having a rotation each go seven innings every night if the bullpen is going to blow the game every night. You need to put 2-3 of your top five pitchers (for example) in the pen. My own bullpen has 2 MR, 2 SET and my CLR, and all have an ERA between 2.00 and 2.93 - compare that to yours (mine has been good, but it emphasises my point). It can make a world of difference. As to the pitchers themselves:-

Griffith has been terrible, and I'm not sure why you would put a guy with a career 5.21 ERA in a setup role? He should be a LR at best. Guzman hasn't done anything either, but at least he's young though he may have maxed out. In any case, placing two of your worst pitchers in two of the most important roles makes no sense at all. Nash has had some success at closer, but a .293 BAA is scary. Scott and Rasmussen are old and not great, but they haven't been terrible (I'd cut both in the offseason). Burnett looks like one of your best pitchers and yet he's stuck as the LHS - when he has a .286 BAA against lefties? No sense. Make him your top SET guy. Douglas, Morgan and Barrios haven't been great starters, but maybe that terrible OF is hurting them - they all profile as good pitchers. If their ERAs start to come down with a better defence behind them then fine, if not I'd move them into MR.

I'd also be curious to know your management settings for your pitchers. I have a hook of 7-9 on my starters and just 2 on my relivers (and some people have 0 or 1) - you need to be able to adjust quickly if a game starts to fall out of your grasp. Similarly, if you want to develop young pitchers simultaneously, make one your SP5 and make the other your LR for the same game - doesn't matter if one or both get shelled, you're likely losing the game anyway and they'll get valuable experience. If the starter makes it to the back of your bullpen and the LR doesn't play, swap them around next time.

Yeesh, got a bit carried away. :)
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Actually range is an aggregate of all players on the field, not just the OFs. So you can make up for it if you have a rangy SS and 2B.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Really? Learn something new every day. So that means playing some statue (like my 8 Range guy) at 1B hurts your overall aggregate? Yeesh. That means those guys are basically DH only then?
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Isn't the accepted theory that it's a weighted aggregate? Certain positions are "worth" more in terms of range than others. We don't know the formula used, but a 1B should be on the low end compared to an SS or OF.
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
@rock do we know that for a fact? That range is aggregate across the whole teM, and not at position by position, or at least "area of the field" (middle infield, outfield, corner infield, etc)?

Thanks
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
A weighted aggregate would certainly make more sense.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, Steve confirmed it a while back. He could have changed it, but I imagine he would have said something. Yeah, I'm pretty sure its weighted, which is why I mentioned 2B and SS, who probably have high weights. 1B is probably fairly low, but yes, your OFs affect your infield plays and you infielders affect your outfield plays.

Steve said it was something he would like to improve, but we haven't seen anything on it, so I'm assuming it is still an overall team aggregate.

Previous Page | Show All |