Help

Forum >> Help >> Where to train these guys   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I've got a couple of hot young guys I can't decide where to train and would appreciate some opinions.

Gomes and Ibarra, both in class A ball, both with awkward defensive builds. Awkward that they're good enough to do multiple things but nothing jumps out at me as obvious. I see them both as starters and Gomes will likely be a star. While they are both in A ball, it would not surprise me if at least Gomes got a very young recommendation to the majors so I want to get over my waffling on these two.

Also it's worth noting that I have some very solid young guys ready to handle some key positions for several seasons.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Gómes looks like a third baseman to me and Ibarra looks like a left fielder.
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
@Haselrig could I ask you why you say that? For my own education?
Pig_Cola

Glendale Marshals
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Gomes could play at SS or 2B. I actually have a player with the same amount of range and arm as Gomes and he's playing 2B right now. Ibarra could be a LF.
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Gomes isn't really a perfect fit anywhere. His being R/R means I'd try to fit him the IF somewhere. He doesn't have the range I'd like to see at 2B or SS, so that leaves me at 3B. His arm isn't what I'd want there ideally, but I'd take a light arm at 3B rather than low range at 2B or SS. I think he could play all three spots. Depending on the league, he could be very good at any of them, but if he was in my system, he'd be training at 3B.

Ibarra is a more clear-cut case to me. L/R would be nice to have in the IF somewhere, but he won't have the glove for any of those spots. He's not a spectacular athlete, so CF is out and his arm isn't what I'd want in RF, so I'd be left with LF as the only real option.

[EDIT] Of course, all of that is contingent on what else you have in your system. If you don't have anybody else at SS, make Gomes a SS. Same with 2B. Ideally, you'd have better options for both spots, though.

Updated Tuesday, June 20 2017 @ 8:51:44 am PDT
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
If they pan out, I already have 24 year olds slated for 2B, SS and 3B. The 2B Yamaguchi and 3B Santini, I would consider ideal builds for those positions. I have a 22 year old who should be an ideal RF in Zhou. The 24 year olds should be good for 8 seasons give or take and the 22 year old for 10 or so.

And well said Haselrig. The problem with these guys is they don't appear to be great anywhere but potentially good in locations.

Updated Tuesday, June 20 2017 @ 9:18:02 am PDT
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
The way this game is set up, we don't have any choice but to drive square pegs into round holes. The draft gives us bad fits and redundant players and you just have to try to make them work. Cutting them for no return isn't a good option and you can't depend on waivers to save you.

Gomes isn't the worst piece of clay to work with (I mean, he could be Fernandez). He could be solid at a lot of spots, but with him at SS or 2B you'd likely see too many ground ball dribble into the OF since he couldn't get to them. Doesn't show up in the boxscore, but if you were watching the game, it'd likely be noticeable. Similar problem at 3B where you'd likely see him bounce some balls into 1B just after some of the faster runners are stepping off the bag. It's a choice as to which bad defensive play you'd like to see. For me, his arm is closer to the ideal than his range is, so it's 3B.

Updated Tuesday, June 20 2017 @ 9:33:19 am PDT
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I think Haselrig covered it well enough.

But I wouldn't mind Ibarra in any of the OF spots, range and arm are decent enough. And although Gomes suits 3B best his fielding would do at 2B or SS in a pinch, even if you ideally want Range 15+ there. You could do a lot worse!
Endrju

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Just throwing my 2 cents, 100% agree with Haselrig and amalric. Ibarra can play any outfield position but is most suited for LF, and Gomes will be a star 3B/SS/2B, on whichever position you need him.
Those two will be the core of your offense for many years :)

Previous Page | Show All |