Help

Forum >> Help >> Team Evaluation/Cut help   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Endrju

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
He's underdeveloped. 25 and recommended to AA (was moved there mid last season). Let's say after this season in AAA he ends at 70 SI. The rest of his potential he must gain in the majors. Even in best case scenario, where he gains 10 SI per season, he reaches his potential at the age of 29. Two seasons later he starts to decline. Plus for three years you need to find him a spot in pitching rotation, which could be taken by someone that can actually pitch, not learns to do it.

A lot of effort for two seasons of play is not worth it in my opinion, especially for a bullpen guy. Some prospects just don't pan out, sadly.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I disagree about Marchenko. He doesn't have to go to the majors next year. If he's kept in the minors he could get to almost 80. If he's given lots of innings when promoted, he very well would reach his max SI in two major league seasons.

He still might not be good, but I wouldn't easily dismiss him. His FIP isn't horrible, so he has at least a chance.

I haven't looked at the rest of the guys, so he still might be the best cut. I'm just saying he still has some possibilities.
Endrju

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I disagree about Marchenko. He doesn't have to go to the majors next year. If he's kept in the minors he could get to almost 80. If he's given lots of innings when promoted, he very well would reach his max SI in two major league seasons.
That's still at age of 29, and with a lot of ifs. Too late in my book. And you still have to use a sub-par pitcher just for the sake of getting him innings. I honestly think there are better prospects you can try to invest in. He is a high risk low reward type of player.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
We'll just have to disagree. Also, I looked at the other guys and I think Corcoran is easily the worst pitcher. He'd be my first choice to cut by a large margin.
FurySK

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
My minors pitching

Marchenko - Had it in me to keep him and see if i'm in or out of it at the 100 game mark (looks like out as my team is scrubbing hard). If i'm out, why not call him up at 70+ SI and hope to get a quick 6-7 SI? If he gets to 26 at 75-77 SI, theres at least a possibility he runs for 12-14 at 26 and 12-14 again st 27 and gets to low 13 at 28. I think he can be better than quite a few 12 potential guys, but probably not awe inspiring.

Land - I think he's Marchenko on 12 potential. he should be closer to minors progression ready, but i'm not any more or less hyped personally.

Bellomo - Most Hyped here. I've had decent success with moderate fastball high movement types in the past. So i'm hopeful that he mirrors that. And he'll be in the 80's upon arrival to the bigs. Bonus.

Corcoran - I want him to replace Camacho short term and Yashiro long term. Thats the thinking. I would like to find better.

Hawley - Least hyped. I think he'll make it to 70 SI and then demand a callup next season. I like Bellomo more. Whether he gets a fair shot has a lot to do with when he says he is done in the minors. I'm hoping the start of next season. if it's this season, may cut.

Casas - First guy i'm considering cutting. Mostly on the grounds that his control will be about a 4 or 5 on entry to the majors, and thats scary (and he's a lefty). Maybe he gets to 17/15/15/6/15 and it's ok, but i'd rather he have progressed to 10/7/7/5/7 at this point.

Ventura - More closely aligns with a below average control pitcher. wish he was 13 potential or low defense.

Mae - Quality reliever, hoping for 5 stamina. nothing amazing, but good.

Rivas - Control might not be good, but think that he's on pace for 9, and i don't mind walks if the K's and the hits are low.

Woodward - Low fielding who should be on pace for 18+ control and movement. I like him despite the low velocity ceiling.

Baer - Probably a 14ish potential pitcher in the end, but they don't show up as often, so I'm obviously not going to throw him away any time soon.

Lugo/Delgado/Pagan - A ball and Rookie, so i don't want to comment.

Thats the way i prioritize it for those commenting. Am i being too hard on Casas?
amalric7

New York Lancers
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I also like Marchenko. I'd say he's more likely to be on the low end of 13 POT but that's still a decent pitcher. He's made decent gains thus far and could easily finish well above 70 SI by season's end. After that regular time in the majors can mean anything from 12-32 points per season for pitchers, and that's a gamble I'm taking every time.

I think you're almost spot-on with your assessment of your pitching. I can see Casas turning out quite well despite his control, so I wouldn't hurry to ditch him yet.

I missed out on Vallejo twice but I think he would have been better as a 1B/OF, but I guess if you don't have options he does a job at SS. And Krieg should have been a C, ideal build for there and his poor range hurts at 2B.
FurySK

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Vallejo I had no options. Kreig I had to find a bunch of guys to field a team when I purged 33-38 year old players. Didn't feel like at the majors it was worth benching wang to play him at c. Now he doesn't play. DeHart is at 2B and Rivera is at 3B, and he covers injuries

Updated Thursday, June 15 2017 @ 6:45:44 pm PDT
GrizzlyDan

Atlanta Braves
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I give you Tony Posada. Nice scouting report, 13 POT, but at 23 is still enjoying the sights down in A ball (Hiawassee). My only other 23-year-old is currently terrorizing AAA and is many SI points ahead. By normal standards, he's a cut, but he's the only SS prospect I have. Also, with that speed, why isn't he stealing more down on the farm? My fingers itch to cut and draft, but I thought I'd poll the group first.
amalric7

New York Lancers
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Posada is a cut for me, despite a nice report. Gained just 10 SI in 2+ seasons and at that rate he'll be 29-years old before he's a useful player. Even if he gains 10 SI per season (unlikely) it'll take three seasons for him to be useful, so I'd make him someone else's problem.
Mcdoogle

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Keep Marchenko.

Cut Casas, I personally am not a fan of a lefty with crap control.

Also, on my potential cut list I'm looking at Rivas/Ventura, but only because they're essentially 2 of the same pitchers who are risky. Personally I would monitor them, because I'm sure one of them will be cut worthy pretty soon.

Previous Page | Show All |