Help

Forum >> Help >> Severity of the Catching Penalty   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Slug5373

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
It has been well documented that lefty catchers receive a defensive penalty, but my question is to what extent this penalty extends, and in what capacity? Will they throw out fewer base stealers? Make more errors? Passed balls? More bunt hits?

I'm asking because I have a claim in on a player who, if he were righty, would be a perfectly built catching prospect. (And he would have a LOT more than two claims on him.)
dsz071

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I have very minimal experience with this situation but I didn't notice much of a penalty at all. I picked up a LH catcher last season because I going to use a platoon until my current catcher was ready to promote. Only reason I dumped him was his price tag. For me, he did just fine throwing out runners. I believe the only penalty is throwing out runners when there is a RH hitter.

http://brokenbat.org/player/89164

Updated Friday, May 19 2017 @ 12:22:18 pm PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I suspect Steve may be penalizing across the board rather than per hitter. Something like a 5% decrease in CS is going to be hard to detect given all the other factors. So its hard to tell just how much impact it has.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I think this guy is a good one to look at. A long career at a high level of competition.

My feeling is that the answer is yes to all your questions, but that the penalty for LHT at C is much smaller than at other positions. Myers is equal or better than my guy Busty in every defensive category.
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
There's a part of me that says position knowledge is way more important than specific ability. Just a gut feeling though.

Previous Page | Show All |