Help

Forum >> Help >> Help with Team   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
TPS

Dallas Dragons
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
I have seen some people ask for help with their team and I figured it would be a good idea if I did the same.
An important thing to note would be that I plan on dropping Cook, Cervantes, and Bowers and promoting Gomez. In the beginning of next season, I would have dropped Alonso due to a disappointing first two months, age, and salary, but he has turned it around. I'm debating on dropping him, but he has been productive.

Updated Saturday, April 22 2017 @ 8:53:04 pm PDT
JJNZ

Yakima Monster
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Haven't done one for a while, hopefully this is of some use to you:

Bowers - can't imagine the training update being kind to him, probably time to move on from him
Lauzerique - make him your starter the rest of the way, his defense alone makes him useful, give him some more AB's to see what his bat has
Duke - looks like a corner OF to me to make use of his arm, he's young enough to be useful there for a few seasons
De La Cruz - profiles to me as a 4th OF, don't be too afraid of letting him go and using his spot for someone with more value
Padilla - somewhat useful utility guy, not much of a bat but again, if you can give him the AB's the rest of the way then give him a chance
Gates - minimal value
Yoon - very good defensive SS, he'll be useful for a while
Pennington - I like what he does at 2B, he'll be valuable for you
Lavoie - I'd be comfortable with him either at 3B or in a corner OF spot, hes good
Ibanez - good 1B/DH, might need a platoon buddy though
Alsonso - old veteran, cut him loose
Clinton - nice looking 1B/LF
Fogarty - good CF, nice struggle a bit on offense or be a bit streaky, but I'd give him every chance
Salinas - let him go, he's not going to contribute much longer
Kobayashi - not sure where he fits in really
Zamora - he's a good looking 3B, or perhaps a platoon C with Lauzerique

Cook - he has no + pitches, likely to take a hammering once you promote
Cervantes - same as Cook
Wise - better than the other 2, but a 5th starter at best - I like guys to have at least one pitch of 15 or more
Barrientos - good innings eater, profiles as a 4th or 5th starter to me
Tyson - worth a spot on the roster, probably an MR
Perez - should be better than his current stats, I'd give him a shot in the rotation
Steele - a bit of a one pitch wonder, but will have value til at least LL5
Hairston - could be a very good set up guy, get him as many innings as you can for now
Riley - will have a spot for a while, give him innings too
Lucas - probably a starter for now, but longer term a back end set up kinda guy

I was going to give a full run down of your minors, but they're all very solid looking guys who will help you both long and short term, the sooner they come through the better! Bring Gomez up now and put him straight in the rotation, he looks like next seasons ace for you currently.

Good luck!
FurySK

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Generally speaking, your team just needs a 3 season rebuild strategy. You need to identify players that can either hit for a high obp, or a high slugging percentage, and ideally draft or get a high claim waiver target that can do both to sit in the middle of the lineup.

For the production component, i sort by contact hitting, and then anyone 28 or older with 13 or less hitting i remove from consideration from my long term lineup plan, as both are typically required to be competitive past D.VI. I then eliminate anyone who is over 32 from that consideration too, as they will start losing 3-6 SI a season. This means the following players will be out of your lineup card in two to three seasons:

Miguel Salinas
Ben Bowers
Takashi Kobayashi
Omar De La Cruz
Mateo Alsonso
Rueben Zamora
Leroy Gates
Dak Ho Yoon (Defensive SS/3B replacement potential, should come off the bench for you rather than cut)

That leaves 8 players left.

Bernie Pennington is nothing particularly special in most seasons, he'll hit for a .280 average consistently in a neutral park once you get to D.V, and his obp will be quality enough because he's likely to hit 70 or more points above his average, and a .350-.360 is fairly solid. He's not got amazing speed or power, but has enough to produce supplemental slugging into the 400's, so could hit 1st or 2nd short term and 9th if you find better speed players.

Sam Duke is another solid contact hitter that ideally plays all starts against righties, and you find a better RH 1B/OF to play versus lefties as he won't hold .280 there long term.

Luis Ibanez needs FULL playing time RIGHT NOW. While he wont be amazing, he should play every game against lefties at 1B, and should play either 3B, OF, or DH against righties. do NOT play a veteran who is done developing over him since you are long gone from the race. I project him to get another 12 SI at least, and that could get him to 17 hitting and 15 power, and might also get his PD up enough where he doesn't walk 25 times strike out 100 times.

Manny Foggerty is a short term solution in the OF. He can work out there because 5 fielding will generally mean 5-7 errors total, and his range and arm are killer. He'll ruin you at SS. I don't think he has the power or PD to be a long term option for you.

Felix Lavoie is not someone i normally would suggest using, but he has the ability to get to 14 hitting and 13 PD and Power, while also holding 15 speed. So while i don't think he can be a consistent 3B for you (i'd play him 3B more than OF personally), he should do most things well enough to keep a spot on the team.

Daniel Padilla has no hitting comment, caps at a 12. Unless you want him for a long term bench SS/2B, he's not worth anything imo.

While his 20 arm is sexy, Tony Lauzerique does nothing else well enough to hold a roster spot.

JB Clinton will need a lot of playing time right now, and is best suited as a 2B and not a SS. You'd have to suffer until he got his dues at 2B to do that, but if you have no better short term options you can try to give him a lot of playing time there and hope he has enough hitting to make use of his BC/PD/Power that he'll have at that point.

~~~~~

Minors hitting is much the same for me. Guys that have no hitting comment or negative hitting comments are not worth keeping around unless they can play 3B/SS for me with triple high ratings defensively. And most of those guys are backups for me.

So this means someone like Josh Stephens has to be considered a defensive replacement or cut type, he wont get above 11 or so hitting before he caps out, and your probably looking at best in good seasons at a .240 average with that, with his career average probably being .210-.220... Robbins is in the same boat, but will only get to 10 or 11 fielding before he runs out of cap room and will maybe make it to a 10 in hitting. same for Juan Carlos Amaro. At best looking at a 10-11 hitting, but he will get to maybe 13-14 in fielding before cap. McDermott is also in this boat, but he has an additional 7-8 SI worth of potential over the 13's and 15-16 SI potential over the 12's, so he maybe is the most worth it. And with nothing but a speed comment and moderate potential, Herman Gilbert wouldn't make it for me.

Anyone with good/very good hitting at minimum i would keep for now. But ideally, you still want to watch the development paths of your players to ensure that they get there in either PD or Power.

FurySK

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Pitching wise, Cook and Cervantes i assume are instant cuts (no plus pitches, just stamina/control backup starters). Wally Wise is a good short term option, but again lasts quality pitches to help you over the long term.

Barrientos is your current #1, and despite his era not showing it, i would keep him for quite some time. I'll help you understand a major issue your team has later.

Tyson i'd start for now and get him to get to 101-102 SI. It might not go swimmingly, but you will find out how good or bad he is next season when he gets there rather than having to potentially wait until mid seasons for him to hit full build.

Perez will have only decent CoS and Stamina, so cutting him long term is the best play. Can use him for LR short term.

Steele should increase his fastball to 16, but lacks CoS or Movement to the point that it will hinder his ability to pitchw ell. I'd start him short term and get him to cap out as soon as possible to figure out whether he's worth something or not.

Hairston will have 13 CoS and 16 Movement when he likely caps out. I think giving him a MR or Setup role is for the best.

Riley also needs a MR/SU role to get the most out of his potential before he caps out at some point.

Lucas would be my another guy i'd stick into MR/SU short term, for the same reasons.

I would call up Gomez immediately. I have my doubts that he has ace stuff, but he could become a good #3-#5 guy for you, and will soon hit his age restraints in development (at 28).

Short term
SP1: Barrientos
SP2: Tyson
SP3: Gomez
SP4: Steele
SP5: Veteran
LR: Veteran
MR:Hairston
MR2:Riley
SU: Lucas
SU2: Veteran
Closer: Veteran

Don't cut a pitcher until the offseason, stay with 11.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Minors: Okada - defense will get to probably 14/15/17 minimum. So you'll have 23-24 SI tied up in fielding, making him more or less an 11 potential in my eyes. Not a long term solution in my eyes

Ojeda - 14ish fastball and 15-16ish movement with 8 SI less burned in fielding than Okada has. I'd keep him and the moment he's ready for the majors bring him up.

Redmond - I'd keep him, but i definitely do not think much of him long term. He'll likely want to promote to AAA by the end of next season, and he'll want to be in the majors at less than 65 SI, with probably nearly 40 defensive points used (20 SI after weight applied). And all of this is for a guy that'll cap at 14 velocity and movement most likely, with 17+ stamina. So keep, but don't get too excited here unless he starts taking off in development in the next 2 seasons in the minors.

Hopper - your short term solution for ace pitching. He's got a 16 cap on velocity with that comment, a 17 cap movement. his tendencies make me think he'll be low range on the movement side though. So expect 16 velocity and 14-15 movement. That being said, i think CoS will also be a plus pitch, and he wont need to leave AAA until after he's above 80 SI, so he's going to be ready to go when he gets the call.

Thompson - 23 SI right now tied up in defense. 25 SI likely to be tied up in defense when he's done developing, meaning he's going to be low ceiling for a 12 potential. I'd say he's at best a placeholder for a better prospect. Think about +3 on each skill. Does 14/9/10/15/14 excite you? it doesn't me.

Dolf - he'll be probably 40 defensive skills (20 SI), so he'll be a low end 13 or high 12 potential wise when his skills are done. That being said, for an 8th round draft pick, he's solid. I think he's probably at best a middle reliever unless his stamina gets to 12ish, but with 13 potential he'll have enough room to beat most of what you'd find elsewhere. 18 velocity is that comment's cap at best, 17 is more likely).

Silinas - Keep. 18-19 movement cap, 15-16 velocity cap. If he stays 10 or less stamina, he should have 2 plus pitches and a CoS that's good enough to support it despite less than ideal control.

In terms of minors pitching in general, you have a lot of good but not great pitchers coming up. Bauta is your future Ace, and you have two guys with lacking control, which makes them dicey in the A and Rookie ranks. I'd not purge nearly as much pitching from your minors, while i'd make better decisions with minor league and major league placeholders now that you understand the weight that is put on hitting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ballpark in the offseason needs help.

You have 6 foot, 8 foot, 25 foot as your walls.

you have 300/350/400/380/340.

Basically, your pitching is so bad because your park is so weird.

I'd go with a 335/375/395/375/335 setup for now, with walls all around at 8 feet, and 20000 capacity. I'd expect the guys that have better stuff to do much better, while the guys without it to do about the same. the reasons being that you have it as hell for any pitcher facing a right handed batter, so you can force better pitching staffs to play down to yours at home. This really doesn't work as you go up, you have to be at least slightly less crazy in left (maybe to 320/365/400/380/340 with a shorter wall in right).

You should anticipate your ops leveling out towards a .730, and your era should drop from 5.77 down to 5.00 or something along those lines.
TPS

Dallas Dragons
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
Thank you all for looking at my team and giving me feedback. A lot of the feedback I agreed with or was pretty close with my thinking. I didn't realize how bad my stadium was set up, so as soon as the season ends I will change the walls.
FurySK

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The key is in the off-season and early into next season teams that are top 100-200 will draft or make decisions on who they can let go of to make 1-2 waiver claims with. So when these guys start unloading 2-3 players, none of them will be special per say, but they'll be borderline 13's and good 12's that are age 21-27. You can probably clean up 5-6 roster spots and make 15-20 attempts and 5-20 claim targets, and pick up 3 or 4 of them between the off-season and the end of spring training.

Unlike a lot of pure rebuild teams, you have a lot of upper tier guys already drafted and a few prospects that will help a good deal in the majors soon, so you really just need to get a few better Hitting/OBP guys and maybe 1-2 RP's to round out the pen.

My pitching recommendations will let you go 4-20 down the stretch for sure, but it's for innings and growth potential being the strongest.

Previous Page | Show All |