Help

Forum >> Help >> Boring draft after All Star Game   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I've done well in the draft since I started, until this season when I've had nothing but bums. But I wouldn't change a thing. In my five previous seasons I've drafted nine players in rounds 6-10 that are still on rosters, four of them on mine.

Like Seca I look forward to making my pick each week, even when I've had such poor luck this season. On the whole it works like it should, and that's good enough.
Pig_Cola

Glendale Marshals
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
As Seca and Amalric stated, I also enjoy drafting players every week, even if the pools get start to get depleted. You never know you'll find in the draft.

I have gotten good players that are on my team or other teams in rounds 6-10 like:

Matias Galindo

Jeff Dolan

Jeronimo Solano

Brady Perrone

Ichiro Endo

Marquis Shaffer

Fernando Rodrigues

Kai Kekoa
lephio

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
maybe i was particolary unlucky last two years, but i had so many bad POT players after draft pick n°5.

I find very realistic that you find poor players in alte picks. The point is that real teams can use them as pieces of trade. Here there are totally unuseful and we just cut them.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Usually real teams can only use good prospects to trade. No real team wants another team's late round castoffs.
Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I've been complaining about the late draft rounds being boring even when we only had five players to choose from per round, and since then, we've only made it worse, mainly because other players were pushing for a "more realistic draft".
Yes, occasionally you find someone fringy in round 6 or so (I currently have one guy from the second half of the draft on the team and three still in the minors, but with limited perspectives), but generally, there's no excitement there after mid-season.
In principle, I'm all for realism, but unfortunately, that comes at a point in the season when 95% of teams are eliminated from the cup and more than half know for certain they're out of the running for a championship. Oh, and just at the same time, the trade deadline strikes, too, severely limiting the possibilities to do anything reasonable in the game over several weeks.
Since I like the structure of our draft in general, my suggestion was (and still is) to reset the draft pool and have the first draft round at midseason or later to add at least some excitement to the later parts of the season for teams that are out of the title running. It wouldn't cost any realism, as the real draft is in June, anyway, and not before the season. The switch wouldn't have to upset the game too much either, as the half-draft season involved in going to the new schedule could just have smaller pools.
I don't know how complicated it would be technically to get the draft reset out of the year-end updates, though.

Updated Thursday, April 20 2017 @ 2:25:30 am PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I personally have very seldom found myself out of both the promotion and demotion race this early in the season.

I do like the idea of have round one after the all-star break (or in June).

Updated Thursday, April 20 2017 @ 4:33:12 pm PDT
Deuce

New London Rippers
V.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Yes, that's a pretty good idea. The one thing that we would need to consider is growth times. Right now your 1st rounder gets a whole season to train..small issue though. I generally like the idea.
jreynoldson913

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Well isn't the draft held during the season anyway and to counteract the full season of training, during the offseason y don't we add like a offseason type season for the players in the minors and maybe restriction is that they had to be drafted no more than 2 years ago so it is just mostly new guys
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
For me, I'd rather not move round one to mid-season. Seems like a lot of the excitement for the offseason and spring training would suffer. A stealing from Peter to pay Paul sort of trade-off isn't it? Seems like it'd just be moving the boring around.

Personally, I don't mind the break after waivers close. As a veteran owner, this set-up lets me recharge my batteries a bit. My enthusiasm can flag a little this time of the season and being able to take a bit of a break while keeping one eye on things can really help with that. When the flip comes, I'm raring to go again.

What I'd like to see is something added to this part of the schedule that's lower intensity, but brings some fresh interest. I've already suggested winter tryouts as a way to fill this gap. Some sort of winter league for minor leaguers would work, too. Something like a smaller World Classic where you select one or two minor leaguers to represent your franchise and the participants would get an extra week of training at the end of it. Something like that would provide some late-season interest and reward owners for sticking around through the whole season.

FurySK

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I simply wish for good talent adjustments season to season based on growth/decline of user base. The market is no good flooded, but right now it's particularly weak on the 12ish potential guys that were once easier to find to start building a team back from nothing.

I'm very much pro-talent additions that fix the 12 potential curve more than i am making it interesting by adding loads of 13+ potential guys.

Previous Page | Show All |