Help

Forum >> Help >> Is it time?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Time to cut bait, that is. My team is under-performing a lot, perhaps because I have a whole lineup of young bats and I'm throwing them to the lions, plus we moved up a level.

(My pitchers are getting shelled but I expect them to come around, and this isn't about them, too good not to.)

While my young guys take their lumps I have some core vets on hand to step in when needed. Problem is, my core vets have sucked thus far, and I'm 10-23 AND needing to find roster space. We might turn it around this season, we might not, and as I've said elsewhere I'm okay with that even if I'm not completely throwing in the towel (yet).

Waters and Berger have identical hitting reports, and while Berger is inconsistent Waters has never lived up to his stats. But this isn't really about them either. Nor is it about Fisher.

Its about these two guys, who have done nothing this season:-
Lawson - consistent only in his inconsistency. That 2028 season is a distant memory.
Fletcher - a model of consistency, until he hit .170 last season through the ASG. Then hit around .350 after it.

Thing is, both still have decent stats (on paper, I know) and both cost pennies salary-wise. There's nothing better than them in free agency. Plus the gap between them and my youngsters is more like a gulf - and I'm not sure Norton, Sheppard or Olivarez (a real dart throw) will ever cut it.

I'm happy with my minors, but its crunch time up here, so any advice is welcome.
JJNZ

Yakima Monster
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm hoping you haven't improved by the time I play you in interleague, but he's some advice for after that...... ;)

Lawson looks like he's past his best - I had a similar guy in Ishida who I rage quit on recently, I haven't regretted it since.

Fletcher still looks useful v LHP, I'd platoon him in the OF with Sheppard whose showing some good promise but needs as many AB's as you can afford to give him

Olivarez is probably a lost cause - his biggest asset is his 15 pot, but given how slow he developed in the minors I doubt he'll get anywhere near that - probably another that will be hard to cut but you won't regret it.

Norton - undecided, not a great ceiling, but a reasonable platform to work from,I've got Anderson whose in a similar position who I've put back in AAA until I fall out of the title race in order to give him a bit more development.

Waters is a consistent under performer, forgetting his SI, his stats are pretty awful. Norton would benefit from taking his AB's if you left him up

Berger might be a better platoon with Norton, making Waters an easier cut

Fisher - I'd give his bat time to heat up, he's performed in LL4 before, give up playing him at 2B though, that range is going to hurt you, and is probably making your pitchers look worse than they are.

Hope that's of some help mate!
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Cheers JJ. I'm obviously hoping I have improved by then, but I'm not putting money on it!

I think Lawson is about to go, and Olivarez is one of those 'tease' guys that you know you should steer clear of, but can't quite bring yourself to do so. He's the third guy like that I've picked up and none have worked so far; Olivarez did gain 4 SI in one of the first updates so I was waiting to see if he can be a fast riser - chances are he won't.

Norton, Waters, Berger and Fisher will hang around. I played Fisher some at 2B last season when injuries hit, and it didn't hurt at all, but perhaps because my other 2Bs weren't great! Can't hurt to move him off it.

My biggest concern is that once I start cutting players I won't stop!
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Lawson and Olivarez have both gone, and I brought back one of my old vets - who went 3/5 as we won game three. Step in the right direction or false dawn? Who knows. Olivarez has had some decent playing time this week, but time for me to move on.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Nice to see Sheppard. Whiffed on him all 3 times he passed through waivers. (Not only Canadian, but has my wife's maiden name and was born in my wife's hometown).
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Nice! I would say fourth time lucky, but I'm planning on keeping him for a while yet (not that I'm ruling anything out, LOL). ;)

Need another cut after claiming Morrison last night. Should I just cut ties with Fletcher?
Raze

Azusa Toyo Carp
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm the guy who would pick Fletcher over Morrison, but it is really your choice. I have just quickly glanced through your roster(not minors), and I would look at Montes, Perry and Santana as possible cuts(in that order).

I my situation I have claimed two pitchers which I intend to keep. This means I have no idea who to cut. Maybe Longoria/Moreno on my roster(P)?

Previous Page | Show All |