Help

Forum >> Help >> Just moved up, what now?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
RJ Harrison

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I've been running the Cavaliers for six seasons (this is my seventh) and I finally moved up to V level. Advice I've gotten here has been very helpful.

Here is my roster http://brokenbat.org/roster/715

Any suggestions on what I need to do to at least stay where I am?

Unfortunately, my first draft choice sucked and got released. I've had no luck lately, even though I do understand the rating system.

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks
RJ
jetsrock48

Davenport Cobras
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
You have some players in your minors that have learned all they can at their level, but you are leaving them there. That's your future - promote them and cut your older & backup guys.

Pitching is your obvious weakness. If you haven't done so already, start putting in claims on the waiver wire for the talented pitchers. The biggest difference you will notice as you move up in leagues is the level of pitching. So in League VI, each team had maybe one or two ace, the league you are in now will have three aces and their worst pitchers will be decent. You need to get to that level.
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
Personally, I'd cut Galindo and promote Chiba and let Chiba take over 3B.

I didn't look too deep but I think that is a solid move. You do need some pitchers who haven't yet reached their prime. Adding a good 25-26 year old would help.
amalric7

New York Lancers
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Some thoughts by position:-

C: Vasquez might be better at 1B/DH but his CS% isn't bad and you don't have better options. McQueen is a cut with that hitting - "never be a decent hitter" is a death knell for most owners, unless that player is a rocked-up fielding SS (or perhaps 2B). Arias is a 2B and has the fielding report for it, lacks the arm for C.

1B: I'd swap positions with Reese, who has excellent range for the OF, and Canizares, who does not. Outfield defense relies on Range first and foremost and is aggregated between your starting OF, so the higher the better. You don't need any fielding at 1B really, so Canizares fits better there - and you improve two positions at once, plus your defence.

2B: Gonzales is a DH only - playing a "poor" fielder with a colossal 71 errors in two seasons at the position is really, really bad. If his bat still plays at DH fine, otherwise cut him and his $2.5M salary and move on. Arias, as a switch-hitting outstanding fielding 14 POT should be your everyday starter here. I'd replace Orellana (no defensive position) as soon as you can.

3B: If that 5 BC improves Chiba will be a good 3B, but you could use a proper backup.

SS: I'd play Velarde as much as possible here, he's your future. Zapata has decent defensive numbers but ideally you want 15+ in all fielding skills, so really he'd be better in the OF. Wilson is a decent reserve SS but will probably never hit.

OF: I'd play Zapata in CF, Jackson in RF and Velasquez in LF. I'd cut Figueroa when you can find a replacement, no Range for OF and the 7 hit tool is useless. Fonseca and Whaley both need promoted to the majors to fight for these spots.

Your pitching needs some work but that goes for most teams, and really it isn't bad for your level. The main concern I have is your manager with his 3 rating for pitchers, that won't be helping them, but I guess you play that off against how good he is everywhere else.

Minors:-

Napolitano is a cut and Hernandez needs promoted. I'd probably cut Atkinson and Romano too, neither will hit enough. McMullin doesn't really have the range for 2B but will do for now, and though Gallardo would be better he looks a bit slow developing. I'd also move on from Box. Good to see you've moved Benavides to 3B, great fit there. Zaragoza has a poor report for a 14 POT, I'd probably move him to 2B. Sanford is a cut.

You're free to take as much or as little from this as you like! :)
RJ Harrison

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thank you everyone, especially amalric7.

I have been playing here a while but I'm still really trying to figure things out. The detailed analysis is very very helpful.

RJ
amalric7

New York Lancers
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
You're welcome. I've just picked up from other owners in my year plus here and gone with that. Its just a matter of taking commonly-held thoughts about the game and relating them to another owner's team.

But if anyone figures it all out I'll be among the first in line wanting to know more! ;)

Previous Page | Show All |