Help

Forum >> Help >> Where have the Free agents Gone?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
JayJeffery

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
As one who has spoke up before on this I think the system should be left as is until upgrades can be made in the near or distant future. The system can be frustrating... it was killing me, but persistence will win eventually and I ended up signing a good C and 2B to fill the gaps until my guys in the minors are ready. It took all preseason and the first 5 games of the regular for me to get the 2B. There are always good players being released, the trick is in trying to sign them... I missed about 10 players before I got my 2.
Minnie Miñoso

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm short one pitcher on my major league roster. I've been trying to get one all season and have been scooped on about five of them so far, so what? Sooner or later you'll get lucky and log in one day and see a handful of outstanding players and sign 2-4 of them in one shot.
I know we are all in a hurry to get to the elite leagues, but I think patience pays off in the long run. What good does it do to have four or five or ten superstars and a bunch of scrubs which by the time they reach their peak your super stars are retired?
I'm always mystified by claims of unfairness. We are all playing under the same rules. Figure it out. Yes, the game can be improved, but unfair?
shikago

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball

As one who has spoke up before on this I think the system should be left as is until upgrades can be made in the near or distant future.

But you never even experienced the old system. Which was the current system, except with a 1 player per week limit. And was 100x better as a handful of teams couldn't snatch up all the players before others even logged on.
shikago

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball

Sooner or later you'll get lucky and log in one day and see a handful of outstanding players and sign 2-4 of them in one shot.

See, that's the problem. You, and every other team, doing that.

If it was back to the original 1 player / week limit, it would at least spread out talent & actually make you think about who you acquire as well. If you snatch up the first decent player you see (like what happens now as there's no downside for doing so)... when a truly great player comes along you'd be out of luck. So you'd actually have to think about it before signing anyone. As teams already had to do prior to the change.

I know we are all in a hurry to get to the elite leagues, but I think patience pays off in the long run.

And the 1 player per week limit was all about patience. It took forever to overturn your roster then. I started off with a low level zero prestige team too. My dislike of the current system has nothing to instant gratification. Or how it impacts my team.

I'm always mystified by claims of unfairness. We are all playing under the same rules. Figure it out. Yes, the game can be improved, but unfair?

A handful of teams grabbing all players of value before others can even logon is inequitable. I don't see how it's even arguable? I'm mystified how you can claim otherwise quite frankly. (no, this is not a personal attack. simply responding to statements made).

Just curious... Why are you in favor of making a game be all about simply being online at a certain instant and/or pressing F5 all day?
Minnie Miñoso

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
My point was that it is NOT a handful of teams. I don't log on every five minutes and I don't even know what F5 does. I've been scooped out of a lot and I mean A LOT of players I've targeted and yet, I've been able to get some good players. I've been stuck in VI.26 for a long time now, which is fine with me as long as I feel I'm improving my team in the long term.

I do believe the system does need improving, but I think the best way is to do it through the financial aspect. Make monster free agents more expensive and home grown talent cheaper to sign.
tetrahydroc

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
well my viewpoint is i joined on a team that was -10mill and if free agency was 1 guy a week id still be trying to reshape my roster and probably woulda said screw it and gone to find something else to sink my time into,i dont think there should be a limit on free agents, i like the idea above me, thats not a bad start, personally i think maybe a bidding system should be put in place

example

joe schmo is on my team hes 29 hes a great player but he costs me 3 mill in salary and for a recouping team id rather throw him on the transfer wire and sell him to the highest bidder, as far as free agents go, put them on the transfer list automatically. with the cash just going to the computer and being deposited in the league bank,

but again theres many many good options but whats gonna work best for the economy and growth of this game is ultimatly what it comes down to
shikago

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball

woulda said screw it and gone to find something else to sink my time into,

yeah, that's a good point. I guess that's why i liked the one guy's idea about no limits for players that weren't on a team for X number of days. It's kind of the best of both worlds until a real system can be put into place. (spreads around the star players more equally, but you can still rebuild quickly)

As it is now, a new team isn't going to land multiple star players per week anyway. Let alone even 1.

personally i think maybe a bidding system should be put in place

That's probably the only fair way to do things.
tetrahydroc

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
on another topic, i should be debt free next week woot woot
Minnie Miñoso

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I FINALY got a pitcher. Logged in and the top pitcher on the list was available. So I snatched him up, put him at the top of the rotation and he promptly got lit up and now sports an 8.10 ERA. I love this game.
tetrahydroc

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
pitching is definatly scarce, my offense is looking lots of guys in the mid 80s to high 90s and in there mid twenties, but my pitching makes me shudder,

Previous Page | Show All |