Help

Forum >> Help >> Holy long-term injury, Batman!   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
This is my first time experiencing a major injury. My closer, Young Ja Kim, just went down for 36 days!

Since there's no DL here, what do other managers do in this case? Do you just send the player to AAA to get him off the Majors roster? Is doing that detrimental in any way to the player? Help!
mcrmoe

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
In MLB there is a roster limit of 25 (before expansion), hence the need for a DL. In BB, it is fixed at 40. So roster spots aren't as "valuable".

In the case of younger players (sub 27) I´m not sure if they get minor league experience if injured, so that might be a reason for shipping them to AAA.

As for me, I just moved them out of the rotation or lineup and hope for the best.
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Certainly not worried about getting experience if I move him to AAA. I just want to be sure I can move him off my Majors roster to AAA for the duration w/o doing any harm to the player. I assume the answer is "that's not a problem," but I don't know if the Minors have a mechanism for avoiding injured players.

P.S. And I certainly get that there's not a need for a DL here. I was just asking since we don't have a DL, how have others dealt with long-term injuries. Sounds like you just leave him in the Majors but unassigned.

Updated Saturday, January 14 2017 @ 4:18:50 pm PST
Philliesworld

Pierre Jacobins
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Correction,
The Brokenbat major league roster is set at 30.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
So basically your roster plus 5 DL spots. But in that guys case he is young enough that he might actually benefit more by being in AAA.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
As Rock alluded to if they are young enough they may gain some training at AAA while injured. As for freeing a roster spot, I have never bothered as I am currently at the ML roster limit on pitchers for the first time in 11 seasons, and I've never been at the limit for position players...
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks for the replies, all. I've rostered 13 pitchers from Day 1 and just assumed everyone did that. For me, finding quality pitching in this game is one of the most difficult challenges, and testing out as many players as possible is a mechanism for me to better sort the wheat from the chaff. It's been tough to craft a solid roster of pitchers, so I've just kept it filled with what I can.

I've move Cha back to AAA for the duration of the injury, and I'll likely find another arm to fill my mediocre staff. (OK, maybe I'm being hard on myself. The team had a horrible pitching staff when I took it, and I've finally had some young, promising arms move up from AAA.)

Updated Sunday, January 15 2017 @ 8:19:59 am PST
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Having more bad arms on the major league roster really doesn't do anything. You should be doing the sorting while they are still in the minors. The key to building a really good team in this game is how you develop your players. I typically only carry ~24-27 players on my major league roster which allows me to carry 23-26 minor league players. Having extra slots for minor league players allows me to not have to try everyone out at the major league level, as some players do so poorly that they give a good indication that they won't work out.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
What Newtman said.

Its ok to surge on occasion for testing some new guys out, or when you are preparing for a big retirement year, but in general you want to keep your roster as trim as possible as it gives you more space for youngsters.

Previous Page | Show All |