Help

Forum >> Help >> Can he be salvaged?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
quanin

Cleveland Thunder
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, I figured he'd gain SI like a mad thing if I could get him to the majors. Just trying to figure out if getting there from 47 SI is worth my while. If not, I've got no problem cutting bate and finding better.
FurySK

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
cutting him seems like a better use of the roster spot. guys on low waiver counts and FA lists that are higher SI and/or better comments.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I am totally confused by the fact that I got the "not much room for improvement" tag on Conner despite having kept him at the recommended level the entire way. He was recommended for the majors at 23 and saw limited action in his first two seasons, but this season after update #4 he got the tag despite being 6 SI short of the minimum for his potential. Right now I have a lot of guys in AAA very close to coming up which have me heavily leaning towards cutting him, the only thing holding me back is his hitting is starting to come around.
Dan6176

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Conner, imo, is a dud. Good potential but never matching it statistically. If he was on my roster, I'd cut him sometime this season. His average is up this season, but his OPS is still under 700. OPS weighs heavily in my personal grading system, but that's just me. I think I could find something better

Updated Friday, January 6 2017 @ 8:48:37 am PST
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah I expect Connor has reached his real potential. He might still pop in a couple things, but his abilities are probably near max. I've had a few guys that looked like that. Byrd never even got the "learned all he can" message, he just stopped developing outright despite being moved along at the AI's discretion. I also think the AI doesn't do a spot on job, and there is some fuzziness in the levels. Optimal movement is probably something a little different that what the AI tells you (by design).
Dan6176

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Byrd doesn't get a lot of K's for having an unhitable fastball. Does the speed match the scouting report.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
His K/IP are pretty good. Its harder to strike guys out at the higher levels. Plus he is a lefty. But no, the minimum for unhittable is supposed to be 18. He is significantly below his POT, so many of his ratings are lower than the scouts expected.

Updated Friday, January 6 2017 @ 7:43:45 pm PST
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm wondering if its more than just inaccurate scouting reports. Both Conner and Byrd would be fine if they were 13 POTs, but is it perhaps playing time too? Not games played, but actual AB/IP in those games? Say if Byrd had pitched 190-200 (or even 176-185) innings at age 25-26, or if Conner had averaged 3.5-4 AB per game played at the same age? Would that have made a difference, possibly? (I know that's easier said than done) Just throwing that thought out there.

Here's a guy I bookmarked in the 2029 preseason but didn't win on waivers, Perry. I think he had a 16 Hit tool then and would have made a solid backup 3B, even though he had the "not much room for improvement" tag. As you can see though, he's gained 8 SI since then, so maybe the tag isn't the death knell it appears.

And maybe its all variable. Conner is at least still improving.

Bass on my team gained 30 SI in a season and a half but not a point thereafter, just hit a wall halfway through last season. I put him down to AAA last Thursday night after he played to see if that might help him gain something in last Friday's update, and whether its coincidence or not he did, 1pt in CoS. Johnson is my #1 starter but I've tried the same with him as he hasn't gained a point this season, just to see if he can max his cap - as you can see he got his first start in AAA in two seasons at the weekend, lets see if that produces anything in the next training update.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Nope. That is definitely not the case. Byrd never got that tag. He just simply stopped improving when he was 25 years old. From 26 years old to 28 years old he pitched over 400 innings and didn't gain a single point of SI. Way more than enough to pop somewhere if he still had something left in the tank. At 107 SI he fell WELL short of his "minimum" potential. Steve recently reiterated that inaccuracies in scouting (both initial and current) are the primary reason for this short of thing to happen.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks for the look guys.

Previous Page | Show All |