Help

Forum >> Help >> Advice on my new team   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Carnival

Fresno Eagles
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I have hired new manager. Fired 3, drafted a player. What more should I do?

I fell my team is quite good, but have no references.

Team is Fresno Eagles.

Updated Tuesday, December 20 2016 @ 11:35:37 am PST
ephenssta

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I really only glanced at your minors, so I'm not going to be able to give much specific feedback.

Your minors are practically empty. The two ways to fix that are drafts and free agents. You get a draft pick once a week on Friday (I think). So make sure to stay on top of that. Your second way to stock the minors are free agents. You should probably be looking for players younger than 24 with a potential of 12 or greater.

Most players in the minors under 11 potential are going to be an immediate cut unless you're completely desperate (you have a couple 11s and a 10).
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I gave a new owner advice on his team just yesterday, so there's some tips in there for you to follow generally. But lets look at your team a bit closer.

Your new manager is fine, but as you need to rebuild you'll want to target young players and develop them, so you want an excellent development manager. I can give you two options that are basically the same:-

Conner - above average for hitters, below average for pitchers, excellent development.
Katz - below average for hitters, above average for pitchers, excellent development.

Choose one and run with him, your team will be better for it in the long term. They're both a bit old (61 and 65) but will do for a few seasons until you get the hang of things, or find someone better.

A lot of guys on your team are mediocre, but seeing as you only have 37 players you need to sign guys first and foremost. ephenssta pointed you in the right direction: target free agency and waivers for players with a potential of 12 or better, and you ideally want hitters who are either good/very good/great, preferably with a power report; and pitchers who don't have a negative control report ie. below average/lacking/wild (especially not "wild", though sometimes pitchers who lack control can still be effective, if their other scores are good).

Age is also important. For developing teams in rebuild mode you shouldn't look for anyone over age 26 I would say, at the most (27 at a push). Most players age 24 or less won't be ready for the majors, so 25-27 under developed players make good gambles for rebuilding teams - put them in your lineup every day and see if they turn into decent players. Look at this guy for instance. No-one's idea of a stud, but certainly better than half your majors roster right now. There is no limit on the number of waiver claims you can put in, so put in as many as you can and cut older, poorer players as you go. Here's a pitcher you should target. Those are the sort of guys to build around while you also hunt for any potential studs other teams drop (for whatever reason).

Always try and make your draft picks when you can, its the best way to build up your team. In nearly all cases you want to target players with "very good" potential over "good" potential, over anything else. The two guys you've drafted this season are cuts, unfortunately.

Lets take a quick look at your roster. DON'T make too many cuts immediately, you need to field some sort of roster!

Roberson is a cut. Galvin is the perfect example of a player promoted before he was ready and will never reach his (admittedly limited) potential, he's a cut. A whole bunch of your players were promoted too early, mainly because your team has never had a decent owner. Sellers is fine at 2B, decent build. Williams was promoted too early: he's never played in AAA. I'd send him back down for the entire season and play him at 1B or 3B, he'll develop better that way in the long run whereas he'll be stunted (in SI terms) if you keep him in the majors. Chiba I would cut now, terrible. Repetto has the Range for SS but nothing else and makes too much money, I'd replace him as soon as possible - you want 15s across the board in Fielding-Range-Arm as a minimum, or as close to it as you can get, but always remember to watch salaries: you don't want to pay anyone more than $1.5M-2M/season if you can help it at your level, and level of finance. Cooper is an instant cut, as any 10 potential player should be, they won't ever be serviceable. McGinnis is a cut, Kerr is a 1B (no Range), Carbajal is a great pinch-runner, Ward and Mitchell need replaced (though Mitchell has the Arm for C if you want to move on from Ascencio (I'd cut both; you want a C with a 16+ Arm who can also hit).

Pitching-wise I'd replace everyone age 30 or older, when you can, and Temple, Tanner and Baez too.

Minors, AAA: Del Toro and Enriquez are cuts. Maeda would have made a decent 2B/SS for your level but he might be too late to train there (you could try). Puente will make a good 3B if you play him there. Navarette WILL make a good 2B/SS if you play him there now, but he's playing at the wrong level - if you click on "Reassign Players" at the bottom of your Roster or Minors pages, you'll get a list of your players with recommended levels: play them at their appropriate levels, or you'll hurt their development. Navarette has the "He seems a little overmatched at this level of competition" label, which is a warning you better not ignore.
AA: Delgadillo is a cut. Spurlock is an OF-only, move him there. Cortez is one of many slow-developing Latin American players, but otherwise a decent OF prospect, but he too is at the wrong level. The four guys in A ball and below are all cuts.

So there you go. You have a lot of work ahead of you but this game rewards those who put in that work. The best way to improve your team is to turn over poor players for decent prospects as quickly as you can, but be warned: there are only certain transactions you can do within your first 25 days, so don't fill up your roster with bums if you can't then cut them for better players until those 25 days have passed.

Any questions just keep asking, plenty of people here willing to offer advice.
Carnival

Fresno Eagles
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks for advice, so comprehensive I need to write out at work.

You slashed most of my players. Which should I retain?

Any high earners trade?

I follow MLB from Norway, never played, but I love numbers :)
g10rsh

Champaign Suzumebachi
VI.2

Broken Bat Baseball
There is no trading on this game. Your goal will be to find free agents, waivers, or drafts that are better than your current team. You asked who you should keep. If I had your team and had to keep all of them, this is how I would line them up today. Try to improve your team by finding better players than these guys or younger players who could fill their spots one day.

C : Henry Mitchell
1B: Xavier Carbajal
2B: Justin Galvin
SS: Leo Sellers
3B: Tommy Kerr
LF: Randy McGinnis
CF: Charles Ward
RF: Toby Cooper
DH: Corey Williams

Ward is young and will be a good defensive outfielder but a weak bat

Henry is young and will be a good defensive center but a weak bat

Williams is only 25 and looks to be a very strong hitter for your team. I'd keep him as DH and bat him 4th.

these three are your bright spots. the others are old(and good enought to play for now) or have lo
w potential. (and probably can be replaced easily.

The bad news is you don't have that many great players currently. the good news is they are probably good enough for div VI and you can really enjoy upgrading your team.

Updated Tuesday, December 20 2016 @ 8:54:21 pm PST
Carnival

Fresno Eagles
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
thx for advice and comments

Ill look into it,

went 0-4 as a start. But I love the game, im not a quitter!
FurySK

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
It's the standard cut your loses and rebuild team unfortunately.

The lineup has 2 or 3 guys in their mid 20's that could see time. You similarly have 2-3 pitchers in their mid to late 20's that should be salvagable while you turn the rest of the team over.

With regards to your minors, just listen to what the minor league manager tells you to do with talent.

I'd mostly turn over anyone over 30 years old out of principle. if they were good players, they won't be useful to you by the time your team turns the corner. Then i'd cut players at 10 or less potential or those with negative hitting comments or wild control comments.
Carnival

Fresno Eagles
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
If any/one could follow me, see as a team no. 2

Id be grateful (note to myself, is that a word?)

Im a Mets fan from Norway, hope that dont turn you off :)

amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm a Dodgers fan from Scotland, there's all sorts here. :)
Giants4008

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
And I'm a Giants fan from India!

Previous Page | Show All |