Help

Forum >> Help >> Just got my new team   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Giants4008

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm new to this game: any advice for what to do with my team?
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I'd hire a new manager for starters, someone who can develop young talent, like this guy.

I don't have time right now but if you give me an hour or so I'll write up a review of your team. Unless someone else beats me to it. :)
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Nice start with the manager. :)

Next task: adjust your ballpark. If you check the Manual (see the "Help" link at the top of the screen) and follow the link to "Ballpark", you'll see that the guide states ballpark capacity for LLVI (your level) should be around 25,000, and you can probably have it as low as 22,500 quite comfortably. Yours currently holds 47,000 which is what the teams at the top need, not what you need. You will never get 47,000 fans in the ground in league 6 so don't even try, all you'll get is something up to 22,500 and the remaining seats will all be empty - and you'll still have to pay money on them, which will drain your finances quickly. You can click on Ballpark in the menu to the left and adjust from there.

You're going to need to completely rebuild your team as you have way too many old guys, so I doubt (without checking the competition) that you have a chance to promote this season, and you're in no position to do anything even if you do. So you need to bring in as much youth as you can, and to bring that youth on as best you can you need an excellent development manager, which you now have.

You want as many guys with potential 12 or better as you can get, with a couple of simple guidelines: usually you don't want any hitter who will "never be a decent hitter" (unless their other skills are really good), and any pitcher who is "wild control". Some guys with 11 potential can be useful in LL6, but get pretty useless the higher you go, and you shouldn't have anyone with 10 potential or lower on your roster - those guys are instant cuts. But don't go making sweeping cuts immediately, you already have 11 empty roster spots so you have room. Be careful when signing players, because your transactions for your first 25 days are limited - you don't want to sign a whole bunch of nobodies you can't get rid of for 25 days (and there might be some players on your roster you can't cut now anyway).
Lets go over your roster:-

C: Anderson isn't bad for an 11 POT, he has power and a great arm for throwing out base runners, the one trait you really need in a C. You need someone to back him up though.

1B: Roach is an instant cut. Toca and Arredondo are much better, and can split 1B and DH between them.

2B: Moody should be a cut, but he's somehow still put up good numbers at his age (I tend to think most players in this game are cuts at age 34). I'd still look for a replacement(s) in the event he really falls off the cliff (at last) this season. Good Fielding and Range (15+ each) are recommended, if you can find them.

3B: Sexton is a cut. Picco is your man here.

SS: Vance is an ideal SS, you want Fielding-Range-Arm to look just like that. Holt doesn't have the Fielding for it, but could play anywhere in the OF or 1B easily (eligibility isn't important for C, 1B, and OF).

OF: Valdes is a cut. Gill is a 1B/DH only. Hernandez could back up 3B, not enough Range for OF. There's nothing exciting about any of Sosa, Blair or Mathewson but all are decent defensive OFers. I'd look for replacements for all of these guys.

P: Its probably because you're in LLVI that your pitching is holding on, because talent-wise those guys are terrible! Trujillo and Hess should be instant cuts as soon as you can sign replacements, same for Esquivel and Leach. Roberson, Rodriquez and Sloan will all do for now. Ramos isn't great and Zheng is a cut.

Minors: Always check your "Reassign Players" option for minor leaguers to see what level they should be at. Players aged 25 always get recommended for the majors but ignore that unless they have played a decent amount of time at AAA. If you see the "He may have learned all he can at this level of competition" tag then move the player to the appropriate level, otherwise you will stunt his growth. There are more guides on recommendations in these forums.

AAA: Yoshida and Keefe are cuts. Talley might prove a useful bullpen arm in time. Segura will be an excellent defender at SS even though he'll never hit, and that's sometimes good enough - its all about fielding there.

AA: Barron is borderline, you could probably do better. Sun & McArthur should be decent in time. Jamison and Barnhart are cuts. Peretz is probably a cut too. Quinonez will make a decent 3B for an 11 POT, but you have to play him at 3B - same for Farrar who needs to play 2B; he's a good defensive 2B who won't hit much.

A and below: Guerra is a cut and Roth is a DH only, though he'll turn out to be a decent hitter. On Roth, you really ran out of luck there, as you almost always want to pick "very good potential" draft prospects and to get an 11 POT there is really bad luck. Never draft for position, unless you're choosing between two prospects who look similar overall.

If you go here you'll find what all the scouting reports on players actually translate to in terms of numbers.
Giants4008

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks. I've rebuilt my team along the lines of what you said.

I have one question: What should I do with this player:
http://brokenbat.org/player/132934

He has 13 potential, and great range and arm. Yet his fielding is horrendous, and he is recommended to be in Rookie even though he is 23 years old.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I'd cut him. In fact, I already did - I was the third owner to have him on my team, and you're now the eighth! Some Latin American players develop very slowly, so although Rosa is a 13 POT who has made steady gains already he's going to take a long time to develop - probably not until age 26 or 27. Also, his top line is something like 12/14/13/14/16/9/18/15, which means he's something like a 4th OF at best. Don't worry about Fielding for OF (below average is fine, and even poor doesn't matter that much): Range is the most important defensive attribute, and a good Arm at CF and RF also helps.
occham

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Amalric got you off to a great start.

The only minor comment I'd make - unlike a lot of manager games, there's no advantage to 'tanking' in BrokenBat. Your draft, your free agents, etc. are all either first come first serve or random chance.

Having older players is fine. It's not a big deal to 'rent a player' and then just cut him next year, particularly in pitching. Just be mindful of the salary and that they're not in the way of someone's development. But it's not a bad way to get a sense of what works and what doesn't.
Carnival

Fresno Eagles
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Im new too, I dont find how to fire manager. Development manager, do I have that?

Im looking around, cannot find anything in game manual :(
FurySK

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Just hire a new manager. It will remove the former
DaveCool

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Welcome to the game, Carnival! It looks like you have a decent manager that will do well with defence and development. As you go along, you might want to change eventually, but I'd keep him for now.

Previous Page | Show All |