Help

Forum >> Help >> How is my team   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
ephenssta

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm far from an expert at this game, but there's one glaring issue I've noticed. You have a grand total of FOUR(4) pitchers in your minor leagues TOTAL. And three of those are 11 potential guys that aren't likely to be too much help...
amalric7

New York Lancers
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
@jdar25 - You've taken on the former Orlando Sharks, once one of the leading teams in Broken Bat, but they've fallen a ways since the original owner left. The one owner since then couldn't stop the freefall but you appear to have stopped the bleeding.

You have a pretty good team (thanks to Mig) and your team does have some decent prospects - not all bot teams make so many draft picks, so that was lucky (Rodriquez and Dickerson will be studs in time). I'm going to recommend a bunch of cuts but don't cut everyone at once! Cut a few to open some roster spots and scour the waivers/free agent lists for better replacements (every day if you can), that is how you get better, sometimes quickly.

Lets take a look at your majors roster:-

C: McGraw would be a cut for me, but a 30% CS rate isn't bad at all. I'd look for a younger C with a better (16+) Arm to replace your starter Venegas in the next couple of seasons.

1B: Versalles and Walker should be your everyday 1B and DH, whichever way around you want to have them. Montoya and Ahn are cuts for me. Anyone with a pulse can play 1B, fielding isn't that important.

2B/SS: Baez belongs in the OF, need much better Fielding at 2B and Arm is much more important in CF and RF. But you don't actually have anyone who suits the 2B or SS positions, which I guess is why Baez and Walker are playing there. You ideally want 15+ Fielding and Range for both positions, AND a 15+ Arm at SS. And SS is a hard position to fill, I know only too well. Haas or Farias would have made good 2Bs if they had been trained there, but too late now. Warden would actually be a good fit too, but I'm not sure its worth training him there now given you're in LLIV, cost might outweigh the longterm benefits.

3B: Cook belongs in the OF and Del Toro is a backup. You want 13+ Fielding and Arm at the hot corner but again you don't have anyone really suited for it.

OF: Defensively you only really need Range in the OF, and a plus Arm for CF and RF (fielding is nice but good fielding OFers should have been trained for eligibility elsewhere). Offensively you have a ton of options, and eligibility isn't important for hitters in the OF. Baez, Cook, Holguin, Haas, Amaya, Berra, Farias and Warden can all play there (Wilcox and Alomar are 1B/DH types).

If you hadn't already guessed from that, you have too many 1B/DH/OF only types. In addition to Montoya and Ahn I'd cut Farias and Wilcox (even though he popped today), and Howe from your AAA team (no need for him at all). You need better fielders for 2B, 3B and SS to compliment all those good hitters, but it'll be tough to find them at this stage.

Pitching: Normally I'd say Shelton is a cut as he's too old, but I'd keep him until you can replace him (and Gardner, who is also too old) as Whitney, Lugli and Sanchez are all instant cuts. The rest of your staff is pretty good.

Minors: You should almost never keep anyone below 12 potential, those guys are almost never worth it (unless they are extreme builds).

AAA: Webster is a cut, as is Howe who I already mentioned. I'd start playing Geiger at 3B immediately: his Range could be better but everything else fits, and you need someone trained there.

AA: Brannon should be fine; Griffith (control lacking is a red flag) and Rivera (too many points in fielding and speed for a 12 pot) are cuts; Rosales would be a passable/average defensive 2B but will never hit enough, you could do better.

A: Lanham, Chavez, Griffin, Rico, Potter are all cuts; Lovett is a defensive OF build nothing more, I'd cut; Barry belongs in the OF, LF specifically - good range, weak arm, no fielding report; Jacobs will make an excellent 3B, play him there NOW. Rodriquez will be a star with that hitting profile, but defensively I'm not sure: he can already play OF though his Range isn't ideal, so I'd play him at 3B (or even 1B) to give him more options - flexibility is hugely important.

Rookie: Dickerson is another star in the making, you're very fortunate to have two 15 POTs so handle them properly. He's not a C with that Arm though, so I'd train him initially for 2B and perhaps 3B also after that, as he has plenty of time to learn. Montalvo is a cut, and Brambilla is a strange build that is pretty much C only, so I'd look to replace him too.

edit: I was in IV4 for the 2027 season and it is tough, so I know you have your work cut out. Hope that helps. :)

Updated Friday, December 16 2016 @ 3:33:02 am PST
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
It wouldn't hurt to cut some of your weak minors guys (low potential or bad distributions) and search the FA market for hidden gems that are improvements (make sure to limit your search to players under 24 or so if you're trying to fill up prospects).

Here's a very useful thread for understanding scouting reports: http://brokenbat.org/forum/1/3/2451

With this you can predict how good a player can be if they fully reach their potential. You basically want to look at the report for things indicated and approximate their cap in those attributes within the ranges given in that thread. Then figure out their max SI based on their potential (POT*8 to POT*8-7). From here, you can figure out how many potential points they have left to distribute across the attributes you haven't figured out based on the report.

Keep in mind that while hitters are a straight adding up all points to get total SI, pitchers have a weighted formula for SI. Vel, CoS, Mov, Con, and Stm are * 1.25 and Fld, Rng, and Arm are * 0.5.

Updated Saturday, December 17 2016 @ 11:26:15 am PST
jdar25

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Alright I've made some draft picks and signings and it's looking up I think my OF Warden is going to progress really well this year still need more pitching though.
wil_m

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
jdar25, you at least have some things to be really happy about!!

You have three minor league players of pot 15. That is cause for celebration! Especially since you drafted 2 of them in a row! That is very rare. :-) So congrats to you on that! :-)

many teams do not even have one pot 15 player. So that is a very good thing for your team.

However you may want to consider ( if not doing so all ready) training Carlton Dickerson at another position. His arm may be on the weaker side for C. But he should be a great hitter and may-be that would be a good enough trade off at C.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I've been playing for almost 10 seasons and I have yet to draft a single POT 15... :(
wil_m

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Me too, I've been playing since Jan. 2016 and I have not drafted a pot 15 player yet either.

I have drafted 5 pot 14 players though. I am very thankful for those pot 14 players. :-)

jdar25

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Wil_M he's training at 2nd base I got my other 15 pot training at SS and got Dennis Westerfall who has a 18 arm and will be a very good hitter training at catcher. Right nows he's throwing runners out at like 44%.
amalric7

New York Lancers
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I wouldn't train Nolen for SS, he has no fielding report which would make him a liability there. He's purely a 1B/3B type for me, with OF as a backup option given his average Range.
jdar25

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
so after two months I think I have, it made some waiver claims moved the rotation around 2nd in my league made it to the 3rd round in the cup.

Previous Page | Show All |