Help

Forum >> Help >> 3rd basemen   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Pig_Cola

Glendale Marshals
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I have had a 3B with good fielding and range in combination with low arm, but it's better if they have a good arm.
jetsrock48

Davenport Cobras
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I'll expand a bit more with what's already been said. You want a righty fielder that has high fielding and high arm. For range you want something decent but it isn't as important. High in all 3 stats would be good for SS so less range is better suited for 3B. You can put a guy with really low range at 3B but I'd prefer that kind of player as a catcher.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Fielding is also less important for a catcher.
amalric7

New York Lancers
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
My 3B Ortiz has won two straight MVP awards. His fielding is only average so I guess for an ideal build you'd swap his fielding and range (and PD and speed, as he doesn't steal bases, in an perfect world).
jetsrock48

Davenport Cobras
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Even swapped I'd call him an average at best 3B (skill wise). He has put up good numbers in terms of fld% so far though so really can't complain about him. We've had this conversation already, but your other guy Lester Berger has a much better build for 3B.

Ortiz has that unfortunate awkward skill set where he doesn't really fit in anywhere as a great defensive play. On a good defensive alignment, I'd probably stick him in LF, but hey it's worked out for you so far.
amalric7

New York Lancers
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
You're absolutely right, and it has worked out for me so far. Ortiz has played 85 games at DH the last two seasons so I could get a better built 3B into the lineup - Valenzuela. But Valenzuela, despite outstanding PD (16) and power (18) doesn't hit much (11 hit, 9 BC), even though he's the better fielder (now). Who knows, maybe he improves more this season.

And, again as we discussed, Berger may end up playing SS even with his 10 range, owing to lack of better options!
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't think you'll promote with a 10 range shortstop, the competition in most LL V leagues will find the gaps too often and out hit you.
amalric7

New York Lancers
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I promoted my first season when Fuentes was in the last year of his prime, ironically his first year in the bigs. His range was 15 then but he declined immediately, which was no surprise at 32. But there were no other options. I signed Yamash!ta for the stretch run last season, and played him for 32 games until we were eliminated before the last (4-game) series, during which we went 20-12. That equates to 100-60 over a full season, which would have been good enough.

Lopez was meant to be the bridge to a prospect, but he lost a point of Arm (was 13) and has fielded poorly at SS, which is all he's on the roster for. I'm beginning to suspect that above average Fielding is all that you need at SS, and its actually outstanding Range and Arm you really need. The Berger suggestion is purely based on outstanding Fielding (17) and Arm (16), and obviously his bat (18/16/10/16) - lets see if we can outhit the opposition.

But I won't blame consecutive 2nd-place finishes on the SS position. Hampton won in 2028 (and won IV.4 last season) with Batista (15/14/14 fielding), and Bowie won last season with a platoon of McDaniel (15/13/13) and Reilly (13/17/10). Yes we didn't turn enough DP thanks to deficiencies at SS, but we also hit into way too many (118, last in the league) and that was with some of our best hitters leading the way.

All part of the ongoing process.

Updated Saturday, December 10 2016 @ 2:01:57 pm PST
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
My infielders all have really high Arm values, and I consistently have the lowest DPs in every league I play. So I'm not convinced that Arm is any where near as important as we initially thought.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
DPs can be misleading. If your pitchers do their job and don't allow many base runners, DPs can be low despite having a good defense. The only way to know is to determine the rate of DPs based on the opportunities, which is a rather laborious task. Even that can be misleading. If your infielder fails to get to a ball that others would, it wouldn't appear to be a DP chance. Conversely, if your infielder makes a fabulous range play, but understandably fails to convert a DP, it looks like a missed DP.

Previous Page | Show All |