Help

Forum >> Help >> Stadium configuration.   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
There's nothing that works universally or doesn't work universally. How your team performs has to do with their strengths and weaknesses.

If your rotation is all fly ball pitchers, a small park will mean lots of HRs given up... though you'd hit more HRs yourself than in a large park.

Some people use ballpark configuration to mask their weaknesses and others to emphasize their strengths. Neither is inherently wrong, but you have to accept that everything is a trade-off.

If you're doing poor in a spacious park, you probably have low-range fielders. If your OF range is lacking, your guys can't get to the ball and you'll see a lot of balls dropping for hits in the OF. It may also be possible your team isn't made of heavy hitters, and thus can't take advantage of the larger park. A power team probably likes the larger park better because it gives then an edge over a contact team that can't get the ball out of the park as much as the power team can. In a small park, the weak hitters have a better chance if hitting HRs and thus the power advantage is lessened.

You also need to make sure your players compliment one another. The fly ball rotation, power hitting, rangey OF, large stadium all fits together nicely. A ground ball pitching, contact/speed hitting, rangey IF, small stadium fits together.
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 …Actually, going back through my schedule, it looks like I was doing alright at home until after the All-Star Break. I ran into (and fared poorly against) the two top teams in VI.7 and wound up on the wrong side of an unlikely interleague sweep by a team with a similar record. I think I’ll forgo any last minute stadium adjustments for now (since this should be the last day I can before everything solidifies for the season), let things play out, and check everything at the end of the season.
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
You're well past too late for stadium changes. Those get locked when the season starts.
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 Nope, check my joined date. Today’s the last day before it locks for me. (…And trust me, I don’t have enough vocabulary this early in the morning to express how aggravated I am that my release restrictions end the day after free agency shuts down for the season… >.< )
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
For new players they are open for a while, which is why he could still make changes. You can't really do anything "wrong", just things that can hurt your team. High walls are fine if you have a lot of low GB/FB ratio hitters. Far walls are good if you have higher GB/FB ratio hitter, and pretty good overall range. Far, high walls will improve your pitching stats, but dampen your hitting. Short, close walls will inflate your hitting, but dampen your pitching stats.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Huge parks with high walls obviously favor pitching, but it also favors high range defenses. Small parks obviously favor hitters, but they are also better if your team is relatively weak in range. As already mentioned it really depends on the team. In small sample sizes you can do very poorly in settings where you theoretically should do well. In short, I agree with your assessment of waiting on the results of the second half before making changes.
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Oh, right... new player. Well just keep in mind, that stadium changes don't normally last until Sept 1. That was a coincidence. Usually, you have to lock in changes before the new season starts so if you do want to modify your stadium next season, be sure to do it before your first game of the new season.
PrivateSnowflake

Bloomington Thunder
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm obsessed with parks.

Parks will be fluid year to year, depending on your make up and the rest of your league. I took all the numbers of my opponents this year and looked at where I fit as to the average.

My power was worst so I built a tall wall. My range was average so I set the fences at the middle depth. I had the best BA/OBP, but my pitchers needed help, so I compromised and made large foul territory. My infielders were tops, so I switched turf for grass, another compromise to help my pitching.

Results? Pitching went from worst to average, but BA/OBP home vs away really suffered. I went too far towards pitching. I do want to raise my hitting back up, so we're going back to turf to get more base hits next year

Everyone has a different opinion. I've just gone from one extreme to the other to see the effects and now am fine-tuning based on my roster.

I think parks can make a difference in the lower leagues, where talent is all over the place and you're looking for that edge.
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I tailor each outfield fence to each OF I plan to start there each season. I look at their range and arm to determine how deep to make that fence. Height tends to be the reverse of depth so as to not make HRs too easy or too hard to hit. So for example, if I had minimum fence depth, I'd have maximum wall height and vice versa.

I don't usually do much more than that.
terryhumphreys

Athens Gold
IV.5

Broken Bat Baseball
I look at the height, weight and ethnicity of my outfielder when determining the height of the fence.

Previous Page | Show All |