Help

Forum >> Help >> Fielding Growth   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Anyone know much about the growth of fielding? I'm curious what people's experiences are with it or if it's entirely random.

I've had a few position players with pretty good field scouts that never seem to get fielding pops. On the other hand, my pitchers get them like crazy. Is this normal?

My training priority is even defense in hopes this will influence them to pop their sooner but it seems detrimental since it's only really worked well on pitchers who I don't want popping defensively so much x.x

Now I'm not saying the pitchers grow faster than the middle infielders necessarily... but it's really weird to see 3 or 4 fielding pops on pitchers in a training update and 0 on hitters (this has happened multiple times).

I actually have a pitcher who started at 6 fielding and now has 15.

I'm hoping for this guy to someday be able to field SS because of his "Outstanding in the field" scout but I'm not sure how many more seasons it will be before he reaches high enough fielding that I can safely put him there. It may be possible he never reaches it due to his age. Any thoughts? Anyone pay attention to how long fielding develops?
wuggla

Colorado Springs Vultures
V.14

Broken Bat Baseball
you have to play them at the postion you want them to learn for them to learn it. so if you have outstanding fielder who is like 9 and want him to grow play him and he will grow in the pros on this i have seen fielders pop +5 in the training periods for 1 year.
manager has effects on this a good trianing manger will help train them at postion a little faster than a poor manager at fielding would
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Pitchers popping fielding and position players not is either Murphy's Law or perception bias. :)

Position players do not need to play a position to get fielding (they do to get position knowledge). You can DH, and your fielding will improve.

It looks like the linked player "graduated" from the minors. If that's the case I would be confident he will make his scouting.

I don't think fielding works any different than other skills. For recommended position players with a decent gap between current and potential, they often gain 2-3 points per season thru XP. I've had 4 a few times. MT has gained a point already this season. I would expect a second yet this season and another good season next year.

I think he'll be a fine SS.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
He's popped 8 points in fielding in the last 5 years. That is a pretty good clip.

He has a .976 fielding PCT in 87 games last year. I'd say he is solid enough to start at SS now. He might not hit .976, but anything over .950 is pretty reasonable for SS. My starting SS only has .964 this year (with 15 fielding).
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
You'd really start him at SS with only 12 fielding, Rock?

I mean, if I had nothing to lose, I might as well... but I was in 4th place prior to the all-star break and fearing demotion. I may be in 2nd now, but I'm still not sure I won't just fall right back down, so I'd rather not jeopardize my chances further by having a SS that costs me games.

Also not sure where you'll pulling up those last year's stats. He had 30 games and a .946 fielding percentage, not whatever it was you said. Considering I expect the F% to drop at SS, being a position with way more chances to make errors, I wouldn't dream of playing him at SS based on that unless I was desperate for playing time and could afford to throw away games.

There's a reason I'm playing him at 3B. He still plays. He still gets XP. He's already capital SS. He stands nothing to gain from playing SS until he has enough fielding to reasonably play the position. I'm looking for at least 2 more pops before I'd consider it.

Edit: I just realized Rock was pulling minor league stats... sorry! Still, not sure how AAA performance translates to MLB performance, so I still wanna play it safe

Updated Friday, November 11 2016 @ 1:18:03 am PST
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Rock was looking at his 2028 minor league stats for FPCT. Yes, your defense may suffer a bit by playing him, but he's not terrible and with 16 overall potential you absolutely have to play him. Third may not be quite as painful, but you lose a lot of the benefit his range provides. I wouldn't hesitate to play him at either third or short.
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah I realized that later on.

And I've played him the entire season.

I don't exactly now how much I lose out on his range since range is somewhat of a team stat (even if weighted by positional important so it counts more at SS than 3B)

I just can't really say I'd value a 17 range SS with only 12 fielding over a 16 range SS with 17 fielding. That 1 point of range won't allow him to make enough plays to make up for the 5 less fielding generating more errors. I'm not comfortable with sub-14 range at SS or 2B personally if I have better options.

Even at 3rd with only 225 fielding attempts as of this post, Takahashi has already made 6 errors. The guy he will eventually be replacing has the same at SS but in 426 fielding attempts.

It can be very hard to weigh range vs. fielding. We all know that ultimately, making more successful plays is what really counts... but how can you anticipate who will do that?

Updated Friday, November 11 2016 @ 3:47:26 am PST
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
As long as he is starting every game you will be fine. Ultimately I would move him to SS, but if you want him to start at 3B until you are more comfortable with his fielding skill then there is nothing wrong with that since he already has the capital position eligibility at SS. I think the big worry here was that you would make him a permanent 3B, or not give him a shot to start every day.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I believe fielding PCT translates pretty directly. Unlike most of the other stats I don't think it is very dependent on the opposition. Its possible that Steve is factoring Power or something into the likelihood of making an error, but my assumption is that he is only factoring the fielding skill. So FPCT should translate pretty directly from the minors. If anything it should be a little better as the player continues to improve, but you also need to account for aberrations from the RNG.
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I guess thinking about it, fielding % shouldn't be any different at different levels. That would make the sim needlessly complicated.

I still tend to go based on ratings more than stats personally. It's hard to swallow the idea of a guy playing SS with what I consider to be mediocre fielding, so that's why I figured I'd keep playing him elsewhere until he gets a couple more points and it doesn't make me so nervous.

Right now, I have other guys who can field SS competently and no real game-changer at 3B anyway. It would be a different situation if he was offensively leaps and bounds better than my other SS options and I had a 3B option who was also better offensively that was sitting on the bench due to this. Right now neither position has a guy who can hit very well, so I'm just gonna stick the best defensive option there and hope for the best.

Previous Page | Show All |