Help

Forum >> Help >> Why would my minor league managers refuse to use a player?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
BrianV

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I picked up Curtis DeLong as a minor league free agent in 2027. Since he was drafted in 2026, he's only played in 23 games with 47 IP.

His SI is still advancing pretty well. What's the deal with the minor league managers not wanting to actually use him in games?
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
First, you don't have a minor league manager. The game chooses players for a minor league game from all players at that level (AAA, AA, A, or Rookie) across every team in Broken Bat to fill out the roster for a game. When choosing players it usually goes for best available, and therefore if he is low in SI for that minor league level then he might not get chosen.

Second, playing in minor league games has not been confirmed to have any impact on position development, and has been confirmed to have no impact on skill development. Therefore minor league playing time is really of very limited utility in telling you things like whether he can steal bases or whether he is prone to giving up HRs.

Edit: Just looked at DeLong, and he is indeed low on skills for his level. As a AAA lefty pitcher he would be competing with guys like Quintanilla and Rosa for playing time, just to give examples from my system alone. It doesn't mean he shouldn't be in AAA, it just means he likely won't get much playing time unless he is left down another season and continues to develop at the current pace.

Updated Thursday, October 27 2016 @ 7:26:03 am PDT
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but here's what I've learned in my short time here:

* The minor league statistics don't matter a whole lot and shouldn't be given a ton of weight (with arguably a couple of exceptions such as SB output and GB/FB). You might be able to make some broad generalizations by minor league output, but don't put too much emphasis on it.

* If there's such a thing as a "minor league manager," it's essentially the simulator.

* I learned not long ago that this is more or less how minor league games are put together (source post), via Rock777:

Basically, there aren't enough players on any team to field a team. In order to create numbers that mean something, Steve randomly creates teams out of all the players at each level. So for instance everyone's (every league level) AA players are put in a big pool and a bunch of random teams are created. Then if the player isn't better then the other players on his team, he might not get much playing time, but its unlikely that anyone else on your team is competing for playing time against another guy on your team. I'm also pretty sure the random teams get changed up every minor league update.

Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
The minor league stats I mostly pay attention to for pitchers are HR&GB/FB (together), K/BB, and VLHB/VRHB. WP and ST% are also probably somewhat useful.

When they have been up in AAA for a while and are close to promotion, I start to pay some attention to H/IP and QS/GS. FIP is also probably somewhat useful.

When they are in the majors, the only stats I completely ignore are W & L. I only view IP/G for starters (better measure than QS).

Previous Page | Show All |