Help

Forum >> Help >> Defensive Penalty   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
calebapple

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
How big is the defensive penalty for lefties playing SS? Is it just like a point or two off of their fielding attribute or not?
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
My sense is it is something like 30-40 points off fielding percentage, plus a bunch of double plays not turned. It is very significant.
PrivateSnowflake

Bloomington Thunder
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I'll expand on what Seca is saying:

I was forced to use a LH SS for a decent part a season once. You can see his fld % hovered around .900 which is 70 points lower than decent. Also, see the lack of DP's.

http://brokenbat.org/player/65187

If he can be your lefty hitter off the bench, then maybe. Otherwise, be warned! :)
Buster

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Are those the same sort of figures for other infielders that throw with the hand that isn't recommended e.g left handed catcher etc?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't think the penalty is the same for catchers as SS, but I haven't bothered to try and figure out actual numbers. The bigger thing is that fielding isn't as important for catchers as it is for SS. It might affect there CS rate though.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
The thing about a LHT C is that you can hide him a bit. Pair him with a decent defensive RHT C partner. Play your LHT guy against teams w/o much running game. You can't hide a LHT SS.

He would need big offensive upside to go through these contortions. :)
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
I think the penalty is more than sufficient that you probably don't want to develop LH infielders (except 1B). Promising LH players should probably play elsewhere.

If you have a guy fill in here or there, it probably wouldn't kill you. But try playing a infield full of lefties and you're going to have problems.

Steve

Previous Page | Show All |