Help

Forum >> Help >> Will McGinnis ever develop?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
zsidq

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Hello guys,

There is a young player whose offensive production isn't on par with my expectations from my team, and he will never be a decent hitter. In fact, there were many times that my team was on a roll offensively, but whenever McGinnis comes up to plate, he's almost an automatic out. Because he's currently listed at 1B (although I think he's more suited to 2B) and 1B is an easy position to find, do you think I should just outright release him?
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Short answer: Yes

Longer answer:

He isn't suited very well to 2B due to being a left handed thrower. His best position is probably center field.

He doesn't seem to have much in the way of redeeming qualities offensively. If he had big PD/SP he might manage some on base-stolen base production. Decent power will likely be handicapped by the low hitting.

If he were an extremely good defensive player in a premium defensive position, I could warrant carrying the bat. But even if he were trained in OF - 14-16-16 is very good, but it's not Kevin Kiermaier.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, truly elite range that makes me willing to overlook offensive shortcomings is 19+ in my opinion. In the outfield the fielding stat isn't all that important, and as Seca pointed out infielders except for 1B will get a penalty for throwing left handed. Looks to be a dud, sorry.
zsidq

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks for your help. I'll release him soon enough. I had one more question about this player:
http://brokenbat.org/player/101709

I don't want to get rid of him because of his offense (and because he's a switch hitter), but his defensive categories are pretty bad. I also don't want to simply make him a 1B because he's right handed. Is this guy only a DH, or do you think it's smart to play him at another position?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Opinions may vary, but I would have no problem playing that guy in left field.
Spoonerific

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I agree with Rock. Unless you have some better prospects in the OF. I wouldn't mind him being at 1B against LHPs too (if your best 1B is a L/L) and you have great OFs and a better DH option. I'd just make sure to have him checked for D-Sub from the 7th or 8th inning on.

Updated Thursday, October 20 2016 @ 2:50:56 pm PDT
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I would put him at 1B or 3B since he already has full 3B eligibility. I require more range than that even in the corner outfield positions, then again Rock is killing me this season so maybe his strategy is better.

Previous Page | Show All |