Help

Forum >> Help >> Is there any hope for poor Garrett Lovell?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
BrianV

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Garrett Lovell

I signed Lovell in 2026 shortly after taking over management of this team as a 22-year old player in AAA.

In 2027, with a meager 59 SI, Lovell was recommended to the majors. He threw 12.5 IP in 22 games, which tells you about his effectiveness.

In 2028, he was on the full-time roster with a bump up to 67 SI. Unfortunately, the AI more or less refused to ever call him unless the situation was dire due to injuries or extra innings when there were no other options. He got 9 innings in Cup games, and 24 in League play for a total of 33 IP. He closed out the year with a terrible 7.50 ERA.

This season so far, he has 76 SI, 18 innings in Spring, 13.5 in Cup play and 7 so far in league play for a total of 38.5 IP. His numbers in Spring and Cup play look good, but the 6 times he's been called into league games have been absolute disasters. He hasn't had a good outing yet!

Without a doubt, I've lost a bunch of games due to this hapless wonder.

I feel tempted to cut him because I am sick of waiting for him to start to become effective... but another 15 SI (ie, a good year of development) and he could be a good middle reliever.

How would you handle him?

Updated Wednesday, October 19 2016 @ 10:58:40 am PDT
Spoonerific

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Even if this guy fully develops (which he probably won't) he's a 12 POT guy with 40 SI in defensive skills, not a combo you really want in a pitcher. Even if he fully develops, he'll peak and then start decline soon after and since his peak (12 POT remember) isn't very high he'll be pretty bad soon after being adequate. Him costing you games now, will not be worth the investment in the future basically.

Finding a more developed geezer (32+ guy) to replace him might be better in the short term
amalric7

New York Lancers
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
If you want guys like this to develop you have to play them, and take your lumps. He needs to be starting games and have his hook set to 8-10, pitch count to 100-120: that way he'll get his IP up, which is how these guys develop.

But Spoon is right, there's limited upside here - a guy with a good fastball and nothing else (possible pitching profile: 18/10/9/11/17) can only do so much. Its time to decide now which way you want to go.
BrianV

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
After the feedback, I've cut him. No more reading postgame reports and wanting to throttle the guy...

Previous Page | Show All |