Help

Forum >> Help >> Position   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
jonny6

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I was just wondering how it works when a player has two positions that he can play at the major league level. For example I signed a very good fielder a couple years ago list as a OF c. Because of this I would use him as both centre field and catcher but with more action at catcher. Not surprisingly after a season or two the player eventually became a C OF player. Is there some sort of hidden attribute where he actually became a better C then OF or is it just the default way that the game presents the position? Ultimately it's not a very important factor but I was still interested in how it worked?
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Actually it is important. What you are looking at is the visual manifestation of positional experience which affects how well he will play that position. In terms of the ordering of the positions the one listed first is the one that he has the most experience at, and therefore would theoretically play the best right now. That does NOT necessarily mean that it is the position he is best suited for, since that involves looking at what his defensive skill-set is/will be. The ideal is matching the skill-set to the correct position early in the minor league career so that his primary position (the one listed first) matches his skills by the time he is in the majors. Sometimes there just isn't enough time to get the training done, that is when it gets tricky.
jonny6

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Ok thanks that clears things up for me. And actually he was almost perfect at all defensive positions so ideally I should have had him at centre permanently but I was deeper in the OF than at catcher and apparently he gained enough experience at catcher that it became his main position. The player I was using as an example was 28 when I signed him so I actually didn't develop him but despite having a very low batting rating he's been an very valuable player for me and helped me get out of one of the harder tier 5 leagues in the game

Previous Page | Show All |