Help

Forum >> Help >> Just Started   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
chris_smeaton

Garden Grove Highlanders
VI.9

Broken Bat Baseball
Hey, I just started playing and the season is over (my team finished last and did not make the playoffs).

What can I expect during the off-season?
How do I fire my manager? (he making over 5 mil.)
How does the draft work (when does it reset?)
What is the best resource for advancing in the game?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
brentswagger

Lakeville Bears
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
A few ideas. Start scouting the free agents. They will all go through waivers when they roll the season over. Put claims in on all guys you want. Waivers are random so if you go after a guy with 150 claims in on him it's not likely you get him. If you go under new managers and find one you like just click to hire him and it will fire your old manager. You typically get to draft a player each Friday but it does change a bit between seasons. You should get an alert when you can draft a player.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Well the good news is that you have a pretty good team. Looks like the original owner built a very good roster but once he left no-one else has done anything of note, so you have an old team which needs to get younger.

First up you could do with cutting a whole bunch of the old guys on your roster. They are already well into their decline phase and will just hurt you going forward, and they'll decline even more once we flip over to the new season (this weekend).

From your majors roster you can cut the following guys (check their career numbers though, and decide if you want to put any into your Hall of Fame), but bear in mind the minimum number of players required on your majors roster. Cutting a few is fine but try not to make wholesale cuts until you can sign replacements:-

Batters: Glass, Norton, Amaya, Sexton, Watson, Taylor, Cooper
Pitchers: Spahn, Zapata, Estrada; probably Salgado and Bridges too, but see how they age once the season flips before deciding

The good news is the other guys you have are pretty darned good, and give you a real solid base to build around. I'd probably set your lineup as:-

C-Alomar, 1B-Fredrick, 2B-Williams, 3B-Conner, SS-Aponte, CF-Aragon, LF-Miller, RF-Keefe.

Your pitchers from Marquez on down look really good. Your top minors are pretty decent too. Rice has a near-perfect C build; Daniel has a great bat but belongs at 1B; Pineda makes for an excellent LF; and McKenzie belongs at 1B or 3B at a push, but his bat will be awesome. Once you can start drafting and using free agency/waivers you'll be able to build up your team quite quickly.

The best resource for the game is simply reading the forums. There are always questions here and many that have been asked in the past, and there are plenty of experienced GMs willing to offer advice to those that ask.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
You may have to wait a bit before making some cuts. The game doesn't allow you to cut certain players for the first 30 days.

Also, you can always induct guys into the hall of fame after cutting them, so don't worry too much about that right now unless you are just curious to look at them.

amalric7 gave you a good cut list though. And you will want to try and make a little room to grab some good guys off waivers after the season flips.

Adrian Rice should really be on the major league squad (he is good enough). You should leave him in AAA until after spring training though. BTW, he has a great build for Catcher. I would never use him at SS or 2B.

Pineda is a bit old for the minors, but he isn't really good enough for the majors right now. Hopefully he develops ok with an extra year in AAA.

Updated Tuesday, September 13 2016 @ 3:56:43 pm PDT
chris_smeaton

Garden Grove Highlanders
VI.9

Broken Bat Baseball
Those are great tips. Thanks for the quick and detailed responses.

For Rice, I promoted him to AAA when I joined, but he did not play any games at AAA, was this because it was late in the season?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, they don't play late in the season. He will be 27 next year, so he shouldn't really stay in AAA after spring training. Previous ownership ignored his development and left him lingering in AA far to long. He probably should have been in AAA since 2026 at least, and in the majors for this entire year at least. I think he will still develop fine since he would still be getting minors training in AA (just not as much as if he were in AAA), but it doesn't hurt to leave him in AAA until the last possible moment, just in case. He looks like he could be an immediate contributor too. He is much better than Alomar defensively and he should be a good hitter as well. When you get into next season, I'd evaluate your squad as a whole and consider the option of DHing Alomar so that you can get the better Arm at catcher.

BTW, leaving him in the minors during spring training, still means playing him in spring training games. I highly recommend you do that with any good players still in development. You don't need to play fully developed guys during spring training.

Updated Tuesday, September 13 2016 @ 7:31:21 pm PDT
chris_smeaton

Garden Grove Highlanders
VI.9

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks again!

Next questions.
For the draft, when do the new draft players arrive?

Is there a dump of players that are here for the year and we select one per week? First come first served?
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
The draft is ten rounds spread over the entire season. The first round should happen over the weekend. There will be a "dead" week following that round for Spring Training. The draft resumes it's regular weekly schedule after that.

The pools are generated at the flip and that is the pool of available players for the entire season. The draft IS first come, first served, but the pools are sufficiently large, and there are enough separate pools, that the advantage to drafting early opposed to later is minuscule in each round. Round-to-round, much like a real draft, you will notice a gradual dropoff in quality as we progress through the rounds.

Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Each round you will get 10 guys to pick from out of the thousands of players in the pool. Usually you don't need to worry about them disappearing before the next Friday, but when it gets closer to the end of the draft and there are less players available, you will sometimes lose a guy from your pool if you wait to long. Its safe to actually click for your draft choices when you have a few minutes to evaluate the guys, and just pick someone within the hour.

Previous Page | Show All |