Help

Forum >> Help >> Maxing out Experience   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
My prior post was not to imply that the manual is wrong where it states that playing time helps skill gain, I'm not that narcissistic. I merely think that there seems to be diminishing returns based on the many players I've developed. I've had only about 5 or 6 hitters total gain 10 SI in a season (if that), all were 14 potential or higher. That doesn't mean it can't happen with lower potential players, but I don't think it is very common given that I have regularly thrown developing players into the starting lineup and let them play. Pitchers don't seem to suffer from this, as anyone who has thrown a developing pitcher directly into the rotation can attest to pitchers gaining experience much more rapidly than hitters.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, pitchers definitely seem to work differently than batters. They may or may not suffer from diminishing returns. I still try to get them some minimum number of innings each week regardless.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Once again, Rock, you don't even remember what you said...

That's why a rookie getting 80 ABs a week doesn't improve any faster than a rookie getting 20 ABs a week.

That's false. The manual doesn't support that statement. It says experience is gained with at bats and innings played.

Here, I'll create a challenge for you to prove your point and I'll throw it wildly in your favor. Find the 10 best improvements you can for a season for guys with less than 220 at bats and no minor league experience that year. I'll find the best 50 I can with no limits on at bats. We'll average your 10 vs. my 50 and see which is higher. I have to find five times as many as you, so you should be able to take advantage of outliers. Let me know if you're up to the challenge so we can bury your false claim once and for all.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
That sounds like a lot of unnecessary work as I don't care about proving anything to you.

While Mike's communication skills continue to suck as much as always, the one thing he has convinced me of is that 25 isn't THE magic number (which I already knew, but now have greater confidence).

I've always said it is diminishing returns, NOT a cap (as Mike tries to mischaracterize). The problem is defining Maximum is hard. Because there are trade-offs to playing less developed players. If you play them every game you might be able to max them in 3 seasons(and demote 3 times), while playing them more sparsely would give you winning seasons (while taking 4 years to max the players' SI). I think everyone has to decide on where the point of diminishing returns make sense for their team. I find that getting batters at least ~20 ABs in the majors is better than leaving them in the minors. If you can't get them some minimal number you are probably better off leaving that 26 year old in the minors. More than that I can not say.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball

That's why a rookie getting 80 ABs a week doesn't improve any faster than a rookie getting 20 ABs a week.

That's false. The manual doesn't support that statement. It says experience is gained with at bats and innings played.

Which could never be interpreted by a sane person as "players do not gain SI with experience."

The manual also does not say that experience is gained linearly. So your statement contradicts the manual as much as mine.

Updated Friday, September 9 2016 @ 3:47:00 pm PDT
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Rock, you're the one who said players don't improve faster even with more playing time. That's a cap. Nice try.

From the manual...

Experience: is gained while playing in the majors and to a limited extent in the minor leagues (ie. Playing in spring training games). There are several ways in which experience is gained: with each at bat for hitters, with each batter faced for pitchers and with each inning played in the field for positional defense purposes.

That could easily be a linear gain. In fact, if you don't read more into than is there, that would be the most logical conclusion. Thank you, Book.

Updated Friday, September 9 2016 @ 4:05:17 pm PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Again, misdirecting and mischaracterizing. Taking things out of context. So typical for a narcissist.

Improving does NOT imply linear. I said that I believed it is diminishing returns. Since you obviously couldn't be bothered to look up the definition, here it is:

used to refer to a point at which the level of profits or benefits gained is less than the amount of money or energy invested.

A free bit of knowledge for you today. There is nothing about a hard stop in there.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Here is the thing. Of the hundreds of statements I have made, you are latching onto one statement which is slightly hyperbole and arguing semantics. You aren't arguing against my point at all, just arguing semantics about a post I made a million (hyperbole) posts ago. Arguing semantics doesn't advance a discussion it derails it. Which tells me you are either (A ) an idiot with the debating skills of a 3rd grader, or (B ) a narcissist. I don't think you are an idiot. Which is unfortunate because idiocy can be fixed.

Updated Friday, September 9 2016 @ 4:15:02 pm PDT
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Your use of narcissist is getting diminishing returns.

Updated Friday, September 9 2016 @ 4:50:04 pm PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm not using it as a dig.

I'm telling you that you are one.

I know its pointless to tell a narcissist that they are a narcissist because narcissism prevents them from believing it.

But that is my personality flaw. My insatiable internal optimism always makes me feel that it is better to tell the truth than let being blunder on blindly. I always point out when the king has no clothes. A devastating lack of political guile and savvy. Its not a good trait. But its better to be aware than ignorant.

Previous Page | Show All |