Help

Forum >> Help >> A Few Questions   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Bridger

Muncie Flyers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I am about three weeks in to having a team and have a few questions...appreciate any help:

Skillcaps
How do I know when a player has hit his skillcap?

Is there a hard cap or can players progress once capped?

Does training slow at a specific age? Stop?

SI
Is there a known SI range for each potential?

End of Career
Do all players begin to decline at the same age?

Is there an age where it typically makes sense to cut players?

Management
Does the Hit-and-Run management option affect the player when he is batting or on base?

Which players does it make sense to prioritize in Spring Training?

What skill deficiencies make a player UNPLAYABLE on a major league team?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball

Skillcaps
How do I know when a player has hit his skillcap?

You can never really tell for sure, but a player normally caps at SI between (8*POT) and (8*POT + 7). Some player never reach their caps, and occasionally a player will exceed their cap by 1 or 2 points.

Is there a hard cap or can players progress once capped?

Generally excepted to be hard. Its believed that players exceeding their caps is caused by rounded display or ratings (they aren't actually whole numbers).

Does training slow at a specific age? Stop?

Yes, training (minor league) will slow if the player is at the wrong league level. However this gets tricky at 25, as players are recommended to the majors regardless of if they are ready. If a player has less then a year in AAA at 25 and isn't very close to their caps, I would keep them in AAA for an extra year. Training slows rapidly for players over 25. Its seems to be ok at 25, and you get some at 26, but players don't train well in the minors at 27 or higher.

Players also start to decline in their skills starting between 29 - 32. Don't expect them to go up much at this point, although sometimes guys as old as 30 still gain in an area they haven't capped in yet.

SI
Is there a known SI range for each potential?

Yes, max SI is between (8*POT) and (8*POT + 7). Although caps are sometimes broken by a point or two.

End of Career

Yes, but it varies. Usually between 29 and 32.

Is there an age where it typically makes sense to cut players?

Not a specific age. It depends on their performance.

Management
Does the Hit-and-Run management option affect the player when he is batting or on base?

Batting

Which players does it make sense to prioritize in Spring Training?

Young major leaguers who are still developing, and minor leaguers. Spring training is also a good time to get position training.

What skill deficiencies make a player UNPLAYABLE on a major league team?

That would vary by GM preference. I personally consider any pitcher who is Wild or Lacking Control to be unplayable. I also consider Hitters who will never be a decent hitter to be unplayable. Beyond that, it is dependent on position, and your preferences. For instance I have strict defensive requirements for a SS, but I am pretty lenient about their offensive capabilities. If you look around the boards a bit you will see what people consider to be minimum defensive build for each position. The manual also has some relative guidance on that subject.
Bridger

Muncie Flyers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks!
amalric7

New York Lancers
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Forgive me for being forthright, but I have to say you have made some questionable moves since you took over - some good ones too, but some that have me scratching my head. And I was the beneficiary of one of them, because I won the claim on Lopez!

Lopez was the highest POT player and best SS on your roster, which are two very good reasons not to let him go. I plan to have him in the heart of my defence for many seasons to come. But Gagne, Valenzuela, Kawamura and Romero are all high POT (13+) players who could have served you very well. You have a talented team as it is but I think you could have found spots for all the guys I mentioned.

I'd have cut Wallace, MacDonald, Hudson, Cogswell, Hatfield and Lauretti.

As Rock said, pitchers who lack control are of almost no value, same for hitters who can't hit (unless you have one guy, usually a SS, who you have in your lineup because he has elite defensive skills), and you have a couple of those in your minors. For instance, Meijer has a lot of SI but can't hit or field. The fielding won't matter too much in the OF where his excellent range and arm would make him a very good CF, but he doesn't steal bases despite an 18 Speed, so you have to ask yourself if you really want a defense-only OF on your roster. I wouldn't. Becerra is almost exactly the same player but is the better fielder. Sousa and Hunter are also very similar. Keeping one of each 'pair' would at least give you more space on your roster, not that you're needing that at this point.

Also, none of your twelve minors hitters have a positive hitting (Hit tool) report, which is pretty bad. Of those 12, 7 are only above average sluggers and 3 are average at best, meaning only two are decent (15+) or better. That means you have a ton of quick players (whose defensive skills are all over the board) who can't hit, and also can't hit for much more than above average power. Which means you're not going to get many guys on base, and when you do you're not going to be able to bring them in even if they steal a ton of bases - and only about 4/11 of your speed guys look to be decent enough base stealers. Which means you won't score many runs with those guys.

Your pitching prospects (bar Pascual) are all pretty good, some talent there. But I'd look to revamp your minors hitters immediately for better hitting players - as it stands Madrigal and perhaps Pinto are the only guys I'd keep. Keep scouring the waivers and free agent lists and you'll find some gems. I've spent my three seasons constantly doing that, and thanks to some incredible luck on waivers and in the draft this season I've made some really nice additions.

No-one gets it right all the time, and certainly not at the beginning (we've all been there), but hopefully I've given you some constructive criticism.
Bridger

Muncie Flyers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
You realize I am still in my first 25 days and can't drop most of my players yet, right? Some of the players you suggest I drop will be dropped in a couple days when I am able to drop them. I will probably hang on to Hatfield, though.

Lopez is underdeveloped. If he ever hits his potential, it will be when he is almost 30 years old...unless I am not understanding something. I hope he works out for you, though!

My Minor Leagues are mostly players I didn't choose...so of course I want some with better hit tools, but that will take time. I am putting in Waiver Claims every day and doing my draft pick each week. Is there more I should be doing?

It's interesting that you think Madrigal is the only one worth keeping. I was planning to drop him once I am able to as he seems underdeveloped for his age.

The biggest thing I regret is dropping Scott Scarpa.

This seems like a game that will take a few seasons (at least) to shape the roster into what I want it to be. For now, I will have to work with what I have until I can win some waiver claims and get some early-round draft picks to build around.

I do appreciate your insight and will look more closely at a few guys on my roster that you have a different opinion on. Thanks for taking the time to look my stuff over.

Best of luck!

Updated Sunday, August 28 2016 @ 7:38:54 am PDT

Updated Sunday, August 28 2016 @ 8:40:39 am PDT

Updated Sunday, August 28 2016 @ 8:41:06 am PDT
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball

Lopez is underdeveloped. If he ever hits his potential, it will be when he is almost 30 years old...unless I am not understanding something. I hope he works out for you, though!

You are correct in that Lopez is a bit underdeveloped, however almaric is also correct in that Lopez would have been an outstanding piece to build around. Players who are 14+ potential with good builds can still be worthwhile even if they don't finish developing until they are 30 (as long as they have a chance to actually do so). A few seasons ago some changes were made to the way that players decline that meant that it is no longer a guaranteed hard and rapid decline starting at 32, but rather a chance of decline starting then (though speed, velocity, and range can start before that). Thus Lopez could be a premium defensive SS until around age 35, giving 7-8 seasons of above replacement level play at SS.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball

Also, different skills start to decline at different ages.

Steve
Bridger

Muncie Flyers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks for chiming in, Steve. I read in another thread that you are the owner of "Bruins" in BuzzerBeater. I was in the NBBA with you for one season a couple of RL years ago. My team was called Lovable Losers. You have an awesome game here! Wish I would have found it a long time ago.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Lopez was pretty borderline given that he was underdeveloped. Not a horrible cut in general, but decent SS are really hard to find. Defensively Lopez was only mediocre for SS, and offensively he was a mess. The only reason I would have recommended keeping him is because you don't have a better SS on the roster, the bad SSs you do have are both 31, and Madrigal is probably at least 4 years away from the majors (a bit underdeveloped himself). You've got a gap of 4-5 years you need to cover, and Lopez would have been serviceable in those 4-5 years. As a new owner, I'd recommend upgrading as you find improvements, rather than blowing the team up. Especially with a SS. Other positions are easier to find. And always remember you pipeline. You need to plan for replacement for the guys you will be retiring at 32-35 years old.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks for chiming in, Steve. I read in another thread that you are the owner of "Bruins" in BuzzerBeater. I was in the NBBA with you for one season a couple of RL years ago. My team was called Lovable Losers. You have an awesome game here! Wish I would have found it a long time ago.

Yeah...been playing BuzzerBeater from season #2. Great game...just don't have as much time to devote to it anymore.

Steve

Previous Page | Show All |