Help

Forum >> Help >> Training question   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I wrote out an algorithm for how I thought training worked on the first page. In general, it seems like most folks disagree with me. Just wanted confirmation from you. The basic gist of the question is, "Do pitchers get less training if you set a hitting focus."
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Not sure what to say here. Primary and Secondary focus provide small bonuses to skill training. If you choose 'No Training Focus', those bonuses are just distributed among all the skills.

Steve
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
LOL. That isn't really adding any clarity. I'll assume everyone else was correct, and I lose training on my pitchers if I select a hitting focus.
Razzle

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I will give it a shot Rock.

Standard Training is a set amount for everyone. Bonus Training is a pool that you get to direct if you so choose. If you direct it, the points are added to the "Primary" and "Secondary" skill you choose. If you don't direct it, then the points are spread out over all the skills.

For numbers sake...

Let's assume the standard training pool per player is 100 points that is spread evenly over their 10 skills. (For this example, I am going to spread it over all skills, even the skills like arm/range/speed which I know don't increase like the other skills.) Each skill would receive 10 points. Let's assume the "Bonus" Training pool is 3 points per player, 2 points primary and 1 point secondary. If you do not pick any focus, the 3 points is divided equally over each players skills. So, each player (pitchers and hitters) would receive...

10 points in each skill for Standard Training
0.3 points in each skill for Bonus Training
10.3 points total in each skill
103 points total

I think everyone agrees with that. Now for the tricky part. What Rock is asking (I think) is...

If you choose "Hitting" as Primary and "Bat Control" as secondary, then Hitters would receive...

10 points in each skill for Standard Training
2.0 points in Hitting for Primary Bonus
1.0 points in Bat Control Secondary Bonus
103 points total.

Because pitchers don't have Hitting and Bat Control, Rock is wondering if they get any "Bonus" points at all. So, instead of getting 103 total points if no focus is picked, or getting 103 total points if pitching focus is picked, do they only get 100 points because hitting categories were picked and hence lose the 3 bonus training points?

If they do get Bonus points, I would think it would be spread out over all of their skills evenly and each skill would receive the 0.3 bonus.

Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
to me, the bottom line is to know if traning focus is a way to speed up the amount of time needed to reach the max ability in that skill
OR

a bonus ADDED to the player's original ability in that specific skill

the latter option would explain why there's the rare player exceeding his original Potential, by only one (or two? ) SI points
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
@Razzle - Exactly. However, given Steve didn't really get the question, I'm taking that as confirmation that this is done in the most straightforward manner, thus pitchers are losing training points. I don't know how big the bonus is, but over several seasons, I would imagine this could result in you "starving" one side of your team.

@Frank - Good question. I had always assumed it was just increasing the speed. I'm pretty sure that is the case, but maybe someone else can confirm.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Using starving is a great use of hyperbole, but it gives the wrong impression. Besides, if an owner chooses offensive primary and secondary focuses, it seems only rational that pitching would suffer.
Regarding the defense option, go ahead and choose that if you think that is double dipping by improving pitchers and position players. There's no stopping anyone from doing that, but don't forget there's always a DH "on the field."
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Not really. I'd prefer if my pitching coaches were training the pitchers, not conducting batting practice.

If I focus on power, its a focus for my hitters, not my pitchers.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I guess it depends on one's perspective. In this instance I think of it as our choice for this game. For some reason it doesn't bother me at all that it's not how it would work in the real world. In that respect it's like being able to change the ballpark every year--it defies logic, but makes sense.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Yep, I could see it being implemented either way from a gameplay perspective. I was assuming the more realistic implementation, but that is why I was asking for confirmation. I'm glad I did, because I was making the wrong assumption.

It may seem like hyperbole, but over the course of 4-5 years of minors training you can have a significant impact on your player development if you have two hitting focuses selected. It could be the difference between a guy being promoted at 24 or not.

Previous Page | Show All |