Help

Forum >> Help >> Middle Infield Range?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Shyfire

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
What do you think is the minimum range a player needs to play in the middle infield (2B and SS)? Is the range that your require correspond with the player's fielding skill (Less Range but Amazing Fielding, or No fielding scouting report but 20 range)?
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I'd say Range has to be 16 minimum for both spots.

You probably want the same in Fielding for both, although its less important at 2B (not you still want a positive fielding report, ideally).

Arm is much more important for SS (13 min?), and not nearly as important at 2B (7 min?).
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Here's my basic minimum requirement formula for middle infielders:

Fielding + Range must be > 28.

Also, range and fielding must both be at least 12. I'm willing to fudge those if he's a great hitter.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
My minimums are:

SS - 16 Range, 14 Fielding, 13 Arm

2B - 15 Range*, 14 Fielding, 12 Arm (max)

* - I sometimes use a 12-13 Range power hitter to put in when offensive production is required, but really that isn't sufficient defense for 2B.
Shyfire

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The main reason I ask this is because i'm debating what to do with Perez in my Minors. Initally i had planned for him to play 2B. He has Amazing fielding but a 13 range. From what i'v gathered from this thread is that 15 is where you want to be unless said player is an offensive powerhouse (which I don't see him being). Where else do you think Perez would fit in?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Tough build. I don't like having to deal with guys like that. 2B might still be his best position, but I would consider a 13 Range a bit of a liability. 3B is also an option, although his Arm is pretty weak for 3B. Still might be less of a liability on 3B.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
If you could "partner" Perez with a very high range SS, it would make him more attractive at 2B. Hard to guarantee that.

I would likely view him as a 3B, tho what I look for in arm at 3B may be less than others seek.
Shyfire

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I agree rock his build is a little tricky. His arm to too weak for my taste to play 3B as well as the OF and C. His fielding would be wasted at 1B (and on top of that I already have my future 1B in Ledesma). Thinking your your suggestion Seca, My current SS (and longterm) has 18 range and is 25. However buy the time Perez Gets to the call Roughly 5 seasons will have passed and Toyota will be 30. Taking all this into consideration I guess i'll keep him at 2B for the time being and at the very worst be could be a decent backup. Thanks everyone for your help! :)
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
His offense is probably going to be lacking, so second and short are the best spots for him. Depending on how your roster continues to develop, I'd consider trying to get him the lower case qualifications for second, short and third and plug him in wherever you end up needing him. The likely result will be utility reserve.
wuggla

Colorado Springs Vultures
VI.28

Broken Bat Baseball
mine for 2B is 14 range 10 arm
for SS 14 range 13 arm
i love a good deffence so both must be outsanding feilders

Previous Page | Show All |