Help

Forum >> Help >> Prospect rating and ranking   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
occham

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'd be interested in that as well :) I've been relying on the computer's assessments as I learn the particulars of this game.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I would strongly recommend against using the prospect rating as a tool for making any decisions. Steve added it to the game at folks' bequest, but he let us all know its was mostly to be used for fun, not so much information.

It heavily weights total SI and vs. age (as well as potential). So for instance, a pitcher with very high Range, would be rated higher than a similar pitcher with low Range.

Since Range, Speed, and Arm, come in already maxed, you'll notice that many of the highest rated prospects are speedy short stops. Who may have no potential to ever make contact with the ball.

Some of my best prospects have fairly low ratings, while some of my worst borderline buys had ratings in the 70s.

A rating in the 30s might be a red flag that you want to evaluate the players SI growth vs. age. But just do that evaluation at face value, don't use rating.

Ranking is just the list sorted by Rating. So it doesn't really mean anything different than Rating.

Updated Sunday, August 7 2016 @ 3:38:17 pm PDT
Dan6176

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks Rock.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Things to rely on the computer assessments for:

- Minors level
- Overall Potential

Things not to rely on:

- Prospect ratings
- Default lineups or pitching

Things to stop relying on once you figure them out:

- Management settings

Updated Sunday, August 7 2016 @ 3:43:35 pm PDT
bullet67

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm not sure if this ties into the topic under discussion so forgive me if it doesn't. I've seen a lot of talk up here about a player having a c beside his name when talking about development. What exactly does that letter refer to? Also, why would a player have the same position twice beside his name, meaning for example, ss ss?
Squiddcatt

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
c would mean catcher but I've never seen double shortstop or any other position.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm not sure if I'm understanding your questions correctly, but I'll answer what I think you are asking.

Players have positional experience. For instance, a player who is a trained Catcher, will have a C. However a player will less positional experience at catcher would only have a "c".

Positional experience works on a scale something like (notional only):

Nothing- - - - - - - c- - - - - - - C - - - - - - Maximum

Only nothing, c, and C are visible on a player's card.

Now in terms of seeing both upper and lower case, lets look at Johnny Dillon as an example:

dil.jpg

The 1B in the top right corner will always be capitalized. This is just showing the player's best position. Its actually a little confusing, but you should generally just ignore that value.

The 1b after "Positions:" shows how experienced he is. So Dillon doesn't have good positional experience in any position, rather just marginal experience at 1B. Some young players don't start out with good experience in any position, and will need to be trained. Some older players who DH all the time, or play out of position, will also have no "good" position. Players constantly lose positional experience at a very small rate. So if they don't get enough games at that position throughout the year, they will lose it.

If we look at Julian Izquierdo's development graph you can see how tenuous position experience can be.
izdg.jpg
I had initially tried to make him a 3 position utility infielder, but you can see what happened. At one point he actually degenerated to ss,2b,3b.

Updated Monday, August 8 2016 @ 7:38:52 pm PDT
TheBa8e

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@Rock

Incredibly well written! This is the best response to a newbie question I've seen on the forums! Well done!
Dan6176

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
http://brokenbat.org/player/130742
This is my top prospect and I wanna see if I got an idea of how to project his growth. He is a 13 pot with 65 skill points now. I think he can grow 46 more points. If his arm, speed, and range are maxed when drafted at 11,11,and 15 does it mean his other skills can grow to hitting 15, bat control 15, plate discipline 14, power 14 and fielding15?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
See this thread for an example of player projection.

And this thread for an explanation of scouting reports. You'll note that the maximum amount of hitting for your player is 13.

Previous Page | Show All |