Help

Forum >> Help >> Playing Out Of Position   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
brentswagger

Lakeville Bears
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I didn't really see anything on this. It might be more undefined and just opinions on what managers have experienced. What sort of penalty is there for playing a player out of position (lets assume the worst and he doesn't have any experience at that spot). Also, do you think the penalty is just in fielding or other areas as well?
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
Not sure this can be answered, only guessed at.

Certainly there is a fielding penalty with a greater chance of errors. The effect would be more pronounced and noticeable at key positions, like SS. Anyone who has ever tried to train a SS at the big league level can recount tales of pain from errors early in the process. I did it and it was painful to watch. However, at some other positions I confidently play guys out of position. Like LF.

I would also propose that it is possible that range is affected by lack of position knowledge. But that has never been discussed to my knowledge. However, it makes some sense that all of the defensive attributes are reduced to some degree.

So besides the direct effect of errors and depending on position other effects could include fewer double plays, more stolen bases, fewer outfield assists, less team range so more pitching stress.

This season I have been playing a 1B out of position. Small letters, 11 fielding. I have very capable infielders otherwise when he's at first. And my team has the fewest double plays in my division. Coincidence? RNG? Something else?

Who knows exactly. Not me. It's all a wild guess.

Updated Thursday, July 28 2016 @ 9:24:18 am PDT

Previous Page | Show All |