Help

Forum >> Help >> Player evaluation   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
g10rsh

Champaign Suzumebachi
VI.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm in my second season playing, and I think I'm starting to get the hang of things, still working on understanding player skill progression. The best player in my minors is about ready to move up(I'm planning on keeping him in AAA until the next season starts hoping he'll grab rookie of the year, as unlikely as that is) He has high potential (14) and is probably my best bet at getting a real defensive shortstop on my team.

My question is, will his low BC and PD negate the high Hit and Power that he is forcasted to gain and make him a terrible bat?

This is the player in question.
http://brokenbat.org/player/101223
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I think he'll be more than adequate, especially since you're planning on him being your shortstop. Don't expect him to kill it like he is in AAA this year, but I'd count on him putting up numbers like the rest of his minor league career. His L/R split is pretty severe. If you have a guy to start at short against lefties, you could have a very good platoon.

Edit--After looking over your roster, Smith should be a nice platoon partner with him. Smith has obviously been a sore spot in the field this year, but the worst should be behind him now.

Updated Tuesday, June 14 2016 @ 11:48:04 pm PDT
Endrju

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
This guy will be a stud, from my observation BC only affects strikeouts and average, PD affects walks and strikeouts. You should put him in cleanup spot.
I have a very similar player that is very reliable so far in LL VI and V.
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
He looks alot like my 2B Sanchez. Your guy will end up with better BC and PD.

Your guy should be great. He will be an explosive player for you. He will strikeout alot and walk little. What's really too bad is that 17 speed doesn't translate to stolen bases for him. That would make him explosiver. (Yes, I just made that word up, it's not a typo). Depending on how he actually produces, I would like him anywhere from 4 to 7 in the batting order. If he could steal, I might bat him 9th.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Guys with bad PD strike out a lot, but guys who also have bad BC strike out even more. His PD looks ok to me. If you look at his development graph, PD has actually grown at a decent rate. His BC is a concern though. Expect 100+ Ks a year, and inconsistent performance. Sometimes he will hit .290 and sometimes he will hit .190.

Another issue is going to be him being a total sieve at SS given he has very little experience at the position.

Regardless of his poor BC he is a good hitter for a SS. Once you get him trained up in the position he should be a very valuable piece.
g10rsh

Champaign Suzumebachi
VI.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks for all the input. It's been really helpful for understanding how BC and PD work into stats specifically. I switched him to train for SS as soon as I took over the team, so hopefully hell get the lowercase soon.

Dan6176

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't think he'll hit as many homers as he did this year because of the dimensions of your park. I'm thinking a lot of doubles from him. I would try him at first base because his fielding pct is not to good everywhere else. Your current 1st baseman is getting older and is starting to lose skill points.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I would consider Leon suboptimal at 1B. Especially with his low BC. His defensive skills would also be completely wasted at 1B. You would be better off playing him at 3B. But really, with some additional training he will be a very nice SS option. That seems like the right way to go with him.

Also, having a lefty hitting SS is a big boon. A lefty hitting 1B who throws righty is actually a bit behind the curve.

Updated Thursday, June 16 2016 @ 9:04:18 am PDT
Dan6176

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
After further review, I take back switching this guys position. I'd like to have my SS fielder pct at. 965, though he is just under it. He is also my HR and RBI leader. Maybe he'll improve some more.

Previous Page | Show All |