Help

Forum >> Help >> Development Advice   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
He'll be a fine fielder at SS by the time he's done developing.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
SS is the one position I would require capital position training at. I trained Doyle at 2B in the majors, and it went alright, but not great. Doyle had 17 fielding and 17 range though. I wouldn't try playing someone without full position experience in the majors at 2B or SS unless they were 17+ in both of those. Fielding percentage can fluctuate even for the best fielders with full position experience, so it can be a bit misleading depending on how many opportunities they get. Players don't slump as badly on defense as pitchers do or hitters do on offense, however some variation will occur season to season even with everything remaining the same.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I would keep Lopez in AAA next year just because he is underdeveloped. He will likely get his SS during the next year, so that would be a bonus. He does seem to have some difficulty fielding the position in the minors, but with a bit more experience and fielding growth he should be an ace SS.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Dan, you are right to look towards stats for true player evaluation. Its just hard to see things accurately at the minors levels (other than what Tiger pointed out). Also, players can change dramatically as they develop. A guy who isn't going long now, isn't necessary going to stay that way. For pros, statistics evaluation all they way. For minors some statistics evaluation is fine, but don't give it excessive weight (other then the things Tiger called out).

That said, this is more of a GM game than a Manager game. You need to do several things at once. If you always play the right guy in the right position every game, then your younger players won't develop well. So the true challenge is finding the right balance. I wasn't trying to suggest that every new pitcher should be played as a starter, but rather that you need to make sure you get innings for guys if you want them to develop.
Dan6176

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
When I started, my team was a mess. I had numerous pitchers that I had to demote and a minors system full of lower than 12 pot prospects. I made a lot of transactions to try to rebuild my minors and try to stay competitive. I've stayed in 2nd or 3rd all year being as close as 4gms back before intradivision play. Well the West is much stronger than the East. My goal is 80 wins and I think I had a decent first year. My plan in the off season is get some pitching and left handed corner outfielders with pop to take advantage of the short power alley in right. I think I'm gonna pull in the corners 15-20 ft and left center 10 ft. I'll leave center pretty deep.
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Well, if Lopez can pick up his capital ss AND I were to bring him up he still wouldn't be playing full-time. I would probably platoon him against LHP. It's all still speculation though. Cooper has been doing fine at SS but I see him eventually moving to 3B for Lopez. Of course I might find a stud SS on waivers too but we all know that's the biggest longshot. :)
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
No, the biggest long-shot is winning the lottery on a stud pitcher on waivers. I still haven't done it once in 12 seasons.
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Lopez just promoted to AAA. That actually encourages me to leave him in the minors longer.
5L1NK

Farmington Hills Cardinals
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Seeing as how I have 9 games left and they don't really matter, would it be a bad idea to give macaluso a couple starts? I'm prepared to deal with that 30k hike in salary.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
There is nothing wrong with giving him starts. The biggest question is giving him AAA time. He is 24 and not ready for the majors. This means he still has training to gain. He will gain some in the majors, but he will gain optimally in the recommended minors level. Next year he will be recommended for the majors because he will be 25 (even though he probably needs more AAA time). So this is your last opportunity to get a really nice AAA training update. That is why I recommend keeping him down until after spring training at least.

If you want to bring him up to pitch and put him back in AAA for the Friday update, that would work as well, but I *think* the major league experience is wasted when you do that.

In the end its up to you. He isn't too badly underdeveloped, just a little. He might be ok with an early promotion anyhow as others have pointed out. So its your call as the GM.

Previous Page | Show All |